It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pentagon Bans Google Teams From Bases

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 6 2008 @ 02:03 PM
link   

Pentagon Bans Google Teams From Bases

www.breitbart.com

WASHINGTON (AP) - The Pentagon has banned Google Earth teams from making detailed street-level video maps of U.S. military bases.
A message sent to all Defense Department bases and installations around the country late last week told officials to not allow the popular mapping Web site from taking panoramic views inside the facilities.

Michael Kucharek, spokesman for U.S. Northern Command, told The Associated Press on Thursday that the decision was made after crews were allowed access to at least one base. He said military officials were concerned that allowing the 360-degree, street-level video could provide sensitive information to potential adversaries and endanger base personnel.

His comments came just a few days after published reports suggested that protesters used Google Earth to help plot their access to the roof of the Parliament building in London.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 6 2008 @ 02:03 PM
link   
I am surprised that they were allowed to do this at one base. Seems pretty sensible to me.

www.breitbart.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 6-3-2008 by 4thDoctorWhoFan]

posted on Mar, 6 2008 @ 02:19 PM
link   
You know, shockingly enough, we agree. This is a sensible move.

I see no need for Google to map out streets in military bases anyways.

posted on Mar, 6 2008 @ 03:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by InSpiteOf
You know, shockingly enough, we agree.

Yes, it is shocking that we agree on this issue.

I see no need for Google to map out streets in military bases anyways.

To take it a step further, I feel like Google is gaining way to much power. Now they want to get involved with healthcare records. Personally, I believe they need to step back.

posted on Mar, 6 2008 @ 03:26 PM
link   
GoogleZon is on it's way...

Anyone remember that?

Actually, this is more like GoogZilla

[edit on 6-3-2008 by Quazga]

posted on Mar, 6 2008 @ 03:42 PM
link   
I am not generally supportive of any type of censorship, but I have to agree with the military on this. Base structure and layout should not be public knowledge for obvious reasons. My brother was in Aberdeen with a guy who got his ass handed to him for snapping a picture of a fence. Nothing else even in the shot, just a piece of fence.

posted on Mar, 6 2008 @ 04:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by 4thDoctorWhoFan
Yes, it is shocking that we agree on this issue.

Thats what I thought! Amazing we can find common ground on a few issues, isn't it!?

To take it a step further, I feel like Google is gaining way to much power. Now they want to get involved with healthcare records. Personally, I believe they need to step back.

Ohhh Jesus! Here it comes, another thing we agree on!

Man, two issues in one thread, in one day. Freaky

posted on Mar, 6 2008 @ 04:10 PM
link   
I have to agree I know someone is getting a royal butt chewing for the 1 base that did allow it to be photographed. Wonder if Google will publish that content.

posted on Mar, 7 2008 @ 07:38 AM
link   
This is a very reasonable argument for the nature of national security. Not too many other countries would have this as an issue. It's common sense.

I want Google Earth to put as much effort in high resolution photos of Russia and China as they did North America.

top topics

join