It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Passion Creator's Father adds to Flames

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 19 2004 @ 02:27 PM
link   
A rant from the father of Mel Gibson has gone on record claiming the Jews have fabricated the Holocaust and are conspiring to take over the world. This latest salvo of anti-Semitism related to the creator of the film version of the "Passion Play" will only further ignite fears the movie will incite a new wave of anti-Jewish sentiment.

www.NYDailyNews.com "They're after one world religion and one world government," Hutton Gibson, 85, said in a radio interview that will air Monday night. "That's why they've attacked the Catholic Church so strongly, to ultimately take control over it by their doctrine." Mel Gibson's father has made such outrageous claims about Jews and the Holocaust before, but the timing of this latest spew will not help the controversy surrounding the movie. This story is posted outside of the entertainment category since the furor surrounding this movie has extended well beyond the boundaries of entertainment news. I for one am very concerned about what the strong emotions of this celluloid Passion Play will cause. Related ATSNN News Stories NASCAR Marketing Jesus with "Passion" Related news Picayune's Christians anticipate release of 'Passion' 'The Passion' can benefit both faiths Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Mel's Passion and the conspiracy, it makes me sick! [Edited on 19-2-2004 by SkepticOverlord] [Edited on 20-2-2004 by SkepticOverlord]

posted on Feb, 19 2004 @ 02:35 PM
link   
A Jewish actress plays the part of Jesus' mother.

posted on Feb, 19 2004 @ 02:58 PM
link   
And? If I'm not mistaken... Jesus's mother was Jewish.

posted on Feb, 19 2004 @ 03:03 PM
link   
Because of the objection of many Jews to this movie, there's a big stink about her taking the part & speculation on Mel's motive for choosing her. Her family history goes back to Auswitz.

posted on Feb, 19 2004 @ 03:08 PM
link   
oh... so her ability to act (which is good) had nothing to do with it?

posted on Feb, 19 2004 @ 03:15 PM
link   
I've been watching the controversy about the marketing of Passion and supporting sale items.

Of course, they've got the key chains and coffee mugs, but they also picked up on an item that's been available forever. A crucifiction spike to be worn around the neck as jewlery recently made popular by the Promise Keepers.

It's been a $6.99 neckwear item for years found in Christian bookstores, but now the movie has added it's name and it's suddenly $16.99. I suppose some think the real controversy should be that a symbol of persecution should be jewlry, but isn't that what a cross is anyway? The symbol of Roman capital punishment? Kind of like wearing an electic chair.

But anyway, the recent bump in price is more of a shameless conspiracy than anything. That the "passion" is making so much money pretending to be a nonmainstream "controversial" movie.

This is so mainstream marketing 101 it's textbook.

Gibson's father's comments, though unwelcome I'm sure...play their role in the media frenzy.

[Edited on 19-2-2004 by RANT]

posted on Feb, 19 2004 @ 03:23 PM
link   
An Interview with Maia Morgenstern (the actress playing Jesus' mother)

et.tv.yahoo.com...

posted on Feb, 19 2004 @ 03:57 PM
link   
Please let me state that I live in the UK and I'm not familair with Australian Equal Opportunities and Diversity legislation.

However, I've looked up this on the Internet (using Google of course) and found this:

"RACIAL DISCRIMINATION ACT 1975
- SECT 18C
Offensive behaviour because of race, colour or national or ethnic
origin

(1)
It is unlawful for a person to do an act, otherwise than in private, if:

(a)
the act is reasonably likely, in all the circumstances, to offend, insult, humiliate or intimidate another person or a group of people; and
(b)
the act is done because of the race, colour or national or ethnic origin of the other person or of some or all of the people in the group.
Note: Subsection (1) makes certain acts unlawful. Section 46P of the Human Rights and Equal Opportunity Commission Act 1986 allows people to make complaints to the Human Rights and Equal Opportunity Commission about unlawful acts. However, an unlawful act is not necessarily a criminal offence. Section 26 says that this Act does not make it an offence to do an act that is unlawful because of this Part, unless Part IV expressly says that the act is an offence.

(2)
For the purposes of subsection (1), an act is taken not to be done in private if it:

(a)
causes words, sounds, images or writing to be communicated to the public; or
(b)
is done in a public place; or
(c)
is done in the sight or hearing of people who are in a public place.
(3)
In this section:

public place includes any place to which the public have access as of right or by invitation, whether express or implied and whether or not a charge is made for admission to the place."

Ref: scaleplus.law.gov.au... accessed 19th Feb 2004

It occurs to me that this "gentleman" might be in breach of such legislation - as he seems to be inciting race-hate?

It'd be nice to see him taken to court....

posted on Feb, 19 2004 @ 07:51 PM
link   
...there was a choice.....Puntious Pilot....washed hands....remember?

