It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gas Prices up, Production Down: $5.19 for regular!

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 5 2008 @ 04:16 PM
link   
@DezertSkies

I agree but for society to continue in a froward direction transportation of goods and other assorted things are still needed. Hydrogen cells have more promise than the bio disel imho but the guy that i was talking about was using strait vegetable oil so i don't know if thats something different. Whether its renewable electric or something thats little or no emissions it needs to happen soon. I love to hike and bike and defiantly do so more in the summer and spring but solutions are still needed.

[edit on 5-3-2008 by Localjoe3]

posted on Mar, 5 2008 @ 04:49 PM
link   
But we haven't progressed forward as a society, we've gone backwards with the help of technology applied to social issues. We've created a machine hungry for more fuel than we can feed it, and which continues to grow and require more and more to satiate it's hunger, yet if we don't feed it, billions will fail to be sustained and thus die. How is this progress? It's regression into a state of enslavement by our own creation.

We were more advanced thousands of years ago, in consciousness, when real holy men and shamans, philosophers, thinkers, etc. used intuition, instinct, consciousness, respect and reverence for existence itself, and respected the balance of all seemingly opposing forces and realized that balance must be kept.

Where's the balance in our prison world where the soul is stifled since birth, where you're told reality is only physical, and any thought that doesn't conform is seen as mental illness. I consider myself very sane, aware, and cognizant of the reality as well as all that is not reality, but still exists, yet if i was examined by a "professional" i'd probably be locked in a padded cell chained up like an animal with symptoms of severe mental illness, simply because of what i say is the antithesis of all the disguised under the mask of normalcy and social acceptance.

That's what I'm trying to say, we're not progressing anywhere. Has any technology or any amount of oil products brought you spiritual development? Has dutifully complying and purchasing $5/gal gas made you a better person, or has it just made you a slave that your employer and the oil company exploit for sweat equity?

Without me in the system buying gas or slaving in a wicked industry, the wicked hold no power over me, i'm free of that chain of oppression. Without you in the system buying gas, without any of us, there will be no system and maybe we can see true social progression. We're not moving forward or rising up anywhere, we're just digging the hole that will become our grave, and we're doing it one gallon of overpriced exploitation at a time.

Measure your progress in the self worth of your soul. How far do you think your SUV will take you down that road, even with a limitless supply of fuel?

posted on Mar, 5 2008 @ 04:57 PM
link   
Sorry, but we are part of the problem by posting here. Somewhere, a server using electricity generated by fossil fuel is storing everything you type. It is everywhere and it is not the corporations to blame, it is the consumer.

Stop already. Is there a need for a 5 mpg SUV? No, but that is what people want. Excess. Big Business has moved to Dubai and Europe and South America to cirvumvent tax law in the US. They put us over the barrel...literally.

OPEC needs a kick in the ass and we need to divert more research to be energy independent, something the current administration is trying to do. We got screwed in the last few years and in time, if we do not self-implode from credit debt we will once again be moving forward not back but only by becoming less dependent on oil.

Sad part is, tell it to the over weight consumer with 2 a/c units in a 2000 sq ft house who drives a Prius to work and a Hummer on the weekends. It is in the hands of the citizens of this country now....

posted on Mar, 5 2008 @ 05:05 PM
link   
reply to post by worldwatcher

No it is not that high everywhere. That must be due to local taxes only. Last time someone posted a story like this I flew to LA all worried about it to find the prices the same as most other places. For regular the average is around $3.10 per gallon nationwide as I type this. Just like ATSers, journalists like to find the most extreme example to make a point. Or, just like me I should say

We seem to always have some of the cheapest gas on earth. Complaining is fun though
If you want a shock; drive across Canada where they pay lots more just like in Europe. We damn Americans love to boohoo though. Gas prices this low are only an issue to young people on low income or the elderly on a fixed income or the you know - work challenged among us.

posted on Mar, 5 2008 @ 05:05 PM
link   
reply to post by esdad71

I agree that we need a way to stay away from fossil fuel, but remember that is been predicted that th next bubble will be in the alternative energy sector, as a matter of fact already our friends in he Emirates are pouring lots of investments for the new wave of alternative energy surge that is going to hit the world as they keep pushing their oil.

