It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Stockpiling Fuel; Moot Point?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:
apc

posted on Mar, 7 2008 @ 06:57 PM
link   
I think the only viable use for petroleum fuel would be to run an automobile. Electricity is better from renewables such as wind, solar, or man power. As it would be a bad idea to roll around like big pimpin' when everyone else is busy looting, the only real use for a car would be to get away from the city.

So where are you going to go? Figure out how much fuel you need to get there, include how much your tank can hold, add 20%, and that's how much you need to keep on hand. Can't hurt to store some fuel at your destination in case you have to move again. Just expect to run out, so don't plan on any long term uses for it.

I use Stabil fuel stabilizer by the way. Works great. Gas will keep forever.

[edit on 7-3-2008 by apc]

posted on Mar, 7 2008 @ 07:09 PM
link   
My cave has 3 1 cylinder diesels that put out 1800 watts each. They will only run 1 at a time to charge the batteries. I have enough fuel for 3 years and rotate 500 gallons quarterly and use it in my vehicle for day to day use. 1800 watts running 24-7 will keep the perishables and create enough heat to keep the 1400 sq feet quite warm and provide for hot showers. Idle it uses about 100 watts an hour to keep the humidity down and the batteries topped off. I will be quite comfy if needed.

mikell

posted on Mar, 8 2008 @ 11:58 AM
link   
Wouldnt running genoriators in a cave pose some CO problems or something, but that is totally awesome that you have a cave

posted on Mar, 8 2008 @ 12:10 PM
link   
I think about my grandparents in they had one of the first electrical house in their area. This was from a water mill on a stream hooked to a generator and batteries for storage.

When we look at batteries today they are still important in the process, but they are also so much better. Solar power is leaping ahead every decade in efficiency that I think one day it will be the main power source for everyone.

In the end I think it is a mix so some extremely high tech with some very low tech to get to the best efficiency.

The biggest problem with all this is outside groups wanting to get what you got, so the need for some kind of commune is a must even if you do not want it or need it.

[edit on 8-3-2008 by Xtrozero]

posted on Mar, 8 2008 @ 01:07 PM
link   
How about stocking some propane tanks. I currently have about a half dozen small tanks (like you use for your bbq grill) along with another dozen or so smaller tanks that are used for coleman stoves lanterns etc. My thoughts are that although not a long term solution they will provide me enough fuel to get by for less than a year to cover basic cooking water purification, and maybe a little heat now and then.

Does anyone know if propane has a shelf life? I would assume a small tank or even a larger tank would have some small leakage over time even if the propane doesnt go bad.

posted on Mar, 9 2008 @ 01:39 PM
link   
I can see the practicality of storing enough gasoline to fill up the tank in your vehicle. For example, if there was a huge social collapse I'd want to be able to reach my family who are 180 miles away from where I live. A tank of gas could get me there. Of course, it might require firing a few shots along the way. Possible death.

But having the fuel leaves this as an option. I am assuming it would be impossible to buy gasoline at this point.

posted on Mar, 14 2008 @ 05:57 AM
link   
reply to post by Tenebrous

Well it's not a real cave but thats what I call it because it's undreground. The exhaust exiys like a septic system underground for several hundred feet. The fresh air intake is nearly the same so there's no visable exhaust or sound. 10 years of design and building and I'll retire to the house there in another 2 years.

mikell

posted on Mar, 14 2008 @ 07:41 AM
link   
I feel I should add that in the UK at least, storing more than 15 liters (4 gallons) of petroleum requires a licence for storage.

Metal containers should not exceed 10 liters and plastic containers no more than 5 liters

Also from a safety point you should not store flammable liquids such as petroleum near doorways or under stairs in case they catch fire - they will seriously mess up your escape routes!

posted on Mar, 17 2008 @ 12:45 AM
link   
I just thought of this and it kind of goes along, could a sotck pile of rechargable batteries, and some kind of solar charger be a potential for a mobile, long term energy source?

posted on Apr, 6 2008 @ 09:45 AM
link   
Ive been toying around with the idea of solar pwer for back up but I think it is only one solution. Take for instance a massive nuclear exchange or a massive comet impacting the earth. The dust that would cover the globe may make solar impractical and you would thus need an alternative to create energy. i think solar is good but as with everyhting you should also have a backup or two in place.

posted on May, 16 2008 @ 02:42 AM
link   
ok here go's, in a sit x scenario for fuel it would be good to create a digester for making methane (after all there will be enough rotting matter, and when the shtf just scoop it up and add that), you can use this to heat cook and run petrol engines. Secondly if you go for diesel, we have the opportunity of running it on vegtable oils and from an hho generator

top topics

<< 1   >>

join