It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: New Mexico House votes for brethalyzer to start cars

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 19 2004 @ 04:47 PM
link   
The New Mexico House has passed legislation that would require drivers to pass a brethalyzer test before they could start their cars. The bill now goes to the New Mexico Senate for voting.

www.kobtv.com
"The House has approved a measure that would require ignition interlocks on every vehicle sold in New Mexico.
It would require the devices on new vehicles by 2008 and on used vehicles offered for sale by 2009."

While New Mexico already requires an ingnition interlock for some convicted drunk drivers, if this bill is passed, it will affect everyone in the state. Taking the lead in passing this bill is Democrat Ken Martinez. He believes that this will be a quick fix for New Mexico's drunk driving problems. The test takes 30 sec. to complete, and also requires random rolling test to discourage others from helping you start your car. This bill goes beyond most car legislation by requiring used cars that are sold after 2009 to be fitted with the device. This bill is obvously targeting people in lower income brackets.

Additional Links:
Slashdot
kroe.com

[Edited on 19-2-2004 by SkepticOverlord]

posted on Feb, 19 2004 @ 06:13 PM
link   
Another fine proposal brought to you by the democratic party that likes to bill itself as the party of liberty and freedom for the individual - but actually delivers control of the group as a result of do-gooder policys like this. Now everyone can be assumed to be guilty of a crime and have to prove otherwise just to drive their car.

Stupid things I can predict to happen if the NM senate were to pass this and the govenor signs into law;

Your car stalls on the freeway and you get creamed while testing device takes its 30 seconds to process the results.

The statistics on rape,robbery and kidnapping of women from parking lots skyrockets due to inability to quickly start car and leave after they notice suspicious person following them to car.

You've used listerine in the morning before your new job interview after being unemployed for 6 months and the car won't start - you don't get the job.

I think as in all criminal cases the guilty should be punished not the innocent. This is lazy government that doe's not want to face the responsibility of telling the taxpayers that they need more money for law enforcement and prevention.

Chip,chip,chip away at your rights in the name of expediency until you wake up one day and realize you have none left to give away - what'cha gonna do then.

Freedom demands responsibility and vigilance, not the promise of utter safety.

posted on Feb, 19 2004 @ 06:29 PM
link   
Phoenix, you hit it on the head..YOU ARE GUILTY UNTILL YOU CAN PROVE YOUR INNOCENSE...
there are more and more laws passed and tech put into place..which assumes that we are all guilty of something. when i was in law-enforcement somebody called this thinking the "1%"...when u first become an officer..people are innocenct untill proven guilty and there are good guys and bads guys....after a few years the thinking changes to...if your not a cop..you are guilty of something...only 1% of people are the good guys and you work with them...
and I found this to be very very wrong............

posted on Feb, 19 2004 @ 06:31 PM
link   
The Democrats down have exclusivity on this MADDness.

This crap started with Reagen. All politicians are in bed with the MADD lobby now.

posted on Feb, 19 2004 @ 07:43 PM
link   
I know, I live in New Mexico.

It's complete and utter bull[crap].

Anyways, I'm pretty pissed off. Now anytime I want to start my car I'm going to have to give it a blowjob first.

posted on Feb, 19 2004 @ 08:03 PM
link   
First RFID tags ,....Now this......

posted on Feb, 19 2004 @ 09:17 PM
link   
When will the laws be stopped that punish the majority of people for being law abiding citizens.

STOP CRIMINALS FROM GETTING EASY JAIL TIME

MAKE JAIL PUNISHMENT

Bunch of dumb asses. Maybe they'll findout from the mass exodus that this law sucks.

posted on Feb, 19 2004 @ 09:47 PM
link   
Imagine this: A state without one single auto dealership.
Everyone will just go across state lines to buy a vehicle.

That brings up a good business idea for all of you inclined. Put a dealership just across the border. You're bound to make money.

Maybe there is something in the law that prohibits this though.

posted on Feb, 19 2004 @ 11:57 PM
link   
I can see it now, you're on a busy highway and run across a water puddle and your car stalls, the engine is dead...
You shift into neutral and try to quickly restart before you start a multi-car collision....
oops now you have to do a test...
boom, bang...
...or
you ride with a buddy who breathes into the device for you... system defeated
...or new blowing systems are sold just for this law, it would be practical since mass marketing applies to a whole state but not to just a few bad drivers

posted on Feb, 20 2004 @ 12:54 AM
link   
When I first heard this I though I must be in a dream, I can't believe people actually believe it will do any good.

Somebodys going to make alot of money off selling those devices. I wonder how hard it is to fool them. I would think it couldn't be that hard to market a device to blow for you.

[Edited on 20-2-2004 by outsider]

posted on Feb, 20 2004 @ 06:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by outsider
I wonder how hard it is to fool them. I would think it couldn't be that hard to market a device to blow for you.

If they do it like other states, once you blow drunk then the car locks up. You have to go to a state approved interlock site to have it repaired. So after the tow, and after the money you STILL get a DUI for trying to drive drunk. Even if it was an accident, you are "drunk" since you set off a machine.

posted on Feb, 20 2004 @ 08:47 PM
link   
I was talking to a cop once and she said that a certain type of chewing gum will register you as dead. I can't remember what type of gum it was though.

posted on Feb, 20 2004 @ 08:53 PM
link   
wait a second. I brought my car in RI, but I'm in NM right now. in 2008 or whatever does my car have to have a blow tube? or is it just cars sold in NM?

posted on Feb, 21 2004 @ 11:16 AM
link   
That is totally insane...so much for freedoms...New Mexico might as well just have mandatory public transportation.

new topics

top topics

join