They are going to make sure that they will cash out on this one.

Crooks nothing but crooks.

posted on Mar, 5 2008 @ 05:09 PM
link   
Gas can be found for 3.03 where I live, which is cheaper then it was yesterday at that gas station. I think they are just pushing us to see how high we go before we cut back use. Already we are trading in our truck we use for transporting stuff for a nice gas efficient car

posted on Mar, 5 2008 @ 05:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by esdad71
Sad part is, tell it to the over weight consumer with 2 a/c units in a 2000 sq ft house who drives a Prius to work and a Hummer on the weekends. It is in the hands of the citizens of this country now....

Yeah but what about the issue of families and others who need bigger cars, SUV's, etc. not just for family issues, but for work issues as well? We can't just write off legitimate need for larger vehicles.

And how much alternative energy development is really in the hands of the average citizen is questionable in my mind as well. The sheer amount of time and money investment needed to do that research is prohibitive to most people, but not necessarily as much for corporations in the energy industries. It's more a matter of their priorities, imo. Which better change, and soon.

posted on Mar, 5 2008 @ 05:21 PM
link   
I'm sure that the oil companies push for the most they can get away with. They would be incompetent boobs if they did not. I think it is more complex than that though.

China and India's rapidly increasing consumption has to play a part. The fact that lawsuits have stopped the construction of new refineries is another part. This crazy bending over by our leaders to environmental extremists is a very big part.

Everyone complains they want to be independent of the need for Middle-Eastern oil and then the same people refuse to let us develop our own resources. It is a crazy world, full of irrational people.

posted on Mar, 5 2008 @ 05:29 PM
link   
$5.19 per gallon is still $1.44 cheaper per gallon than what we pay in britain...although most of our price is tax...

posted on Mar, 5 2008 @ 06:32 PM
link   
I understand the need forlarge families and transport for large corporations that is why you see large business, buses , colleges, emergency personell, etc using alternative fuels.

The middle class suburbanite should be able to have solar power for nothing. Hook it up and put power back to the grid. Is this so hard???

Consumption drives need that is powered by selfless greed. Anyway that you look at it, there is nothing there for the little guy anymore and now more than ever, the middle class has evaporated.

In six months people will ALL start hitting the 10k limits on those VISA's that you got during the housing boom. When there is no one to give a loan it will be those that have liquid cash that control the market if there is any FRN to be recognized when the dust settles.

I, for one, would love to see credit scores go out the window and let everyone start over with what they are worth not what a computer makes them based on the future.

posted on Mar, 5 2008 @ 07:11 PM
link   
OK you guys is CA are getting screwed big time. I think it has a lot to do with transporting the gasoline to you.

The Market closed at 2.5291 yesterday, today at 2.6421 now add the state and federal tax. Total CA tax per gallon is 50.4 cents.

Okla. gas tax is 35.4 cents /gallon. My little town has unleaded for 3.159, drive ten miles and it's a dime cheaper.

Roper

posted on Mar, 5 2008 @ 07:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Roper
Okla. gas tax is 35.4 cents /gallon. My little town has unleaded for 3.159, drive ten miles and it's a dime cheaper.

Roper

Well it should be noted that the 5.19 mentioned, and 5.34 for premium likely stand as the nation's highest price. But one town's prices today are potentially the entire nation's tomorrow, or close to it. And of course there are going to be differences. But the point is, it's easy to become complacent and just let these people charge us all out the ying yang, while saying nothing. The frog in hot water pot on stove concept: turn up the heat a little at a time and before you know it your eating frog soup, including bones because he never jumped out.

posted on Mar, 5 2008 @ 07:43 PM
link   
Things in Cape Cod today stand at $3.20 average, give or take a few pennies.
I cant call anyone who does not tell me they cant come over because they dont have enough gas! These are middle income people, not transients.

