It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Should the US Get Invloved In Haiti?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 19 2004 @ 03:51 PM
link   
I heard an intresting thing that said that the US might get invloved militarily in the island nation.
what do you make of it?

i say no cause i dont want to see another black hawk down situation.

[Edited on 19-2-2004 by Seekerof]

posted on Feb, 19 2004 @ 03:53 PM
link   

Should the US Get Invloved In Hati?

I dont think we should get involved in ANY other counrtys internal affairs.

posted on Feb, 19 2004 @ 03:54 PM
link   
no, there's no oil or anything valuable there... haha, just kidding... i dunno, i really don't care. i say let idiots be idiots and kill themselves off, why should we have to do that for them?

posted on Feb, 19 2004 @ 04:05 PM
link   
Normally I would agree but as a country our leader has put us out to the world as the great liberator and protector. We have lost so much credibility in the world how can we not help? I hate the thought of losing one single soldier to another conflict but we also need to repair our relationships on the world stage. Even though isolationism is a great thing to talk about it just doesn't work. Maybe a new president can repair our image but until then we are on a path we need to follow.

posted on Feb, 19 2004 @ 04:09 PM
link   
We probably will - but will wait until things get bad enough that there is international outcry demanding that the US do something - this delay would be so that we don't look like we are interfering but rather helping.

posted on Feb, 19 2004 @ 04:19 PM
link   
I for one, am sick of the United States being the "police of the world". Screw Haiti! Bring the troops home, and protect OUR nation, not everyone elses!

posted on Feb, 19 2004 @ 04:22 PM
link   
Yes! By all means! Put more troops in Haiti! Lets stretch the military even further than it already is! Great idea...

posted on Feb, 19 2004 @ 05:25 PM
link   
all the US is doing in haiti has to do with the US embassy, security of US citizens living there and stoping people from illegally sailing into the US with a small military group(4 people just investigating the situation), the military is not interfering with the country.

posted on Feb, 19 2004 @ 05:27 PM
link   
Gee let's ask the left of centre crowd what to do since they are experts at international politics.

posted on Feb, 19 2004 @ 05:27 PM
link   
The United States has already involved itself in Haiti's affairs on several previous occasions, last major one being in 1994, following the mass exodus of haitian boat people into Florida.

We sent military to help get Aristide into his position.

Do not forget that!

posted on Feb, 19 2004 @ 06:01 PM
link   
Haiti has always been a complete mess. I say we back the Dominican Republic so that they can take over and even things out. Haiti is so overpopulated that it would be a good thing for democracy. Any attempt at tyranny is a step in the wrong direction.

posted on Feb, 19 2004 @ 06:30 PM
link   
For Haiti is a no win situation, unlike Iraq, which has oil.

First of all, the U.S. has profit involving itself in Haiti, if they do get involved, all they get is a bad name and a hundred death soldiers.

If they don't, other world countries accuse them of staying idle, when children were being murdered.

What are they U.S. supposed to do?

[Edited on 2/19/2004 by surfup]

posted on Feb, 19 2004 @ 06:37 PM
link   
This is the quandry when you advance into a soveriegn nation. Bush invaded Iraq for humanitarian, and WMD. reasons. I'm positive that Haiti doesn't have WMD, but if the admin. doesn't address the humanitarian factor, they will find even less support internationally.

posted on Feb, 19 2004 @ 06:52 PM
link   
First off murder is murder so don't make it a poor children getting killed issue. People are dying plain and simple...but It's only 50 something people dead so far...no big deal.. (just sayin here, no offense so don't start sayin g I don't value life or anything)

Why should the USA get involved, we are busy with the never ending war on terrorism, isn't that enough?

So what if a country is on the brink of a possible civil war....and that humanitarian conditions will only get worse, forget that Haitians are building boats to try to sail to the USA anyway, it's just our tax dollars paying to keep them in detention centers in the USA for days, weeks, and months.

...oh yeah and forget that there are about 20,000 Americans living in Haiti... # they chose to live there or be there, let them fend for themselves.

AND what about BUSH? Florida has large Haitian population. It was Dade county where the majority of cubans and haitians live, that had the worst election miscounts. Will he get the USA involved to better his chances of votes from the Haitian population? Or does he risk losing it and perhaps even lose Florida?

The USA has had some interesting involvements with Haiti and Aristide. I haven't put it all together yet, but there is something just a tad bit off on that relationship.

[Edited on 2-19-2004 by worldwatcher]

posted on Feb, 19 2004 @ 06:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid
Bush invaded Iraq for humanitarian, and WMD. reasons.

Are you insane?

posted on Feb, 19 2004 @ 07:07 PM
link   
Yes Garon I might possibly be insane, then again I might have monkeys flying out my ass. Man, Americans can only see what the media says. This thread is "war on terrorism." Do you pick and choose? I think that the people in Haiti are feeling terrorist activity this second. Does this effect or benefit America, no. So this is one we ignore. If you are going to set youself up as the police of the world, do your job everywhere. I'm not talking about the average person, just your administration. Spin City is just a show, not a way to govern.

posted on Feb, 19 2004 @ 07:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Garon

Originally posted by intrepid
Bush invaded Iraq for humanitarian, and WMD. reasons.

Are you insane?

Okay Garon, just give intrepid the benefit of the doubt. We are discussing the reasons for entering a country and the previously proposed reasons of the US gov's recent takeovers.

Bush said he went to Iraq because it was a threat to the United States. Could he say this about the Haiti trouble?

If you want a conspiracy to think about, Haiti has a population of what, 8.5 million? Since Bush is probably the only conservative against free trade, he does not want to liberate and calm the uprising of people because it would allow multinationals the opportunity to go in and exploit cheap labor easier. Man, Bush is my hero! [/sarcasm]

posted on Feb, 19 2004 @ 07:21 PM
link   
My point is that the Bush admin. had it's own agenda for going into Iraq. But they spun it that they were a threat. Then when they didn't find WMD's they said that they were doing it for the Iraqi people. If you are going to be humanitarian go across the board. I hope that ALL of the millitary vote this November.

posted on Feb, 19 2004 @ 08:06 PM
link   
LOL, I love it when small nations get even briefly into American politics like this. It makes the swallowers of propaganda run around like headless chickens. 'We took out Saddam' ' yeah that was right' Yeah, we need to free them from oppression!
they needed our help'

But the rest, hey� our government says we can�t go in

AHHHH does not compute! Does not compute! Does not compute!

We went to liberate Iraq!

What about Zimbabwe? What about Cambodia? What about the whole of Africa? What about anybody that actually needs our help?

AHHHHHHHHHHHHH! Does not compute! Does not compute! Does not compute!

posted on Feb, 19 2004 @ 08:08 PM
link   
I actually understand why they don�t go into Haiti.
Just a general statement.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join