It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My reflection on the Rising Gas Prices

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 5 2008 @ 09:47 PM
link   
First of all, realize that it's not just the gas prices, it's almost everything. Here in Florida, a bag of 150 foam plates was around 5 dollars and now its about 12.

To tell you the truth, I think that the gas prices are reasonably manageable. Suppose your annual household income is around $50000 before taxes. Then you pay some mortgage, taxes, utilities, entertainment services, everyday needs; you still have a rather decent amount left over. Maybe $10000. (I remember a few years ago a typical person in the US saves about 5% of their annual income).

I believe that Americans are having a better life than the rest of the world no matter what. In China, the average annual income is rather low, some where between 10000 Yuan to 20000 Yuan. For example, a liter of gas costs 15 Yuan, a kilogram of ribs is 85 Yuan, a wearable article of clothing will be around 200 Yuan. This doesn't include education fees (50000 Yuan for a K-6 education) and housing. In countries like France, the income tax is 53% the last time I checked, and Europe's gas prices are way higher than the US. However, the French and the rest of Europe are able to manage it to a good extent.

Here in America, people are just not used to all this change because not many people have experienced life in other countires. In my oppinion we should not worry, because even if it costs $4000 a year in gas, there is still plenty of money left for other things. There is NO good reason to buy the latest gadgets, there is NO good reason to eat at the restaurant every week. There is NO good reason to watch every concert there is. There is NO good reason to order HBO and NBA TV. It is totally plausible to live without extraneous luxuries.

Nowadays, we slowly see that gases prices have risen about 100 to 300 percent over the past 5 years. We can cope with it, one less IPhone or one less HDTV is not going to kill you. Save some money for your children's college tuition, save some money for your retirement, and save a few hundred bucks to cope with the gas prices.

[edit on 3/5/2008 by die_another_day]

posted on Mar, 5 2008 @ 09:50 PM
link   
i know everyone can do what i have done, i havent owned a car for many years now

bus or bike or feet, trains sometimes even taxis work for me

i live in a city so most of all the things i do are so close to me a car is pretty much useless, so that aspect is wonderful

i couldnt imagine owning a car right now, although my motorcycle is still in california but even that gets atleast 70 miles a gallon

posted on Mar, 5 2008 @ 10:14 PM
link   
But for someone that makes $20,000 a year after taxes and has no choice but to own a car as we don't have mass transportation and I have to take my kids to daycare everyday and I can't do that on a bike, nearly four dollars a gallon is cutting into my food budget. I can't believe that a gallon of gas now costs more than a gallon of milk! It will not change though, Americans are getting used to it, and so the powers that be will keep slowly jacking up the prices. The prices rise, but our incomes don't. Forget cost of living raise, we need a cost of gas raise.

posted on Mar, 5 2008 @ 10:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Cowgirlstraitup7

sorry cowgirl, i noticed my typo, i meant to say I know that not everyone can do what I do

sorry

yes, i feel lcuky that im one of the few who has the ability to not own a car

sorry for the confusion

top topics

join