It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gary Gygax Fails Saving Throw Vs. Death

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 5 2008 @ 06:36 AM
link   

Gary Gygax Fails Saving Throw Vs. Death

www.nytimes.com

Before Dungeons & Dragons, a fantasy world was something to be merely read about in the works of authors like J. R. R. Tolkien and Robert Howard. But with Dungeons & Dragons, Mr. Gygax and his collaborator, Dave Arneson, created the first fantasy universe that could actually be inhabited. In that sense, Dungeons & Dragons formed a bridge between the noninteractive world of books and films and the exploding interactive video game industry.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
razorwire.warcry.com

posted on Mar, 5 2008 @ 06:36 AM
link   
Sadly, it appears that Gary Gygax failed his Saving Throw vs. Death, at the ripe old age of 69. I was going to go with a more conventional title, but I think the current one is more respectful of his work, actually.

Gary was a good man. I had an opportunity to meet him briefly, though other friends of mine knew him much better. He was a great dungeon master, and geeks like myself everywhere owe him a debt of gratitude for creating the RPG genre of gaming, both on and off the table, and brining the world of swords and sorcery to life like no one ever before.

www.nytimes.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 5 2008 @ 07:41 AM
link   
All the gamers, like my self hear and abroad will always remember the name Gary Gygax. He may not have won the Nobel Prize, but he did do an awful lot during his time here. I would like to see a picture of his head stone, monument.
R.I.P.

[edit on 5-3-2008 by RedGolem]

join