It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Iraq Oil?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 19 2004 @ 01:13 PM
link   
If the U.S. - Iraq war was about oil and for the United States to secure the oil fields of Iraq. Then why are gas prices still so damn high and why haven't we seen anything change energy and price wise?

posted on Feb, 19 2004 @ 01:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by 10DeadInside10
If the U.S. - Iraq war was about oil and for the United States to secure the oil fields of Iraq. Then why are gas prices still so damn high and why haven't we seen anything change energy and price wise?

There's only one problem that I see with your post. You assume the savings would be passed on to you/us.

posted on Feb, 19 2004 @ 01:46 PM
link   
Then where would they go? Exported to other countries and U.S. get profits?

[Edited on 2-19-2004 by 10DeadInside10]

posted on Feb, 19 2004 @ 01:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by 10DeadInside10
Then where would they go? Exported to other countries and U.S. get profits?

[Edited on 2-19-2004 by 10DeadInside10]

That would be my guess with the profits going to the government.

posted on Feb, 19 2004 @ 02:42 PM
link   
Wait till you see the $2.00+/gallon later this summer !!

posted on Feb, 19 2004 @ 03:02 PM
link   
We've been over the real reason in several threads.

Oil currency, not oil. Read the long essay below. Makes a lot of sense.

www.ratical.org...

Oil prices themselves will not lower. In fact with the shrinking value of the dollar, they will only increase.

[Edited on 19-2-2004 by heelstone]

posted on Feb, 19 2004 @ 05:16 PM
link   
Ohh I get it now, so the U.S. took over the Oil of Iraq and established a puppet Government so that when O.P.E.C. wanted to vote for a currency change, Iraq would have a huge say-so and would of course be against the currency change. And damn Smirkley, gas sucks over here. It's just about $2.00 a gallon!

posted on Feb, 19 2004 @ 05:26 PM
link   
there is one other reason more important yet, the need for energy companies to invest in new technology to insure that they can remain energy companies even when the oil runs out.

posted on Feb, 19 2004 @ 08:47 PM
link   
There is a hell of a lot of oil there not being tapped into.

posted on Feb, 19 2004 @ 11:52 PM
link   
I have never wittnessed a good government, only good ideas gone bad. I agree this was and is a war for certain companies and families to gain wealth at tax payer expense. Deals have allready been brokered by Carlyle and the Russians and Chevron with a down payment of 19 billion in US tax dollars.More are in the works

posted on Feb, 20 2004 @ 01:17 AM
link   
www.lifeaftertheoilcrash.net...

i thought it was because of this; yet, we all have our own reasons behind inended actions...

posted on Feb, 26 2004 @ 12:23 PM
link   
Oil currency?
Wasn't the price of Oil lower before the war then it currently is?

Now, just found this article mentioning gas supplies to shrink...
"Gasoline supplies likely to shrink, prices rise'
usatoday.printthis.clickability.com... =9413366&fb=Y&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.usatoday.com%2Fmoney%2Fautos%2F2004-02-25-gasprices_x.htm&partnerID=1661

Certainly mystifies me that many claimed the US went to war over Iraqi OIL and now its the "oil currency".....HELL, we aren't even talking the price of bottled water yet, but OIL is the conspiracy of the day? The freakin' bottled water industry should be labeled the biggest SCAM, SHAM, HOAX, and conspiracy that is currently NOT being discussed today......

regards
seekerof

[Edited on 26-2-2004 by Seekerof]

posted on Feb, 26 2004 @ 12:43 PM
link   
Hmmmm, let's see. Let's examine this closely, shall we?
We have top level gov't officials who are big time players in the oil industry and have very powerful oil industry buddies, not to mention their long time family ties. Is it that tough to figure out where the money is going to go? They're not interested in saving you anything. No matter how much oil they get, and no matter how cheap, you won't see any wonderful decrease in gas prices. They've already figured out that you'll pay for it, no matter how high. These increases and decreases are designed to condition you...to get you used to paying exorbitant gas prices, gradually. It's working, isn't it? Now, if you see gas at anything below $1.50, you feel lucky, don't you?

