It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Disaster strikes tomorrow - how much trouble are you in?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 5 2008 @ 04:57 PM
link   
Let's imagine some super disaster strikes tomorrow. Perhaps it's a wildly infectious bird flu spreading faster than anyone expected. Perhaps it's a volcano or flood that is destroying everything around you. Perhaps it's a terror attack or martial law.

Whatever the disaster, it happens tomorrow. You can't go to the store. You can't go to the gas station. You can't go to work. You currently have water and power, but you don't know for how much longer. You're one of the lucky ones - the disaster struck when your family was at home.

You learned from Katrina that FEMA probably won't show up any time soon to bail you out.

How much trouble are you in?

posted on Mar, 5 2008 @ 04:58 PM
link   
We can't go to work? Yippeeeeee!

ZOOMER

posted on Mar, 5 2008 @ 05:04 PM
link   
reply to post by ZOOMER

Heh. You're cheating. If you don't survive, you won't get to enjoy staying home from work!

posted on Mar, 5 2008 @ 05:06 PM
link   
Blaaassst!

ZOOMER

posted on Mar, 5 2008 @ 05:10 PM
link   
My first thought would be to start putting potable water into any and all water bottles that would be in the house. I would walk/bike to the grocery store and stock up and then hunker down at the house in hopes of just staying there until it's over. Our neighborhood is a pretty close knit neighborhood and I could see a lot of us banding together as a group to work through whatever it is that had happened.

I'd be scared sheeitless too.

Tela

just my .02

posted on Mar, 5 2008 @ 05:16 PM
link   
I'd be okay until the water in my cistern and reserve tank ran out. Thankfully my property borders a river, even if it isn't the cleanest water in the World. I have plenty of purification tabs though, and there's always boiling.

posted on Mar, 5 2008 @ 05:44 PM
link   
No matter how well you prepare you will always be *crewed one way or another.

My advice is this. It happens. Write down everything you need on a slip of paper and make enough copies for all your neighbors. Hand them out and ask for lists of things they need. Supply and demand. don't sell out cheap but trade extra to get what you need.

Do not trade lists of what you have......

posted on Mar, 5 2008 @ 09:13 PM
link   
I would definitely be out of luck. I have camping supplies though, and I know where to go if I really need to get away from everything. Problem is, it's far too cold to attempt living in the mountains right now. I know I could do it, but I would be gaunt by the time summer was on me... not sure what I would do after that.

What really frightens me is knowing that I am young and strong enough to survive in the wild but that my family is not...

posted on Mar, 5 2008 @ 11:15 PM
link   
I would be as close to all set as you can get. I would just hunker down or bug out with my Fiancee's family. Of course my father in law says I am not coming in the house in a sit X in less I bring my own BOB. they stocked enough supplies for me and there daughter but As he put it if you get separated you will need your BOB.

posted on Mar, 6 2008 @ 05:20 PM
link   
One thing I recently did was start to use a water service. They bring unlimited 5 gallon jugs to the house every month. Currently I am having them bring 6 at a time. Only problem is if something happens at the end of the month than time to fill up the bathtubs drain the jacuzzi and refill it with fresh water.

new topics

top topics

join