It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Surviving a plane crash

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 5 2008 @ 06:31 PM
link   
While the chances of being in a plane crash are low it is a very real survival scenario. Odds are that you wont have your survival gear with you . Even if you wanted to bring such gear on board it is doubtful that you would get most of your equipment thou airport security or customs .

So assuming you have survived a plane crash with mild injury's at most what is your next step ?

The only ideas I have is if is safe to do use the plane for shelter or a part of the shelter you construct . Fuel and or oil from the plane could be used for fire lighting purposes.

Aside from its survival purposes a fire could also help to convey your position to your rescues . Note I am assuming that the scenario involves a civilian flight and you want to be found. Although in some parts of the such as Africa you wouldn't the wrong people to find you . So that is also something to consider.

IMO there is nothing wrong with having plans and survival gears for the likes of natural disasters but you also have to prepare for situations were you wont have your array of gear and pre laid plans.

All members thoughts are welcome.

posted on Mar, 5 2008 @ 07:29 PM
link   
As you cant carry anything such as a flint&steel, matches, or lighter aboard, a plastic creditcard-size fresnel magnifier would come in handy to carry and be innocent enough to pass airport security

A similarly sized mirror should also be carried to use as a signalling heliograph

[edit on 5-3-2008 by citizen smith]

posted on Mar, 5 2008 @ 07:55 PM
link   
hmmm where ya gonna crash?
what type of plane/chopper are you in?
are there other survivors and what shape are they in.
these are the questions,

the mirror and lens are a very good idea and can be kept in a pocket. see not only is currant security regulations a pain in the butt , but if you are in a jetliner your carry on might not be very close. not to mention getting off an airliner quickly and in the press of panic would you even think to grab your jacket, let alone your carry on luggage? forget about anything in the cargo hold unless you are extreemly lucky. chances are you landed on it, it sunk, or it burned!

light aircraft are a bit better, less fuel, even less volitile fuel on some. in fact most light aircrashes they don't burn, unless of course they "pancake" in. so unless it sinks most anything you had will be available. also also some restictions are more relaxed the smaller a plane is. (i don't think your friend would mind you carrying c4 in his cesna)

problem is what do you need? well unfortunatly that realy depends on where exactly you are going to fly over. one thing that is an essencial piece of gear one place may well be totaly useless somewhere else.

posted on Mar, 6 2008 @ 05:56 AM
link   
How about salvaging as much of the useable parts of the aircraft as possible and rebuilding a vehilce to escape in?

One of my all time favorite movies!

posted on Mar, 6 2008 @ 06:28 AM
link   
Hi Expert11,
In a survival situation you should (dependant upon your physical condition!) set priorities, these being:
1)Protection.
a) Against immediate danger - explosions etc
b) Against the elements - hypothermia, etc.
c) First aid.

2)Location.
a) set up signals that can be picked up by searching aircraft, boats,
search parties on foot. (This is dependant upon enemy/hostage
takers in the local area of course.!)

3)Acquisition
Gather up anything (and I mean anything that is man-portable) that
you can from the wreckage, using the above priorities - blankets, first
aid kits, flares etc.

4)Water.
You can live for weeks without food (the stomach shrinks, hence gas!)
but you can only live for days without water, (we are made of it!)

5)Food.
If it 'walks, crawls, swims, or flies you can eat it - to catch it, dangle,
tangle, mangle or strangle it.

But remember...... - always form an alliance, before someone else does.

Practice makes perfect!
H

Edit to make it readable H

[edit on 6-3-2008 by Havalon]

posted on Mar, 6 2008 @ 04:12 PM
link   
Thanks to those who have posted replies.

Havalon I want to respond to some of your good points.

Other then leaking oil or fuel what signs could there be of a possible future explosions ?

My concern would be an explosion taking place after survivors have used the wreckage for shelter or camped out near buy . One unique thing about a plane crash is that depending on the circumstances you may have access to luggage or cargo that survived the crash . Generik I will leave it up to the members to answer the questions you posted. Since there are so many variables I think that posting a specify scenario would only serve to limit the flow of ideas.

posted on Mar, 6 2008 @ 04:22 PM
link   
After intially reading this thread I watched the movie Alive again to evaluate their survival methods.

I figure about the only thing I'll need after a plane crash is a salt shaker.

posted on Mar, 6 2008 @ 06:54 PM
link   
Hi Xpert11,
A lot of variables, regarding further explosions, i.e. type/size of aircraft, equipment carried on board etc,
3 things that are usually required are:
Fuel (anything flammable - oils, aviation fuel, alcohol, etc)
Heat (electrical sparks from the batteries, heat from the enginge)
Oxygen (to further fuel the fire)

If the power source (batteries has been switched off or removed, the likelihood is reduced.)

The first thing I would do after grabbing as much as I could carry (see my list above) is move to lower ground, (explosions generally go up or outward!) until I felt it was safe to explore the wreckage further.

Generally 12-24 hours. (Batteries drained, fuel leakage evaporated)
It is advisable to stay in the vicinity of the aircraft, (unless in hostile territory of course!) because that is where they are going to start the search area.

Hope that partially answers your question.
regards.

new topics

top topics

join