It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hidden City in Missouri

page: 1/
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 6 2008 @ 12:10 PM
link   

Hidden City in Missouri

query.nytimes.com

Supposed hidden civilization found in missouri ages ago.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 6 2008 @ 12:10 PM
link   
I am a new member. I stumbled across this online.
Anyone know anything about this????

query.nytimes.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 6 2008 @ 12:13 PM
link   
Appears very interesting, but hardly breaking news.

posted on Mar, 6 2008 @ 12:26 PM
link   
reply to post by ThomD

You are not going to last long here with an attitude like that. I was contributing by informing you about a rule.

posted on Mar, 6 2008 @ 12:28 PM
link   
reply to post by ThomD

Whao there noob. Chromatico is right, so cool your jets there.

Back on topic. Have you found any corroborating data on the subject?

posted on Mar, 6 2008 @ 12:35 PM
link   
reply to post by ThomD

Good find ThomD. Interesting article.

Welcome to ATS. Looking forward to more finds from you.

Dizzie

posted on Mar, 6 2008 @ 12:36 PM
link   
I have no corroborating info. My interest in posting here was to learn more on htis topic.

posted on Mar, 6 2008 @ 12:48 PM
link   
reply to post by ThomD

Hi there and welcome to ATS,
Here's a few things you may need to know.

I've found that this isn't the average discussion board and time here can be very rewarding, or very short - it's all down to you.

Click on the link (here, highlighted in blue above) and you'll find some of the general rules and regs.
They aren't for punishment, they're to encourage civil debate and discussion on a wide range of topics.

Hope this helps, and look firward to seeing you around the boards.

apc

posted on Mar, 6 2008 @ 01:02 PM
link   
I've never heard of this. All other sources I find refer back to the original NY Times article from 1885. I wonder if Emmett Brown had anything to do with it.

Interesting that David Coates, one of the two stated backers of the claim, died "suddenly" in 1892 at the age of 51. It is worth noting he apparently had a drinking problem (source). I call into question his reliability as the claim that there were humans three times normal size is quite dubious given no such race exists on record.

This was most likely a real buried settlement with fabricated details to support Biblical mythology. I wonder if any of them were Mormon. Adam and Eve were supposed to be here in Jackson County, after all.

posted on Mar, 6 2008 @ 01:04 PM
link   
reply to post by apc

Indeed. Missouri was once a hotbed of Mormonism...I do think this is a hoax because the utter lack of corroborating evidence.

posted on Mar, 6 2008 @ 01:12 PM
link   
reply to post by ThomD

i believe there was pictures published related to this finding, a man standing next to the "femur" mentioned in the article. don't remember where i saw the picture, but i think it is somewhere on ats too. somewhat related to "giants" but i may not remember correctly.

posted on Mar, 6 2008 @ 01:17 PM
link   
reply to post by darkspace

Good call. I seem to remember something like that too.

OP, you might want to look into giants. It seems I saw something not too long ago on that topic. It might relate to your find, as stated above.

posted on Mar, 6 2008 @ 01:46 PM
link   
There's a picture in this thread that fits the description above. but for a human femur... apart from the size, something seems off to me about it. www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Mar, 6 2008 @ 03:09 PM
link   
yes, that is one of the pics i remember, but i think i have seen one in black and white, that was tied to the 1880's. wish i could remember where i saw that. could be that i saw it in a book too. i have a terrible memory that way. i can remember that i have seen something, but not when and where

posted on Mar, 6 2008 @ 03:32 PM
link   
Good find Op.
When I googled in the Mobley town and found their official site this was the opening page to the video. I found it quite strange and it only appears for a flash so it took a couple of attempts to save it for your consideration.
I have to say the first thing I though about were Reptilians from the story above.
This did nothing to make me think other wise. I wonder what the town stats are on missing people? This warrants more investigation, and if I can help let me know I live within a few hours from the location.

Also here is the link:
www.moberlymo.org...

[edit on 6-3-2008 by antar]

posted on Mar, 6 2008 @ 05:53 PM
link   
The story is a hoax; perhaps an "April Fool's" from Missouri that got picked up by the New York paper that didn't check its facts (the date is one week after April Fool's.) There is no such site, either.

How can we confirm ths? Well, the government didn't have enough power to mobilize then, so grave robbers and looters and everyone else would have been all over the site. The bones would have been given to scientists to study, and would have been well known. The area was heavily mined and continues to be heavily mined, so mining companies and local miners would have found other things had there been a city down there.

You couldn't have kept them quiet.

In short, it'd be very well known and documented.

posted on Mar, 6 2008 @ 06:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by RuneSpider
There's a picture in this thread that fits the description above. but for a human femur... apart from the size, something seems off to me about it. www.abovetopsecret.com...

You're right... there IS something "off" about it. It's a sculpture (not a bone) and the artist (not an anatomist) squared off the condyles on the bottom. Nothing could walk on that femur. There are other flaws with it.

That particular femur was commissioned by a creationist museum.

I read your emails at EvC Forum and visited the Mt. Blanco [creationist] Museum website, the site that features a photo of a "giant human femur."

But the Mt. Blanco webpage admits that the "femur" pictured on their site is not a genuine femur, but just a sculpture that the owner of the museum molded in order to illustrate an unsubstantiated story. The story came from a letter published apparently in an unnamed Christian publication by an unnamed Christian, neither does the original story even mention "femurs," not once!

source: www.edwardtbabinski.us... (and others)

So, yes, you have good reason to suspect the piece. A human *that* tall would crush any femur shaped like that -- there are certain modifications that happen as things grow larger (bones thicken and may develop hollow interiors; joints modify for heavier weight) and none of those show up.

apc

posted on Mar, 6 2008 @ 06:09 PM
link   
Oh come on Byrd. You're on a conspiracy forum calling hoax and all you have to support your wild accusations is a lack of evidence! P-shaw!

At least I was able to come up with one of the backers being an alcoholic.

posted on Mar, 6 2008 @ 06:45 PM
link   
Interesting topic. Reading the article that was posted, something struck me as odd. They indicated that the stone fountain "perfectly pure water" stream has a strong concentration of lime in it. Two problems with this. One, as hard water, it is by far from "perfectly pure". In addition, lime deposits should have built up on the fountain, eventually clogging it entirely. That just seemed odd to me.

I did find some information on the names mentioned.

Keating, George F. -- d. 26 Sep 1893 Moberly, Ex-City marshal = St. Mary Cem Source

No listing on the same site for David Coates. It is possible he moved out of town and isn't buried there.

So, this proves there is at least one element of truth in the story.

There is a historical research society specifically for Moberly, where the story took place. Perhaps add a query for research here.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join