It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

You're Health..

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 6 2008 @ 10:50 AM
link   
I just recently got over a bout of pneumonia, and it really got me thinking about how bad off I would be were that to happen during a major meltdown. Without the luxury of rest, plenty of fluids, antibiotics, and good nutrition, it would be almost impossible to shake it.

Thankfully no meltdowns ocurred, and I can breathe a sigh of relief now (literally).. A couple of weeks ago I couldn't even walk out to my mailbox without coughing my head off. Talk about feeling vulnerable! What would I have done were it necessary to bug out? I would've been hard pressed to carry myself, much less a rifle and a pack full of supplies. I'd have been dead weight to my family, and would've compromised their safety since they wouldn't leave me behind.

Like most people, I didn't appreciate my good health until something happened to compromise it. I'm guilty of smoking, despite knowing how bad it is for my body, so as of today I'm quitting. Wish me luck, cause I'm going to need it. This will be my third attempt, and as they say "Third time is the charm", or at least I hope so.

[edit on 3/6/08 by LLoyd45]

posted on Mar, 7 2008 @ 01:32 PM
link   
you're = you are, not your.

posted on Mar, 7 2008 @ 02:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Greek
you're = you are, not your.

Forget quitting, you obviously have much bigger things to worry about.

Seriously Good Luck to you.

I smoked 10 years and quit about two years ago.
I gradually reduced from 2 packs to nothing over 3 years.

After my lungs starting cleaning out some gunk I found I didn't want to smoke as much.

Now I don't like to be around it just like before I smoked. Gradual's the key.

To give this a top secret spin: Tobacco companies are evil doers and the government's hiding the true source of tobacco carcinogens:

Soylent Green!! (It's made outta people I tells ya)

posted on Mar, 7 2008 @ 02:07 PM
link   
Basic first aid will get you by in most survival situations. Obviously, the more serious an injury the more difficult it would be to deal with. Amputation, bullet extractions, huge lacerations. Those are all going to be iffy.

Infections killed our ancestors wholesale. So to be extra prepared, it might not hurt to teach yourself and practice some good, basic antiseptic techniques (alcohol is your friend) and stockpile and learn about antibiotics in a worst case scenario. From what I understand, though, some antibiotics have a limited shelf life, so you need to check on that.

But if you're stuck in a situation where civilization is collapsing back to the Stone Age, you're always going to have problems like this to deal with.

posted on Mar, 7 2008 @ 02:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Greek

Thanks so much for your contribution to my post. It goes without saying that one's spelling and grammar will be critical to survival when the doo doo hits the fan. I know I'm not perfect, so correct away.

posted on Mar, 7 2008 @ 02:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Nohup

You're correct about alcohol being our friend, and also the need for stockpiling antibiotics. Their usage should be discriminate though. At present there's only one that works for me due to building up a tolerance to the more commonly prescribed ones routinely taken as a child when I was sick.

Antibiotics have been overprescribed for decades by doctors as a means to comfort anxious parents who mistakenly believed some type of prescription was necessary for their child's cold which was viral not bacterial in nature. Over time these bacteria become resistant, and the antibiotics less effective.

[edit on 3/7/08 by LLoyd45]

posted on Mar, 8 2008 @ 02:16 AM
link   
I don't know if this would make a difference during SitX, but what about Colon Cleansing? I've never known anybody to actually go through that process, but from what I've read (testimonials) it's supposed to make you healthier and able to fight off more infections like the cold, flu & such, which might be helpful for those who plan on bugging out.

posted on Mar, 8 2008 @ 03:03 AM
link   
I hope you succeed in your fight against smoking (Yourself)!

reply to post by Greek

Welcome to my ignore.

