It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gizmo Puts Teens Out On Their Ears

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 4 2008 @ 04:06 PM
link   

GIZMO PUTS TEENS OUT ON THEIR EARS

www.nypost.com...

The ultrasonic "Mosquito," a device targeted specifically at frequencies heard by the young, has made it to the United States, reports the New York Post.

(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.blacklistednews.com
blog.wired.com

[edit on 3/4/2008 by palehorse23]
Mod Edit: All Caps removed from title

[edit on 3-4-2008 by worldwatcher]

posted on Mar, 4 2008 @ 04:06 PM
link   
Gotta love the name of this. Anti-teen. Should be interesting to see how many "teens" this device pisses off. I can't even believe they are using such a device to ward of people. There has got to be other means.
I guess it is just another way to control who you want around your storefront.
I guess it is just disheartening when we have to resort to these measures.
www.nypost.com...
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 4 2008 @ 04:13 PM
link   
This device has been causing uproar in the UK.

I think it's a good idea but people are complaining about saying it is a violation of the kids' human rights?

How is it? Personally I think that if a group of kids are causing problems in an area any non-confrontational method of dispersing them is a good thing.

Where I live there is a definite problem with youngsters causing problems outside stores - especially offies. This device is another way of stopping the youths intimidating customers when hassling them to buy them drink and smokes...

I don't think it's a problem. We have a real problem with youth antisocial behaviour in the UK and it's just a shame that some people can't see this.
I hope that it gets a better response in the US.

Have a read of this...definitely food for thought...

UK Mosquito Dispute

[edit on 4-3-2008 by more_serotonin_pls]

posted on Mar, 4 2008 @ 04:26 PM
link   
Ok so lets put you in the teenagers shoes who live right next to one of these things, or has to use a shop it's installed on, or has to walk past or near them.

You wouldn't like them so much then.

posted on Mar, 4 2008 @ 04:29 PM
link   
They're not on all the time...

They are used as and when necessary.

There were a lot of things I didn't like as a teenager but at the end of the day they stopped me getting into trouble, so I now see the benefit.

I don;t know where you're from but, with all due respect, if you spent some time in my area you'd soon see the benefit.

posted on Mar, 4 2008 @ 04:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by more_serotonin_pls
We have a real problem with youth antisocial behaviour in the UK and it's just a shame that some people can't see this.

I'm aware of it. I've never been to the UK but the youth there pushes so hard to have a reputation for being DGAF (dont give a _____ ) that even here in the states we are perfectly aware.

Being a punk is something UK kids try to excel at like it were a sport. Who can blame them? In urban communities (especially here in the US) being a nobody, being anti-social etc. is considered fitting in.

But instead of encouraging kids to create a new culture for themself, we like to pretend that they were meant to be brats, etc. That all teens are meant to be annoying and disruptive and generally worthless. We are fooled into accepting this stereotype so that when the government starts rolling out devices to scramble brainwaves etc. we will see it as 'keeping those rowdy kids in line'.

Why fix society when you can just project ultra-high-frequency soundwaves into people's skull? Yeah: that's the ticket. Please, NWO: give us more 'crowd-control' devices, it's for our own good.

BAH.

posted on Mar, 4 2008 @ 04:38 PM
link   
While it would be lovely to think that there is another way to 'fix' the problem with the kids I just don't see how we are going to turn this around, speaking as an education professional working with teens every day.

Most kids are great, but I think that this device is aimed at the hardcore who are entrenched in their anti-social behaviour.

I am most definitely NOT in favour of 'control' in an NWO sense, but I just don't feel that this is the case in this situation... All the OP's have made valid points here but I'm gonna stick to my guns here and disagree with the suggestion that it is a bad thing when used as it is supposed to be used.

