It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I'm evolving my faith - what about you?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 5 2008 @ 04:13 AM
link   
My faith has evolved to the point where I cannot believe in the Creation story as a literal fact...

A few years ago, I believed in the Creation story - the whole nine yards down to the talking serpent etc... However, I have come to rationalise that the story is actually allegorical and that there are metaphors and allegories throughout the Old and NewTestament as well as passages from the Quran which I am currently reading (which are VERY similar to the Bible).

My point is that we have to approach faith rationally and logically and weigh up the Science with our God-given minds and not through blind faith.

I know people will ignore me on this and continue fighting evolutionists but you can accommodate evolution and an original creation.

How long can you avoid using your logic? Any views?

posted on Mar, 5 2008 @ 11:49 AM
link   
reply to post by Heronumber0

well, i don't really have a view as much as i have a comment, mainly because i think you already know my view on the issue

nice job, it's good to see that people are starting to progress in their ideas instead of regressing to the medieval roots that we see in some areas...

posted on Mar, 5 2008 @ 02:48 PM
link   

Hebrew Scholar John Salihimer has studied the ancient genesis account in the original language. He says the creation account is not about the creation of the universe at all but the preparation of the garden for man.

For instance "In the Beginning" the first words in your bible comes from one Hebrew word that always means a period of time not a point in time.

So "in the beginning" could be 7 days or 10 billion years we do not know.

When you see the word "earth" - in our English bibles we think the planet earth right... well it meant dirt --not the planet earth necessarily

Are you starting to see it's not the Bible but our incorrect understanding that gets in our way.

The context of the whole pentatuch (1st 5 books) the story is ::: Man is good god gives him the land , then man is bad god kicks him out -- over &over & over continuing to this day in Israel!

So in that conext does it not make sense that what is being described is the preperation of the place for man?

It is not the mechanics of how God made the universe at all. That was all done "In the beginning" and he doesn't tell us how he did that.
'

posted on Mar, 5 2008 @ 03:12 PM
link   

i commend you for reading, and then wanting more.

posted on Mar, 6 2008 @ 05:35 PM
link   
reply to post by madnessinmysoul

Thanks for the comments MIMS. I am still a believer and always will be but I can see people following faith after our paradigm shift in interpretation of Scripture and not a dependence on the paradigm shift of evolutionists.

posted on Mar, 6 2008 @ 05:43 PM
link   

Hebrew Scholar John Salihimer has studied the ancient genesis account in the original language. He says the creation account is not about the creation of the universe at all but the preparation of the garden for man.

For instance "In the Beginning" the first words in your bible comes from one Hebrew word that always means a period of time not a point in time.

So "in the beginning" could be 7 days or 10 billion years we do not know.

This was exactly what I was looking for. A book that is meant for all time will naturally have semantic ambiguity and will necessarily have a multitude of interpretations. Of course the Beginning is a mystery but the unfolding of the Word is there to see in all of Nature.

When you see the word "earth" - in our English bibles we think the planet earth right... well it meant dirt --not the planet earth necessarily

Are you suggesting panspermia theory here? Are you suggesting that Life started from an asteroid carrying organic matter to 'seed' the primeval soup? If so, that would make sense to me as well.

Are you starting to see it's not the Bible but our incorrect understanding that gets in our way.

We agree on this. However, let's also remember that the ethical part of the Bible is at least as important as the Science which is a bit difficult to interpret to be frank.

posted on Mar, 6 2008 @ 05:49 PM
link   

Yes, I have a view.
Why bother even writing a book like genesis?
If we are so smart, why look at some ancient writings?
We can just sit around and figure everything out ourselves.
Sure, we can all be Aristotle and work out some scientific explaination for the whole universe.
Well, my explaination is that there were a group of Jewish survivors of the destuction of their homeland, sitting around in Babylon, who were wondering who, exactly, they were.
They may have been influinced by the Sumerian myths, when they wrote Genesis. Either way, it was the best story they knew, to explain the founding of Israel and their common ancester, Abraham.
I do not see any reason to abandon Genesis on any scientific grounds. In the contrary, science steadily substantiates the history, as told in this book.

posted on Mar, 9 2008 @ 07:29 AM
link   

be a believer, be whatever you want
just keep an open mind and don't be afraid to change what you believe in the face of the reality of the situation.

posted on Mar, 10 2008 @ 04:06 PM
link   
I am evolving in my faith too. I am giving up more and more in man's ability to tell me the truth. I am believing more in more that he is a liar like his father the devil. And I am losing faith in all mankind believes to be worthwhile. It is disheartening but it is so beautiful. I can see that God is all that is left and I am scared out of my shoes. Is this what it means to "work out your salvation with fear and trembling"? My friend, it is sad you lost faith in creationism. I admit there are some problems with it. But it is so close to what we see on the front pages of newspapers (or shall I say, who's-who-in-hell?) that it cannot possibly be false. Men are still passing the blame for their actions onto others, the devil is still in disguise, women are still tempting men to do awful things, brothers are still killing brothers, and mankind is still trying to build towers of babel. If you cannot see this, you cannot see anything. "Thy word, o Lord, is a lamp unto my feet and a light unto my path."

posted on Mar, 11 2008 @ 12:36 AM
link   
The Freewill of Man and the Training of Leveling-Up our Consciousness and Awareness will be the Key for that 8) :d

James 1:27

27Pure and undefiled religion [color=crimson](A)in the sight of our God and Father is this: to (B)visit (C)orphans and widows in their distress, and to keep oneself unstained by (D)the world.

Any supernatural force? Have you ever seen a ghost or had a paranormal experience?

Elementary My Dear the Basic of 1,2 & 3 1 Corinthians 14:33
33for God is not a God of (A)confusion but of peace, as in (B)all the churches of the (C)saints. DO-RE-MI

Psalm 51:10

10 Create in me a clean heart, O God,
And renew a steadfast spirit within me.

new topics

top topics

join