It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pope to host summit with Muslims

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 5 2008 @ 04:47 PM
link   

Pope to host summit with Muslims

news.bbc.co.uk

Pope Benedict XVI will host landmark Catholic-Muslim talks in November to improve ties between the two religions.
The announcement was made in a joint statement after a two-day meeting between senior Vatican and Muslim leaders in Rome.

Catholic-Muslim relations soured after a 2006 speech in Germany in which the Pope quoted a 14th Century Byzantine emperor's criticisms of Islam.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
news.sbs.com.au
www.adnkronos.com

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
Speech From Pope Outrages Muslim Leaders

posted on Mar, 5 2008 @ 04:47 PM
link   
This still seems to be an issue in the religious world. The meeting in general seems to be a good thing. Leaders and theologians will be getting together to talk about what they know about, so perhaps a greater understanding will come about.

news.bbc.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 5 2008 @ 05:02 PM
link   
reply to post by RedGolem

So a former nazi turned pope will meet with muslim leaders to talk about how we can all get along while at the same time, the U.S. is choosing a new pres. Timing is everything I suppose. The pope talking about peace with the muslim leaders is better than another round of the crusades. What are the chances talks get sour or something else bad happening? What an interesting month November will be.

posted on Mar, 5 2008 @ 05:02 PM
link   
I'm glad to see that the pope is at least taking the time to try and patch up the religious relationship. Perhaps they both can come to an understanding and the two religions will see eye to eye on some things? Anyway hope the conference will go well

posted on Mar, 5 2008 @ 05:19 PM
link   
My views on the RCC hierarchy are pretty well known, but I applaud this gesture of conciliation and hope that some good comes out of it, and that sense can prevail.

They have more in common than some might think - and not just in a religious sense, also in the sense of their members and how they influence them.

posted on Mar, 5 2008 @ 05:26 PM
link   
i believe the negative aspects assosciated with islam are due to local cultural,political and social issues.for example militarized combatants using islam as a pawn in thier game,or overly mysoginistic cultural beliefs being passed of as gospel resulting in abuses against women in places such as saudi.

also,many middle east countries are dictatorships,where the people are not allowed freedom or choice,and that repression has bread problems that have nothing to do with islam but it appears that way from the outside.

so we gotta cure the issues that are causing the problems in the countries that happen to be islamic,for one stopping this tit for tat ******* in israel-palestine,and then ensuring dictators are no longer allowed free reign by the worlds powers purely because they have valuable resources.do you want oil,or do you want the hearts of the people of the middle east?,people ARE the world,they are more valuable than anything else.
its not to late to bridge the gap,it would take alot of work,but it can be done,it just needs honesty and acknowledgement of past mistakes,ie unwarranted meddling in others affairs.

[edit on 5-3-2008 by welivefortheson]

posted on Mar, 5 2008 @ 06:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by jitombe

So a former nazi turned pope will meet with muslim leaders to talk about how we can all get along while at the same time, the U.S. is choosing a new pres.

Could you point me to the link that says the Pope is a former nazi?
Or if nothing else just where the information comes from.

posted on Mar, 5 2008 @ 06:46 PM
link   
reply to post by RedGolem

I thought it was well known he used to be a member of the Hitler Youth.

Anyhoo, here is a link:

Following his fourteenth birthday in 1941, Ratzinger was enrolled in the Hitler Youth — membership being legally required after December 1939[5] (though 10-20% did disobey the rule[6]) — but was an unenthusiastic member and refused to attend meetings.[7] His father was a bitter enemy of Nazism, believing it conflicted with the Catholic faith.[citation needed] In 1941, one of Ratzinger's cousins, a 14-year-old boy with Down syndrome, was killed by the Nazi regime in its campaign of eugenics.[citation needed] In 1943 while still in seminary, he was drafted at age 16 into the German anti-aircraft corps. Ratzinger then trained in the German infantry, but a subsequent illness precluded him from the usual rigours of military duty. As the Allied front drew closer to his post in 1945, he deserted back to his family's home in Traunstein after his unit had ceased to exist, just as American troops established their headquarters in the Ratzinger household. As a German soldier, he was put in a POW camp but was released a few months later at the end of the War in summer 1945. He reentered the seminary, along with his brother Georg, in November of that year.

Linky

posted on Mar, 6 2008 @ 01:00 AM
link   
reply to post by stumason

Ahh ok thanks.
I did remember something like that but wanted to know what he meant when it was said.

new topics

top topics

join