This is really getting out of hand, and the oil companies report profits way beyond their wildest dreams. What's wrong with this picture?
What's wrong with this picture?
Bush, his cronies, and oil barons maybe? I think so.

I swear i cant wait to see that goon squad go already.

posted on Mar, 5 2008 @ 07:47 PM
link   
reply to post by dgtempe

lol, dg, I feel the same. I guess that means no platanos fritos para me, eh? Cause I can't afford to drive there either! rofl.

posted on Mar, 5 2008 @ 08:01 PM
link   
It won't make a bit of difference who the POTUS is, sorry to tell you. AND if the next POTUS puts in some sort of price regulation, once that is lifted you will need a telescope to see gas prices.

Roper

posted on Mar, 5 2008 @ 09:08 PM
link   
I see many compare the US gas prices to those of European countries and say how we have it so good. Well there is one big difference between the two. The distances 99.99% of us have to travel daily in our work make riding bikes impossible. And public transportation is limited to large cities. The US is huge compared to European countries. High prices like $5.00/gal will kill us. Heck just thinking of all the trucking of goods that takes place across this giant country. What will our food cost when gas prices get passed on to it. I for one cannot live without a car or use public transportation. we are just getting screwed.

BTW if prices went from were they are now to $5/gal I would be paying about $100.00 more a month bringing my total auto gas bill to $260 a month - almost the same as my car payment (a honda civic). I can't imagine what a SUV would cost.

[edit on 5-3-2008 by 2 cents]

posted on Mar, 5 2008 @ 09:39 PM
link   
Guys I hear problems of lack of supply, opec, china and india, storms, shutdowns, guys I have news for you. It is none of the above. Look at oil prices in comparison to our dollar. The farther the dollar slides the more oil is going up. Its our monetary policy plain and simple as that and anything else you hear out there is not true.

Until we fix our dollar it is only going to get worse and with big Ben cutting rates and pumping money into the system that we dont need things are going to get obscene.

Oh and to Blaine's comment gas is cheap in comparison to Europe Blaine we are the 2nd largest refiner in the world of oil. You would think that we as Americans would reap some benefits from that and yes taxes is a small part of the problem but like I said the big daddy is money. Oil has broken out its going up for a while now just like the article says theres no stopping it in the immediate future. Recommendation go buy a Toyota Yaris like I did. 35mpg and only 12 grand. Your friends will give you a chuckle but youll be laughing all the way to the bank. I pay $32 to fill it up and only have to do it every 2 weeks.

posted on Mar, 5 2008 @ 10:11 PM
link   
reply to post by mybigunit

I hate to deviate the thread, but just out of curiosity, isnt that avatar you have the guy who'se wife was on MOMENT OF TRUTH and wrecked their marriage?
Is it YOU?

posted on Mar, 5 2008 @ 10:25 PM
link   
We could all fax a picture of our naked butts to the white house. "There Mr Bush, kiss our @#$ses."

And we're supposed to get some kind of extra refund this year, just so we can get pounded back down by ridiculous gas prices.

I have allready heard of gas headed for $4 a gallon. It's allready planned. But they will say at such time, "Oh, the weather warmed up, and somebody had diarrhea, and that's the reason for the rise in gas prices."

Troy

posted on Mar, 5 2008 @ 11:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by mybigunit
Look at oil prices in comparison to our dollar. The farther the dollar slides the more oil is going up.

I've been thinking about this lately too. I think there is some truth to this. Gold is $1000 an ounce. $1.50 US to 1 Euro. I saw 60 min piece where our pennies and nickles cost twice as much to mint as the are actually worth. In other words the metal they are made of is worth more than the currency they represent!

If they keep cutting interest rates won't our dollar become worth less and less?
Is a dollar collapse really coming?

[edit on 5-3-2008 by 2 cents]

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join