It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US military blocks Google from mapping bases

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 6 2008 @ 06:54 PM
link   

US military blocks Google from mapping bases

www.breitbart.com

The US Defense Department said Thursday it was forbidding Google from filming and depicting in detail its military bases, after officials found precise imagery of a Texas base on the Google Maps website.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 6 2008 @ 06:54 PM
link   
I guess the line does have to be drawn somewhere. But there may be more to this story. I wonder if the government is afraid of what Google might find what is really going on in some bases. Oh say...I don't know.......internment camps!! If there is nothing to hide, there shouldn't be a problem. But I am sure it will be written off as detrimental to base security. I must say, the feds sure did nip this in the bud very quickly.

www.breitbart.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 6 2008 @ 06:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by palehorse23
I wonder if the government is afraid of what Google might find what is really going on in some bases. Oh say...I don't know.......internment camps!! If there is nothing to hide, there shouldn't be a problem.

Dude, I'd rather not have the enemy get off cheap and use Google to fill their targeting folders. We're not hiding internment camps, just how many planes are on the flightline, how many tanks in maintenance, etc.

posted on Mar, 6 2008 @ 08:10 PM
link   
This does not bother me one bit. I live on a military base. I certainly wouldnt want people (terrorists) knowing where our base housing is. You take out the people who work in the military, you have no military.

It really bothers me that they can see where my house is and where our kids go to school.

I also dont think the public needs to see everything about a military base.

Why on earth do so many people want to hand over military secrets to people who want to destroy us? That makes absolutely no sense to me.

[edit on 6-3-2008 by greeneyedleo]

posted on Mar, 6 2008 @ 08:12 PM
link   
reply to post by palehorse23

Oh say...I don't know.......internment camps!!

There is no proof that those even exist on military bases. Of the lists out there, listing "camps", most of them that they claim are on military bases can easily be confirmed to be false. I have been to or lived on a number of the bases w/ alleged camps....and there are no camps.

Seems to be just a rumour in order to scare people.

posted on Mar, 6 2008 @ 08:13 PM
link   
It was only a matter of time really. and a bit more time than I personally had expected. But then how many threads have people mentioned possible doctoring of maps in certain areas? I guess this way the govt doesnt need to keep monitoring the maps as they are updated.

posted on Mar, 6 2008 @ 08:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by VIKINGANT
It was only a matter of time really. and a bit more time than I personally had expected. But then how many threads have people mentioned possible doctoring of maps in certain areas? I guess this way the govt doesn't need to keep monitoring the maps as they are updated.

Why does this bother you so much?

Do you really want our "enemies" having access to our military bases? Do you want them to be able to take inventory of what jets are in service, etc. Where we keep our weapons and how much of it? Where our military members live? And the list can go on.

Should we just take down the fences and get rid of guards and let anyone and everyone have access to military bases?

I think not.

posted on Mar, 6 2008 @ 08:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by greeneyedleo

Why does this bother you so much?

Doesnt bother me at all. I think that for the sake of security it should have been done a long time ago. I was only surpised it took this long.

I remember years ago before Google maps of anykind, seeing aireal pics that included military bases and oil refineries etc and was surprised that they were so openly available to the public.

posted on Mar, 6 2008 @ 09:21 PM
link   
reply to post by greeneyedleo

hey leo, long time no see. I do have a question and you are the best to answer it. Why would the gov. allow google to photo anything in the first place? Wouldn't they just say sorry, I don't think so. And such a big company as google. What really is the need for them to take photos anyway.
Also, as previously stated, haven't other images, maps been available for quite awhile? Doesn't anyone think that if people wanted to get access, they could without needing google to help them? Just a thought.
Sorry, I just got a weird feeling when I read this. Maybe a bit quick to react. If you check out my research project on the FEMA camps, you will see that the coordinates that I looked into and my partners did as well, were by no means anything close to that of a detainment camp. But, it is hard to look at every base that we have.

posted on Mar, 6 2008 @ 09:34 PM
link   
One of the biggest complaints the military has is lack of room on military bases. I don't think many have room for an internment camp.

Sure, some bases do. Eglin has I don't know how many acres of land for ranges and whatnot. So does Edwards. If there were camps at any bases, people would have noticed by now.

posted on Mar, 6 2008 @ 09:54 PM
link   
reply to post by jerico65

What about the so called 4 million acre "mental health center" in Alaska that is claimed to be a camp. Why have such a facility when Alaska has one of the lowest mental health populations? Just playing devil's advocate. Not all suspected camps are on bases. I think most assume they would be there because since the military already resides on bases, logically it would make since to house prisoners closest to their captors.

apc

posted on Mar, 6 2008 @ 09:56 PM
link   
I'm starting to wonder about Richards Gebaur. It's been decommissioned for almost twenty years but I went and checked it out a couple years ago after I saw it on the List. Fenced in tarmac full of new cars. I think it's part of the Smartport now, which smacks of NAU. You can zoom right in on everything still. Looks pretty innocent, but my tin foil antenna are still on alert.

>

Originally posted by greeneyedleo
I also dont think the public needs to see everything about a military base.

The public should be able to see how much tread is left on their tires.

[edit on 6-3-2008 by apc]

posted on Mar, 6 2008 @ 09:59 PM
link   
reply to post by palehorse23

Where is this mental health center in Alaska? I live in Alaska and am unaware of it. That doesnt mean it doesnt exist. LOL Im just not aware of it.

posted on Mar, 6 2008 @ 10:22 PM
link   

It is southeast of Fairbanks. It was, not sure if it still is, called the Alaska-Siberian Asylum and was initially used for the mental health treatment of our enemies. There is also a railway that runs through Fairbanks into the area of the asylum. I read that "it sticks out like a sore thumb". The determination was made from low level navigation maps issued by the government. Apparently it is the only one of that geometric location within Alaska. Basically there is no other mental health facility of such a size in Alaska.

posted on Mar, 6 2008 @ 11:34 PM
link   
I'm sure the military has every right to be upset at Google over this. The airforce base near where I live has signs all around its perimeter warning that photography is prohibited.
Distributing images of military installations can be a very dangerous thing, I'm suprised that they don't mind about Google Earth.

[edit on 6/3/08 by NuclearPaul]

posted on Mar, 6 2008 @ 11:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by palehorse23

It is southeast of Fairbanks. It was, not sure if it still is, called the Alaska-Siberian Asylum and was initially used for the mental health treatment of our enemies. There is also a railway that runs through Fairbanks into the area of the asylum. I read that "it sticks out like a sore thumb". The determination was made from low level navigation maps issued by the government. Apparently it is the only one of that geometric location within Alaska. Basically there is no other mental health facility of such a size in Alaska.

hmmm. I live near Fairbanks, so I will have to look into this further!!

Is this what you are talking about?
en.wikipedia.org...

I have to say that I think that it is rumour and there is no such thing as you described. Like I said, I live here and have never seen such a place. If you could provide the evidence you have that it exists, I will drive to the location myself.

Im still doing some research...but from what I see, its all just rumors to cause fear....just like the rumoured concentration camps.

[edit on 7-3-2008 by greeneyedleo]

posted on Mar, 7 2008 @ 06:12 AM
link   
We have to ask ourselves if google should not also be banned from mapping our neighbourhoods.

I love Google-Earth, but this whole mapping-craze is becoming a bit too Big-Brother-Surveillance-like to me.

[edit on 7-3-2008 by Skyfloating]

posted on Mar, 7 2008 @ 06:16 AM
link   
Existing ATS News Thread found here:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Add comments and opinions there.

Please search for existing threads before submitting NEWS.

Closed.

new topics

top topics

join