But on this movie:

Great, no, BRILLIANT marketing!
They've given advanced tickets to all the good little Christian groups & have made a stellar word-of-mouth buzz, generatedscadsof free press with statements and BOOM! An 'R' rated movie that parahocial schools will have field trips to see!!

posted on Feb, 19 2004 @ 07:52 PM
link   
In terms of this film being offensive, it's bull#.

Anybody remember Jesus Christ Superstar? (One of my favorite films) that made the life of Christ into a musical?!!?! It was #ing amazing.

Not to mention the Life Of Brian. Anybody remember that controversy?

What Rant said is the shocking part. Not the film.
If the film was made for that purpose, then that�s unforgivable.
But we all know who the one to judge that is�

[Edited on 19-2-2004 by kegs]

posted on Feb, 19 2004 @ 08:08 PM
link   
I wonder how Mel feels about his fathers comments regarding the matter.

posted on Feb, 19 2004 @ 09:00 PM
link   
Gibson is not inciting race hate by making this movie.

The Jews are calling attention to that fact that SOME jews in the area asked for him to be killed by the romans as it is stated in the bible.

Just because some morons have used this idea to promote hate for the Jews does not make the passage anti-Jew.

Nothing would hold up in court.

posted on Feb, 19 2004 @ 09:28 PM
link   
From Bout Time"Great, no, BRILLIANT marketing! "
Agreed. I think you are the only one who sees this. This
"controversy" slowly generated over the last YEAR. It started
by aligning the conservative Catholics with the evangelical
Protestants. This creats a grass roots movement that a savy
marketer can ride on to generate controversy. Notice how the
controversy has been guided such that if you are part of the
grass roots, its a must see movie. If you are a critic and think
there is something bad about the movie, its a must see to prevent
hypocrit-itus. So everyone is gonna see it. Thats Marketing.

/\/ight\/\/ing

posted on Feb, 19 2004 @ 09:43 PM
link   
This is really old news...

posted on Feb, 20 2004 @ 12:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by John Nada

"Mel Gibson's father has made such outrageous claims about Jews and the Holocaust before, but the timing of this latest spew will not help the controversy surrounding the movie."

No, it's not old news.
This is another tirade from Mel's daddy and has not even aired as of yet.

SO, the link to the NY Daily News article is messed up, has an extra http in it.

Link to story

-B.

posted on Feb, 20 2004 @ 12:13 AM
link   
WTF?

'to offend, insult, humiliate or intimidate another person or a group of people'

that is discrimination?

that is just about anything you want it to be, isn't it?

besides, I agree with his father, there was not 6 million Jews cremated as we are told.

do the research yourself, there are valid arguments and evidence and facts to dispute the number of Jewish dead.

posted on Feb, 20 2004 @ 12:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by KrazyJethro
Gibson is not inciting race hate by making this movie.

The Jews are calling attention to that fact that SOME jews in the area asked for him to be killed by the romans as it is stated in the bible.

Just because some morons have used this idea to promote hate for the Jews does not make the passage anti-Jew.

Nothing would hold up in court.

that's not what the story in the bible says? why would you change it?

posted on Feb, 20 2004 @ 12:32 AM
link   
Anyone that hypes this movie as anti-semetic is just looking for a little free pub. Everybody knows the story already. No one is going to walk out of the theater shocked that the Jews sent Jesus to the cross.

And, Mel shouldn't have to answer for what his father believes. He said he doesn't believe that non-sense. The media should let this story die. His daddy has a right to his delusion, and Mel shouldn't be forced to apologize for him.

posted on Feb, 20 2004 @ 09:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by Banshee

Originally posted by John Nada

"Mel Gibson's father has made such outrageous claims about Jews and the Holocaust before, but the timing of this latest spew will not help the controversy surrounding the movie."

No, it's not old news.
This is another tirade from Mel's daddy and has not even aired as of yet.

SO, the link to the NY Daily News article is messed up, has an extra http in it.

Link to story

-B.

Whoops! That's the last time I read this forum drunk.

Sorry about that, I barely remember writing it.

The Last time I checked Mel Gibson made this movie, not his father, so I fail to see how this relevant?

He has made a film that he feels passionate about and he is not going to pull any punches with what he thinks really happened.
The amount of people who are calling this movie anti-semetic BEFORE they've even seen it are stupid at best.

posted on Feb, 20 2004 @ 10:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by John Nada The amount of people who are calling this movie anti-semetic BEFORE they've even seen it are stupid at best.
Well... there are valid concerns. The movie is based on the traditional "Passion Play" which has drummed up emotional anti-semitic furor throughout history. Also... it's not uncommon for the religious views of a father, to hold influence over the views of the son.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join