It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gas Prices Who Knew?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 5 2008 @ 12:34 PM
link   
There are three threads on the boards dealing with gas and oil and production of said.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

It seems that we could have seen this coming and taken evasive action. So my question is why have our political leaders done nothing to ween us off of oil and gas before it reached the present point?

A. Stupid

B. Greedy

C. Up to no good

or

D. Something else(and What)

posted on Mar, 5 2008 @ 01:25 PM
link   
D: Something Else

Oil is still plentiful and cheaper to use than anything else.
Believe me, if it was going to run out soon we would be using something else by now and if there was something significantly cheaper to produce we would be using that as well.

posted on Mar, 5 2008 @ 01:29 PM
link   
To PWPBR

Any idea what? Is it a conspiracy or not?

posted on Mar, 5 2008 @ 01:32 PM
link   
reply to post by polanksi

It is a conspiracy called "Business" If there was a cheaper fuel source to use than oil somebody somewhere would be selling it.

posted on Mar, 5 2008 @ 02:39 PM
link   
Adjusted for inflation, gas prices are still lower than they have been at times in the past. I believe it will need to hit $5.50/gal to match the prices in the late 70s.

posted on Mar, 5 2008 @ 03:03 PM
link   
Back in the 70's we had an 'oil crisis'. Prices spiked and there was shortages and gas lines. That was over 30yrs ago. We saw what the dependency on foreign oil could do to the country and the economy. So we had over 30yrs to make changes. What did we do with that time? Nothing. Like every other looming disaster the government is faced with, it is utterly incapable of doing jack. They talk a good game but that's the extent of it.

posted on Mar, 5 2008 @ 03:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by RWPBR
It is a conspiracy called "Business" If there was a cheaper fuel source to use than oil somebody somewhere would be selling it.

Yep. And if it really bugs people that oil and gas cost so much, there's one sure way to make it stop bugging them. They need to invest in oil company stock. Buy as much British Petroleum stock as they can afford. Then they'll not only make back some of the money then spend on gas, and they'll be rooting for gas prices to go as high as possible.

posted on Mar, 5 2008 @ 03:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nohup
Buy as much British Petroleum stock as they can afford. Then they'll not only make back some of the money then spend on gas, and they'll be rooting for gas prices to go as high as possible.

Kinda of a vicious circle, isn't it? "Damn gas prices! Woo Hoo! My stock went up!"

posted on Mar, 5 2008 @ 03:20 PM
link   
Um... maybe this could make a difference? "Israel promises electric car network by 2011". Here's the projectbetterplace homepage. seems a strategic commitment of pragmatism. Could just be plain old smart-thinking.

Sure wish I knew what Cheney was talkin' 'bout with his energy buds way-back before the days of 43 contemplating "sitting in Crawford with my feet up."

Infrastructure would seem doable and the geopolitical situation and geographics would lend itself to such a goal. Either that or they "know" something others may not...

Cheers,

Vic

[edit on 5-3-2008 by V Kaminski]

posted on Mar, 6 2008 @ 06:28 AM
link   
We had an electric car in the 90's 'they' trashed it. The design is there and was effective but no American car company seems interested in producing it.

The 70’s were really what I was referring to as the point when our government could have encouraged a movement towards complete or nearly complete energy independence. Why didn't it happen?

Was it a conspiracy of government and big business that stopped it?
Was it just the fact that short Presidential terms lead to a 'fumble'?
Why are we at the mercy of foreign oil?
If it was deliberate wasn't that short sighted or just a business decision?

top topics

join