It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Boeing offers to deliver jet fighters to Norway

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 4 2008 @ 02:40 PM
link   
www.norwaypost.no...

The US aircraft manufacturer Boeing plans to join the race to deliver new jet fighters to the Norwegian Air Force, and has already had meetings with the Norwegian authorities, according to NRK

i have heard a little birdy , the sales pitch is for F/A-18 E block II or III and the sales pitch is along the lines of cost and delays , apparantly there is alot of emphisis on cost - and figures of over $100 million each are quoted.

but read between the lines of the linked quote - norway are ready to pull out of jsf - and denmark will follow, and very soon.

my money is on Gryphon, now they`ve sold some to SA and tailand - the money is there for AESA and the JAS-39 NG version(s)

posted on Mar, 4 2008 @ 04:09 PM
link   
LMFAO @ Norway if they do end up buying the Super Hornet when they could have had Typhoons in service by now

I bet they wish they had bought them when they first had the chance now, maybe they still will. If not, the Gripen would be another excellent choice - plus they would actually get more of them.

[edit on 4-3-2008 by waynos]

posted on Mar, 4 2008 @ 04:53 PM
link   
If cost is a major issue, I agree with them looking at an upgraded Gripen, but a Eurofighter or Super Hornet? They can have the superior (in my opinion) F-35 which will likely be cheaper than the current fly away cost of a Typhoon but probably more expensive than current Super Hornets. Also, what delays and costs are they talking about? The F-35A has not been significantly delayed (in terms of expected IOC) nor are there any solid figures for per unit price for when it reaches production, given that's still in the future. Eh, but I guess Boeing can't really say otherwise.

posted on Mar, 4 2008 @ 05:23 PM
link   
AWST had an article a few weeks ago about Boeing getting very very agressive with going after JSF condidates and that they have gotten production cost way down on the F-18E/F to the point where they could be a serious threat to future JSF sales. With an AESA equipped F-18E countries may be willing to put off potinetial JSF purchases for quite a bit.

No reason why they could not get the Typhoon either unless there is a production slot issue (which I doubt since it seems many countries would allow cut ins to stretch out thier tranch 3 purchases). perhaps they really want the AESA?

posted on Mar, 5 2008 @ 01:43 AM
link   
reply to post by WestPoint23

cost is a problem for the `Tier 3` partners - hence why there buy was to be small anyway , and with the cost issues , and the boeing sales pitch - i do see them buying Gryphon -the phoon is too expensive really as is rafale.

edit: AESA is ready to go on the gryphon - ericsson has a working test kit - saab realy have been working on the `NG` model , in anticipation of an order , that and norway have an indistrial offset ; and unlike the deal with the US , this one is allready paying off only 6 months after signing. And its things like that which persuade a country to buy , denmark signed the same industrial deal and they start getting the benfits this year as well.

[edit on 5/3/08 by Harlequin]

new topics

top topics

join