It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Briggs-Meyers and Looking for Music

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 5 2008 @ 11:18 AM
link   
Okay... I've got a weird 2-part question:

First -- what's your Briggs-Meyers profile?
www.humanmetrics.com...

Second -- when you're really bored with the music you listen to and want to find something new (even a new genre), how do you go about finding something new to listen to? Scan radio stations? Ask friends? Browse sites? Something else?

(I'm checking some data... not sure I believe the results, so I thought I'd just "ask folks" to see if the data is just all "moonshine and ham")

posted on Mar, 5 2008 @ 11:36 AM
link   
first: INTP

second: i search blogs for new music weekly. i usually get a bunch of electronica one week, hip-hop the next, classic rock another week, and then the last week I'll look for vintage soundtracks and stuff. Blogs have been the best thing to happen to music lovers since Audiogalaxy.

another AWESOME tool to find new music you like is www.pandora.com

you basically enter the name of an artist you like, and it starts streaming similar artists for free, like a personalized radio station. highly recommended!

I used to go out and buy music from the store, and mostly from used record stores.. but I just got so sick of losing cds, scratching them, and eventually I sold most of my 10,000 vinyl albums, because they were a huge pain in the ass to move all the time, plus they took up lots of space.

posted on Mar, 5 2008 @ 12:44 PM
link   
ISTJ

I usually hear something new through a friend and add it to our collection.
We have a vast collection of music on LPs, tape, CDs, and well over 10,000 songs stored on our main hard drive in MP3 format.

I don't think there's a genre we don't have some of because our tastes are very eclectic.

Sometimes I'll hear something new on a TV show and search the credits to find out the song. And when I do find a song I like I tend to gather as much as I can from that artist.

EDIT: Wow Byrd, I just read the description of ISTJ, that's so accurate it's scary.

[edit on 5/3/2008 by anxietydisorder]

posted on Mar, 6 2008 @ 07:49 AM
link   
We just did Myers-Briggs at work. I'm an INFJ.

In the past couple of years I have gotten into new music through services like Yahoo's radio stations that will offer similar artists to ones that I indicate that I like. Before this, I largely relied on a friend who is always listening to interesting stuff.

posted on Mar, 24 2008 @ 01:41 PM
link   
Briggs-Meyer class : INTJ; Rational Mastermind.

Haha pretty happy with that score!

And i search for new music by asking friends mainly, or radio, or TV shows soundtracks.

posted on Mar, 24 2008 @ 02:33 PM
link   
Another Pandora fan here.

www.pandora.com...

This is my favorite tool to learn new covers for me and my trio.

posted on Mar, 24 2008 @ 06:34 PM
link   
ENTJ

Rally's, friends, internet, music press etc

posted on May, 5 2008 @ 09:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Byrd

ENTP. (Usually. I'm always NT, but the E/I and P/J can depend on the test.)

If I'm looking into a new genre, I usually start off asking friends who I know are into it, and once I find an artist I like, listening to more of their stuff. Sometimes I use Pandora, sometimes I ask other people from there "Hey, I really like so-and-so, who else would I probably like?"

If it's a genre I'm already familiar with, I usually have whole lists of bands and artists that are affiliated with (either socially or musically) bands and artists I know I like, and I start checking them out.

I pretty much just use the radio when I feel like listening to a particular genre but don't care about "discovering new artists." (I usually listen to talk radio or CDs I already own in the car. I very rarely listen to music on the radio.)

[edit on 5/5/2008 by asilvahalo]

posted on May, 5 2008 @ 10:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Byrd

First: you scare me...(and not in a good way)

Second: Your Type is
INFJ
Introverted Intuitive Feeling Judging
Strength of the preferences %
56 12 12 56

You are:
moderately expressed introvert

slightly expressed intuitive personality

slightly expressed feeling personality

moderately expressed judging personality.

Third:

I live near Detroit. You litterally trip over new music here. If I want something new and different I usually ask my brother in law hes like a music guru. He owns thousands upon thousands of albums and tons of cds. He really knows what the heck he is talking about as far as music is concerned.

posted on May, 5 2008 @ 10:57 PM
link   
INTP.

We are the best.

posted on May, 6 2008 @ 06:16 AM
link   
Hi, Byrd. I'm ENTJ according to the test you linked to (1/50/38/33). Sometimes INTP or INTJ. I think the test gives less reliable results the older and more self-aware the subject, but that's another story. I'm 50 years old and reckon INTJ is probably the most accurate assessment (for better or worse!)

I find new stuff by reading music magazines, mostly Uncut and Q. I take the latter every month. But I'm less interested in new music nowadays than in the back catalogue. I started out as a rock fan and remain one to this day, but for the past ten years I've spent as much time listening to the American styles that influenced rock as I do to rock itself.

I also like Classical and Romantic chamber music -- Haydn, Mozart, Beethoven, Schubert -- Beethoven symphonies and late nineteenth/early twentith-century works by people like Ravel, Debussy, Stravinsky etc.

Oh, I forgot: I'm a musician. Possibly it makes a difference to your study?

[edit on 6-5-2008 by Astyanax]

new topics

top topics

join