It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can humanity exist without money?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 4 2008 @ 07:42 PM
link   
I think that we are intelligent enough to manage the same amount of technological progress without money. Or are people overall too addicted to vanity to support what it would take to have a progressive world without monetary restrictions?
It doesnt seem likely without some sort of divine intervention coming along and telling us this is how we could avoid destruction, but just daydreaming for a moment, do we as humans without that divine intervention have what it takes to pull together like that?
I am curious what others have to say on this issue.

posted on Mar, 4 2008 @ 09:14 PM
link   
We should be ready to move on, you are right - we have the potential for this sort of thing. I really get disgusted in knowing what we could accomplish if so much was not wasted. We'd be colonizing the moon, maybe cured cancer, who knows if all the trillions people spend on pointless materialistic crap was put towards that. Wouldn't it be worth it? Wouldn't that give us pride as a people? Give us value?

Even though people have the potential, they don't realize it and it's retarted. There always needs to be some way to ensure that people pull their weight in society. Money is a great way of doing that. Before money there were way too many people coming up with excuses not to pull their weight, and society suffered. Though now rampant welfare does the same thing, defeating the purpose.

At this point there are times I feel like we'd just be lucky to survive. On the other hand I know we have the potential for truly great things and if not that, meager things and great happiness, happiness is always possible no matter what. It's very frustrating to look at the world today. I mean even now trying to argue against unnecessary wars and irresponsible spending, and basic robbery of future generations, basic idea/creativity enslavement, etc. fighting these things is a full time job. Forget what I dream, all the positive things we should be trying to accomplish and have no excuse not to be doing.

posted on Mar, 4 2008 @ 09:46 PM
link   
money is not a bad idea. it provides a common denominator to exchange goods and services.

for example, if you wanted milk, but nothing to offer a farmer in trade, you are out of luck - unless you steal the milk... which sort of defeats the purpose of eliminating money.

the problem is not with money, but with banks and bankers - more specifically, fractional reserve banks, the kinds that earn interest on money that doesn't exist.

posted on Mar, 4 2008 @ 11:34 PM
link   
reply to post by scientist

I agree,
I dont think money was a bad idea in the first place (and I agree with you on the banks fraudulent essence); it has helped humanity flourish and, it got us to where we are today to be able to think of such a possible utopia.
I just think money allows greed into the mix and inhibits a lot of scientific projects. Indeed it has furthered a many as well. It just seems a bit silly at this point in time with everyone being connected(internet and other communications) and knowing what everyone else's needs are, and also factoring in the capabilities of our technology, what is stopping our utopia?

with what we have today, "god" could come in and show us how to use our own inventions to create that sort of harmony. I only say "god" because it would take something of that magnitude to lift such grips of ignorance on certain developments to achieve such a reality. Maybe thats why they are so diligent on creating a superhuman intelligent AI, an oracle so to speak.

posted on Mar, 5 2008 @ 05:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by psychedeliack
I just think money allows greed into the mix and inhibits a lot of scientific projects.

yes, but again this isn't the fault of money, but rather the disproportionate distribution of money mixed with a materialistic perspective.

As long as there are people out there getting paid millions to throw around a ball, while others get paid less than $40k a year for manual labor... well, the system is going to be broken, regardless of banks and bankers.

When you attribute millions of dollars to someone playing a sport, you essentially reduce the value of your money, saying "our money isn't worth very much, we can just give it away to whoever for whatever."

posted on Mar, 5 2008 @ 10:59 AM
link   
reply to post by scientist

so true! no money doesn't cause it, but it surely is the field of play for it.
it is the only thing that separates men.
Money is exactly like an opiate addiction, you only THINK you need it, and if you dont have it, you get sick go crazy and think you cant eat or survive. Or you realize this and pick up the pieces of your life and LIVE fully without restrictions.
so, if we have made opiates illegal, why is money still floating around?
I just want to be a human on earth, but money has restricted my ability to roam the land freely without being shot at or arrested for walking on earth. anyone for that matter. Cant we all just get along? how hard is that?
or is reason not as common as the things we accept with our senses?

new topics

top topics

join