Seeker,
I haven't had to buy a bottle of water for years, but I sure have to buy gas. Big difference there...

[Edited on 2-26-2004 by Satyr]

posted on Feb, 26 2004 @ 12:52 PM
link   
You don't technically have to buy gas, now do you Satyr? Be real. this applies with bottled water.
You don't have to buy gas. Get a bike, walk, commute on a bus......
BTW, I don't buy bottled water either...and I necessarily don't have to buy gas.
I buy gas because I choose to own a vehicle...I could simply buy something that doesn't require gas or move to be closer to work or grad. school, etc.

regards
seekerof

posted on Feb, 26 2004 @ 12:59 PM
link   
You're not being realistic. I live 35 miles from where I work. I can't walk there. I can't ride a bike. Public transportation is not feasible in my area, nor do the buses even come anywhere close to my house. I couldn't afford to live in the area where I work, and it took me a year just to find this damn job! So, I'm not going to quit and go find another one.
What were you saying again? I don't have to buy gas??? Sure, I suppose I could live in an alley, or under a pier somewhere, eat out of garbage cans, and wear the same clothes every day.
I'd have to basically drop out of society, or get a place right next to my place of employment. Even then, running those errands (grocery store, etc.) could be a real bitch.
My car is not a luxury. It's a necessity, as they are for most people. I'm also required to have a vehicle for my job. Many people are. It's just part of being independent.

[Edited on 2-26-2004 by Satyr]

posted on Feb, 26 2004 @ 02:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Seekerof
Oil currency?
Wasn't the price of Oil lower before the war then it currently is?

Certainly mystifies me that many claimed the US went to war over Iraqi OIL and now its the "oil currency"
I've known about the oil currency issue since before the invasion. Its very true that the U.S. replaced Iraq's petroeuros with petrodollars in the face of an ever-shrinking dollar value. Why would the U.S. do this when petroeuros would help Iraq rebuild faster since its a higher valued currency? The euro isn't a Iraqi dinar with Saddam's face on it. Its a frickin euro that should supposedly not need to be changed by the U.S. It was and therefore we have direct factual motive.

Anyway, the war was not about making oil cheaper if you had read that long discussion I linked to. It was an attempt to stave off deflation of the U.S. dollar and warn other OPEC countries in the face of an ever-growing economic crisis for the United States.

And yes, if you want to get down to the simplistic notion of just "oil", it was over that. If Iraq had no oil, the U.S. would have never invaded their country. Simple as that.

[Edited on 26-2-2004 by heelstone]

posted on Feb, 26 2004 @ 02:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Seekerof
You don't technically have to buy gas, now do you Satyr? Be real. this applies with bottled water.
You don't have to buy gas. Get a bike, walk, commute on a bus......
BTW, I don't buy bottled water either...and I necessarily don't have to buy gas.
I buy gas because I choose to own a vehicle...I could simply buy something that doesn't require gas or move to be closer to work or grad. school, etc.

Your right he does not have to buy gas he can find other modes of transportation. There are ways to getting around buying gas yourself but everything you do from buying a candy bar for a dollar ten to paying taxes have to do with the shortening supply of oil. Every product relies on oil from shipping to manufacturing, heck I just bought a new comp and the UPS shipping was 60 bucks!

posted on Feb, 26 2004 @ 03:16 PM
link   
Also, the US could have just bought the oil under saddam through the oil for food program. OR let Iraq sell more of its oil under that same program. Instead the US would regularly object to items that didn�t serve the Iraq people � while the UN saw no problems with Saddam purchasing, say, Mercedes, trucks and dual-use equipment. (and you thought is was the oil for �food� program, didn�t you) The US could have simply let more oil flow, via relaxed restrictions.

new topics

top topics

join