It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Headless Horseman Is Real

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 19 2004 @ 04:42 PM
link   
"In Scotland members of the MacLaine clan from the district of Lochbuie shun the nocturnal sound of clattering hooves and a jingling bridle. They fear the sight of a spectral horse bearing a headless rider who forebodes death.

The name of the rider is Ewen of the Little Head. Ewen was the son and heir of a MacLaine chief, but the son envied the father's wealth and fell to feuding with him. There was much inconclusive bickering between the two men, and at last both parties sought to settle the matter by force of arms. In 1538 father and son led their partisans into battle, and the son was beheaded by one of his father's followers. From that time into the twentieth century, many witnesses have told how the headless Ewen rides to harvest the souls of Lochbuie MacLaines.

Ironically, this messenger of doom supposedly had a chilling omen of his own death. According to one story, on the evening before the fatal skirmish, Ewen met up with the Faery Washing-Woman, a Scottish folklore figure akin to the Irish banshee and the Welsh "Hag of the Dribble". On the eve of battles, it was her dire function to wash blood from the garments of combatants who were destined to die. Ewen was walking along a stream when he saw the old woman crouched by the water, rinsing a pile of blood-stained shirts. He asked her if his own shirt was there, and the hag replied that it was. But he might avoid his doom, she added, if the next morning his wife, with no prompting, served him butter with breakfast. Unfortunately, Ewen's wife was an indifferent cook, and no butter appeared on the table. The luckless man stoically munched his dry bread, then rode to battle that morning knowing he would not ride home that night. "

posted on Feb, 19 2004 @ 04:51 PM
link   
What I want to know is if he has no head, and thus no eyes, how the hell does he see where he is going?

posted on Feb, 19 2004 @ 04:54 PM
link   
Come on Jonna dude, he uses the force.

posted on Feb, 19 2004 @ 04:56 PM
link   
The photo in your post would make a nice avatar! A good story, thanks for sharing.

posted on Feb, 19 2004 @ 06:53 PM
link   
*sudders* I have had nightmares about headless horse men all my life lol...think i watched something when i was a kid and it scared the life out of me lol

Once when i went to Ireland And was staying near a beach i went for a walk about 12pm, it was a stormy night and next thing isaw was this guy on a horse riding along the beach....i ran like hell....

found out the next day it was a local guy who bred horses....

still i keep thinking did that guy have a head lol

top topics

join