[edit on 8/3/2008 by C0bzz]

posted on Mar, 8 2008 @ 05:23 PM
link   
reply to post by CherokeeDan

If you want to clean out your colon just start drinking coffee in the morning. I think most of those programs are just scams. Eat smart, read up on vitamins from a trusted source and start making sure you are getting what you need. I take raw honey (one spoonful a day) as a supplement because of the enzymes, but there are so many reasons why doing so is good. It doesn't have to be expensive and complicated

posted on Mar, 8 2008 @ 07:38 PM
link   
reply to post by AmethystSD

I also have a jar of honey, along with multivitamins and extra zinc tablets. As I mentioned, I've never known anyone to actually go though a cleansing, so I don't know if it really works as advertised. I brought it up because the OP talked about being sick. Although I have to admit that I don't take the honey daily.

posted on Mar, 11 2008 @ 01:50 AM
link   
what? i don't smoke.

loydd does. WTF are you quoting me for?

it doesn't hurt to write correctly.

i said it so you can improve. nothing else.

[edit on 11-3-2008 by Greek]

posted on Mar, 11 2008 @ 09:37 AM
link   
superglue is great for healing open wounds. It's what it was origionally invented for.

posted on Mar, 11 2008 @ 11:44 AM
link   
Colloidal Silver (more accurately "ionic silver" the way I make it and most folks make it, since we are using electrolysis rather than shaving small pieces of silver) goes a long way in preventing and killing bacteria and virus. All one needs is some pure silver, I use .9999 purity, some wire, distilled water (must be distilled to avoid unwanted chemical reactions!!!) and 9v batteries. It will stop colds in their tracks and can be used externally as well to clean wounds. It can even be used as an enema to clean the colon. It kills pathogens physically so there is no need to build it up like antibiotics. Here is a link:Colloidal Silver Instructions

It also works great as a house cleaner (like on kitchen cutting boards).

My year old son had an eye infection awhile back. Took him to the doc and the doc gave us some medicine with warning about painful burning during administration and restraining the baby while administering etc. I decided to try the silver first. Two applications in one day and the infection was gone. Totally painless as it is basically just water. Threw the other junk from the doc that had to be painfully applied over several days in the trash.

Warning: unpure colloidal silver can cause argyrea (gray colored skin) so do it correctly!

Additionally getting one's immune system in top shape is helpful. For better gut function eat L-Glutamine supplements. This helps your lower intestine grow stronger cells, absorb nutrients better and fight infections. Classic vitamin C is another great immuno booster.

For a great natural immune booster that has lots of goodness built in I recommend hemp protein powder (no THC in it). Here is the amino profile from it. Your body has a much easier time digesting these aminos from a plant source rather than animal (trust me though, I'll eat a mouse if I need to). The little arrows mean that amino is "essential" meaning your body cannot create it out of anything else, it needs this pure form to survive. I usually just down 2 tablespoons of this stuff in distilled water twice a day. After a month or so of doing it I felt a difference, I stopped for a couple of months and felt a difference too so went back to it.

Hemp oil also has a perfect Omega 3,6,9 balance for that end of health.

If one wants to deal with antibiotics then I make the observation that farm animals often need many of the same antibiotics that humans do, so next time you are buying cow feed
grab some antibiotics.

Really getting your immune system cranking will help in preventing bacteria and viruses from being able to survive inside your body because the bottom line is you can't keep them out.

Also pay attention to little things such as using a paper towel to open a public restroom door on the way out after you wash your hands (fecal matter from the folks who didn't wash is probably swimming all over the handle) or using disinfectant wipe after you were in a store and touched the counter. Noro virus can live for a couple of days on a counter top...yuk! All it takes is there to be germs on a countertop at a store that you placed your hand on and then rubbed your nose and then your immune system is fighting to kick it out when the invasion could have been prevented with hygiene. For example, soap and water kills birdflu.

Eating whole foods as much as possible helps as well. We live on whole grains, beans, vegetables and meat maybe once or twice a week. I think eating unprocessed foods helps boost your immune response. Eating this way is actually pretty cheap too.

On the quitting smoking thing. I quite back in 2000. Tough it out!! It is so worth it. I did it cold turkey. The first couple of weeks were hell but now I simply cannot understand I used to inhale smoke, it just doesn't make sense. Quitting will make you feel so much better! :rol:

top topics

join