It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Possible explosion heard in Haifa

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 19 2004 @ 11:14 AM
link   
An explosion has been reported in the Israeli port of Haifa.

Haifa is the third largest city in Israel, with a population of approximately 250,000, and perhaps its most progressive. It has always had a large Arab population and, today, Haifa is one of the few places in Israel where Jews and Arabs are in regular contact and make genuine efforts to promote coexistence.

Other minorities have also found Haifa a comfortable place to live. In fact, it is the world headquarters for the Baha'i faith, whose spectacular golden-domed shrine of the Bab is one of the city's landmarks. The shrine, along with the fabulous gardens at the center, make the center a popular tourist attraction.

Haifa is a blue-collar town -- it is the place where the Histadrut - Labor Federation - was founded in 1920 -- that also has a reputation for having a more pluralist approach to Judaism. It is the only city in Israel where the buses run on Shabbat and where many businesses stay open. This has enhanced the city's image as a good party town. Moreover, the city is a cultural mecca with its own symphony orchestra, theaters, museums and a zoo.

[Edited on 19-2-2004 by Nerdling]

posted on Feb, 19 2004 @ 11:22 AM
link   
I'm curious about something. What is the time difference between there & say N.Y. ?

posted on Feb, 19 2004 @ 11:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by Questor
I'm curious about something. What is the time difference between there & say N.Y. ?

Israel is 2 hours ahead of GMT.

That would make it 7 hours ahead of New York.

Whats the signifigance?

posted on Feb, 19 2004 @ 11:42 AM
link   
on the AP or UPI wire nor on any news agencies. Wondering about the details and why no press has seemed to pick it up

posted on Feb, 19 2004 @ 12:02 PM
link   
Can't find anything, looks like a skynews brainfart.

posted on Feb, 19 2004 @ 12:25 PM
link   
Please check my Global Security News for today. It appears that two Israeli jets violated Lebanese airspace in the past day and that the Lebanese government has vowed to retaliate "for each Israeli incursion" into their territory.

This could possibly be just that. AND, if the Lebanese go "eye for eye", we can expect a second since there were two jets.

posted on Feb, 19 2004 @ 02:08 PM
link   
I don't think it had anything to do with the incident you mentioned. I was just wondering because I inadvertently rv'd someone in that country a little while back. It was a middleaged man with dark hair with gray hairs in the side. He had a squarish head. I was viewing him from a side angle. He was sitting in the dark in front of his computer.

I didn't know if it was night time there at the time of the rv. But with the time conversion you gave me, it was definitely not at night. So I'm guessing the room has no windows & the door to it is closed preventing any possible outside light from coming in. He may also work nightshifts.

In hindsight I could have moved to another angle to see if he was viewing ATS on his screen.

Any hoot, sometimes I get these unintentional rvs.

new topics

top topics

join