It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Florida, Michigan may vote again

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 6 2008 @ 06:23 PM
link   

Florida, Michigan may vote again

www.news.com.au

The Democratic primaries in Florida and Michigan were held early this year despite warnings from party bosses that they would be punished for doing so. The votes were declared meaningless and were not to count towards any candidate's overall tally.

But with the party's nomination race locked in a war of attrition between Hillary Clinton and Barack Obama, those states' delegates could be crucial in selecting a winner.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 6 2008 @ 06:23 PM
link   

Neither candidate is likely to reach the total of 2025 needed for the party's nomination, but the extra 350-odd on offer if Florida and Michigan were counted would help paint a clearer picture of overall support levels.

Well this is certainly interesting. Those 350 are certainly important and fighting over... AGAIN!

www.news.com.au
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 6 2008 @ 10:02 PM
link   
oh farout, I just read this in the Australian.

Florida, Michigan broke rules with early vote so may require a second poll...

How corrupt.

posted on Mar, 8 2008 @ 07:41 AM
link   
reply to post by Thurisaz

Originally posted by Thurisaz

How corrupt.

I would modify your post to read

Florida, Michigan broke rules with early vote so may require a second poll as penalty, their delegates will not be counted, no matter how Hillary Clinton tries to cheat them into her column...

posted on Mar, 8 2008 @ 08:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by jsobecky
reply to post by Thurisaz

Originally posted by Thurisaz

How corrupt.

I would modify your post to read

Florida, Michigan broke rules with early vote so may require a second poll as penalty, their delegates will not be counted, no matter how Hillary Clinton tries to cheat them into her column...

How is it just Hillary cheating them? Wouldn't the early vote have to have been accepted by both delegates (Hillary AND Obama)?

posted on Mar, 8 2008 @ 08:42 AM
link   
The candidates agreed that they would support the DNC's decision to punish Fla. and MI.

No other state, under the DNC's regulations, could hold a primary or caucus before Feb. 5. But last year, first Florida and then Michigan defiantly scheduled their 2008 primaries in January. This queue jumping not only undermined the special status of the four small states, but it also meant unfairly squeezing ahead of the throng of 22 states that had slated primaries and caucuses for Feb. 5.

The abuse was so flagrant that not only did the DNC play tough guy (stripping Michigan and Florida of all their convention delegates), but the party chairs in the four small front-of-the-pack states pressured the candidates into signing a pledge not to campaign in the two outlaw primaries. Obama and Edwards, in fact, even took their names off the Jan. 15 Michigan primary ballot in which Clinton beat "uncommitted" by a 55-to-40 percent margin.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

www.salon.com...

But then, after she got her butt handed to her in SC, Clinton all of a sudden found religion for Florida:

Only when the dimensions of her South Carolina setback were clear did Clinton begin portraying the Florida vote as ... well ... the 2000 Florida vote. The former first lady suddenly had a new cause -- justice for Florida. She pledged on primary night to do everything in her power to guarantee that "Florida's Democratic delegates [are] seated."

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

She only wants to follow the rules when they are in her favor.

posted on Mar, 9 2008 @ 07:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by jsobecky
She only wants to follow the rules when they are in her favor.

Well, it appears that way.

I just can't understand how a poll could be brought forward, the results handed in and then discover the poll is illegal because it was brought forward.

How incredibly convenient!

posted on Mar, 9 2008 @ 08:12 AM
link   
Either the votes cast the first time count, or they don't count at all.

If they count, then Obama is out of luck. If they don't count, that's a violation of a lot of peoples constitutional rights. By democrats, no less...personally, I'd be asking by what right does the DNC disenfranchize a group of people? Most of whom, if not all, are not currently in prison, or convicted felons...by what right does the DNC do this? None that I can think of...

I can't help but wonder though, if Ms. Clinton would be making such a fuss, if the votes had not gone her way? I doubt it...

posted on Mar, 9 2008 @ 08:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by seagull
Either the votes cast the first time count, or they don't count at all.

If they count, then Obama is out of luck. If they don't count, that's a violation of a lot of peoples constitutional rights. By democrats, no less...personally, I'd be asking by what right does the DNC disenfranchize a group of people? Most of whom, if not all, are not currently in prison, or convicted felons...by what right does the DNC do this? None that I can think of...

I can't help but wonder though, if Ms. Clinton would be making such a fuss, if the votes had not gone her way? I doubt it...

I don't know what legal footing the DNC has. But Fla. and MI. were warned beforehand that they would be sanctioned if they jumped in front of the line.

I agree that the real losers here are the voters. And as far as Hillary, she cheated by not removing her name from Michigan's ballots, as did Obama and Edwards.

The only possible solution, though imperfect, is a re-vote.

posted on Mar, 9 2008 @ 09:39 AM
link   
reply to post by jsobecky

Does the DNC even have the right to sanction a state? I don't know, I doubt it, personally.

Maybe someone who knows more about this can chime in? Obama and Edwards made a tactical mistake in thinking Clinton would agree to play by the same rules as everyone else.

I'm somewhat betwixt and between on allowing a revote.

posted on Mar, 9 2008 @ 10:42 AM
link   
reply to post by jsobecky

Yes, I 100% agree with you.

There NEEDS to be a revote. It's not fair that millions of people's voices are not heard, or that Hillary cheated and went against her PLEDGE.

A revote is, by far, the best solution.

posted on Mar, 9 2008 @ 10:53 AM
link   
Having given it a little thought, I'll have to agree it's the only equitable solution, rough though it is. Otherwise, Hillary gets rewarded for her cheating.

[edit on 9-3-2008 by seagull]

posted on Mar, 10 2008 @ 10:36 AM
link   
I cannot agree with some of you on this and say there should be a re vote.

All of the Democratic candidates knew that the delegates from those states would not be given out months ago, and none of them had a problem with it, especially Hillary Clinton. She said repeatedly that she would stand by the DNC's decision to not count the delegates. Now that she is getting beat however she wants to go back on her word and change the rules. It really goes to show what kind of a person she is.

The rules are the rules on this I'm afraid. Every party involved knew what the penalty for moving the primary up would be, and they went ahead anyway. Just because this is a tight race does not mean that the rules that were agreed upon should be changed.

It might suck for those citizens who want and deserve to have their voices heard for sure. But I suppose they can thank the DNC and their party for that can't they?

posted on Mar, 10 2008 @ 11:11 AM
link   
Oh, I totally agree with you, NYK. But the fact is, they wil compromise, and now it looks like a mail-in vote is the way they are leaning.

What good are rules if they can be broken without consequence?

posted on Mar, 10 2008 @ 12:55 PM
link   
Exactly.

And this should be a little lesson for all those undecided voters out there. This is how the Democrats operate these days. They will promise to do one thing when it looks like it benefits them, but if things turn sour, they are the first ones to back out on their word.

Is that really what you want in a President?

posted on Mar, 10 2008 @ 06:48 PM
link   
Makes you wonder if this was the plan when they originally not only did this but were permitted to do it. This way they have a fall back plan later on.

posted on Mar, 11 2008 @ 08:25 AM
link   
The only thing this proves is how certain Clinton was several months ago that she would walk into this nomination uncontested.

Back then, she was willing to throw away all those delegates and the voice of those people just because she "wouldn't need them". Now however, she is willing to go back on her promise to not count them.

If she would go back on her word on something like this, what's to say she wouldn't go back on everything she is promising to the American people.

Either way, I hope she crashes and burns like she deserves to. Being rid of the Clinton's will be one less thing this country has to worry about.

top topics

join