It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Headstone, And The Beret

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 5 2008 @ 12:27 PM
link   
I was sitting on grass speaking to an inanimate object. A white stone, engraved with a beautiful name, and some inspiring words.

"Dad. It's beautiful out today."

It was. It was almost 60 degrees and sunny. I looked around. Perfect rows of headstones, what seemed like thousands of flags flapping in the breeze.

"Dad. You should see little lombozo. He's getting so big. He wants to be a police officer when he grows up. I'm teaching him to catch a football. He's getting there."

The silence was all around me.

"I bought him a fishtank. You should see him. He has 3 goldfish. You'd be proud Dad. He's taking good care of them."

I looked around. It really was a gorgeous day.

"You know what I'm going to do? I'm going to take him out crabbing. I know you'll be right there with us. At least I don't have to listen to you order me around this time! Yes, Sir. I think that is a great idea. I'm going to go now Dad."

I stood up, went to attention and saluted.

"Dad I brought you something."

I reached into my jacket and pulled out a very special silk bag. I partially opened it gently and looked in it. I also brought a silver dish. I rested the dish on the ground, and opened the silk bag fully. I pulled out my prized possession. One I worked hard, and bleed for. It was a Beret. Many might look at it as a funny looking hat. It is so much more than that. I put it on the silver plate, and saluted again.

"This is for you you stubborn bastard."

I then went to my knees and kissed that inanimate object before me.

"I miss you Dad."

I made the journey home, and went crabbing. I've never been more at peace.

posted on Mar, 5 2008 @ 12:41 PM
link   
That is a really beautiful story. What a great way to remember someone and to honor.

Thanks for that. That brightened up my day a bit. =)

posted on Mar, 6 2008 @ 02:21 PM
link   
My freind, that you loved and respected your father, if it wasn't obvious before, it is now. Give him a salute for me, a very worthy gentleman.

posted on Mar, 6 2008 @ 07:04 PM
link   
Wow.. that was so sweet but very sad imo.

It brought tears to my eyes Lombo.
You really miss him, dontcha'?

*hugs*

I haven't seen you in chat lately.. You should stop by more often. I miss ya!

posted on Mar, 6 2008 @ 10:35 PM
link   
Lombo,

I just stood and saluted you and your Father.

Semper Fi to you and your Dad.

Semper

posted on Mar, 7 2008 @ 05:44 AM
link   
My heart goes out to ya lombo. If you ever need a person to unload on, I'm you're dump truck...

TheBorg

top topics

join