Hey - it's nice on this side of the fence, but kinda lonely...LOL

posted on Mar, 4 2008 @ 04:41 PM
link   
Wow...this seems like its a repeat of the '60s or something, but what is this really going to solve when the teens actually find out where this thing is hidden? And if it's loud enough to where our ears hear it won't it actually...you know damage our ears down to a lower level?

posted on Mar, 4 2008 @ 04:46 PM
link   
Whats to stop the "kids" from just going into the store? And what about other "kids" in the area that aren't with the "ruffians"? I am damn glad I don't live in the UK. Not that the US is much better, but at least I don't have things attacking my eardrums! Well other than the constant lies.

posted on Mar, 4 2008 @ 04:50 PM
link   
reply to post by palehorse23

As others have pointed out, these have been in use in the UK for a couple of years now and there have been legal challenges to their use.

Apparently they can also drive dogs nuts.

posted on Mar, 4 2008 @ 04:53 PM
link   
Dear god it is in the US, I thought this was the one from the UK. Heaven help the store near me that uses one. I hear ultrasonic sounds, and I will be none to happy about one of these screechy pieces of crap. Maybe I will make a device that emits a terrible loud sound that everyone can hear. Oh wait, that is disturbing the peace. Gotta love double standards!

posted on Mar, 4 2008 @ 04:55 PM
link   
Why is it people constantly want to put band aids on problems instead of discovering the source and fixing it? Is it laziness? Ignorance? The chance to make a buck (from sales of devices)? All of the above? The problem of anti-social behaviour goes beyond the youth who causes it. Not that I'm saying the youths should go unpunished.

Bail out the basement while there's holes in the roof. Trouble is we're not bailing fast enough and the worlds social problems are flooding the attic.

Capitalism, and the contract theory on which it is built, will inevitably rip apart society. Capitalism is based upon a vision of humanity as isolated individuals with no connection other than that of money and contract. Such a vision cannot help but institutionalise anti-social acts. As Kropotkin argued "it is not love and not even sympathy upon which Society is based in mankind. It is the conscience -- be it only at the stage of an instinct -- of human solidarity. It is the unconscious recognition of the force that is borrowed by each man [and woman] from the practice of mutual aid; of the close dependency of every one's happiness upon the happiness of all; and of the sense of justice, or equity, which brings the individual to consider the rights of every other individual as equal to his [or her] own." [Mutual Aid, p. 16]

For anarchists, "crime" can best be described as anti-social acts, or behaviour which harms someone else or which invades their personal space. Anarchists argue that the root cause for crime is not some perversity of human nature or "original sin," but is due to the type of society by which people are moulded. For example, anarchists point out that by eliminating private property, crime could be reduced by about 90 percent, since about 90 percent of crime is currently motivated by evils stemming from private property such as poverty, homelessness, unemployment, and alienation. Moreover, by adopting anarchist methods of non-authoritarian child rearing and education, most of the remaining crimes could also be eliminated, because they are largely due to the anti-social, perverse, and cruel "secondary drives" that develop because of authoritarian, pleasure-negative child-rearing practices (See section J.6 -- "What methods of child rearing do anarchists advocate?")
Source

Anti-Social behaviour is a symptom of a diseased society. It should be telling us something is wrong, not selling us band aids. Society as a whole needs to stop, step back and take a good look at itself. Problem is society is not whole anymore, and it probably wouldn't trust what it saw. What happens when we run out of band aids?

posted on Mar, 4 2008 @ 07:01 PM
link   
reply to post by ANOK

I couldn't agree with you more. The problem stems from a much deeper source. My question is though, why don't parents step up and take responsibility for their kids actions? We seem to use the "band aids" to fix problems for everything instead of attacking the root of the problem. No recourse ever seems to fall on the parents of troubled youth. Maybe it stems from parents now both having to work just to ensure the survival of their families. for that, we all know who is to blame. As you stated, we, as a society, need to step back and really take a look at what our priorities are and where we stand on values. Maybe then, and only then, these misguided youth will make a turn around. Maybe also we would see less shootings and family murders if we all reexamined these life aspects.

top topics

join