It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Smokers are people too!

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 5 2008 @ 02:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Vector J

Originally posted by adigregorio
Do you hate that you force the same habit on others while you drive around in a vehicle? Or use power that may be coming from a smoky power source? What about when you mow your lawn?

Smokers are NOT the only ones making smoke!

Seems like this would apply to you as well. When you stop swinging your fists, then you can complain about me swinging mine.

posted on Mar, 5 2008 @ 02:10 PM
link   
reply to post by adigregorio

Different concept.

Smokers are a minority, people who drive or use elctricity from poluting stations, aren't. I don't get to choose where I get my electricity from. I don't get achoice about how I traverse large distances. I'm not saying that things couldn;t be better, sure, things could be better all over, but thats not what we're talking about here.

You have a choice about smoking...

posted on Mar, 5 2008 @ 02:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Vector J
You have a choice about smoking...

Really? Have you ever smoked?

posted on Mar, 5 2008 @ 02:20 PM
link   
reply to post by intrepid

Yup. Had a number of cigarettes and a few cigars, and thought they were disgusting.

You always have a choice. Sure they have addictive propeties, but it's not heroin, people give up all the time.

Are you saying that you ar forced to smoke?...

posted on Mar, 5 2008 @ 02:22 PM
link   

I don't get to choose where I get my electricity from.

well, yes you do. you could opt for solar panels. you could also move to an area/community that relies on green energy. you could also stop using energy completely, although that would be a bit extreme. The point is, nobody is FORCING you to consume energy from a certain source. You are making that decision for yourself based on cost, location and convenience.

I don't get achoice about how I traverse large distances.

again, that's misleading. you could take a bus (a form of carpooling), you could take a train, you could take a bike, etc. If you have a v8, you could rent a hybrid for the trip, etc. again you imply you are forced to drive a pollution-creating automobile, when it's simply not the case.

posted on Mar, 5 2008 @ 02:25 PM
link   
I am sorry to all of you that are "health conscience" I believe the health department and all of the lil truth sites should just shove it up their collective !@#$@. If I want to eat a greeseball burger soaked in trans-fat while stuffing my face with deep-fried potato's it should be my prerogative....Its not though...Instead I have these hippy vegan liberals and their hordes of TRUTH touting teens, telling me, no don't eat that....no don't smoke that....You are killing everyone with your smoke!!!!!! NOOOOOOOOOO your killing everyone by allowing fluoride to be added to the water supply!!!!!

You know I came back from Iraq, and all I wanted was to go back to my buddies bar, have a beer and a good cig....I get in there and that sweet aroma was gone...WTF!!!!! He told me that the "health dept" instated a ban while I was gone....So me being the good soldier that I am went ahead a lit one up!!!!! Surprisingly so did every other man worth his salt....

You might say, but Combatmed1 its for a healthier future...blah blah blah.....Yeah and so are genetically altered seeds/cattle. You people make me sick with your holier than thou rhetoric. I smoke, drink, and I'll be damned if anyone is gonna stop me.

Oh, Just one more lil tid-bit.....Please keep your freaky mutated broccoli away from my plate....If I wanted mutated food products I'd start a farm at Chernobyl!!!!!!!!!

posted on Mar, 5 2008 @ 02:26 PM
link   
People claim they want freedom. They don't. What they really want is control over others. There is no reason they can not have smokers only flights, smokers only trains and buses. No non-smoker would be hurt by that. It is about control.

It is all around us all the time. We are told how high our fence can be in our own yards. We are told what clothing is acceptable. We are told what language is acceptable. We are told what weight is acceptable. It never ends and it never will.

Freedom is a myth. The bullies of this world controlled us when we were little and they continue to control us until we die. The only answer is to play the system, take control and become them to get even.

1 in 5 or more smoke. The other 4 want to control us. They lie and say they care about our health but we all know that is baloney. It is the control they want. Look at me! I made them live their lives the way I want them to! Hitler had nothing on these control freaks.

They hate anyone who is different or does not conform to their views. Racism is no longer popular, so they replaced hating other races with hating smokers and fat people. There is no difference and they may as well put on a sheet and burn crosses. They are the same exact people in a different era.

posted on Mar, 5 2008 @ 02:28 PM
link   

reply to post by intrepid

Yup. Had a number of cigarettes and a few cigars, and thought they were disgusting.

You always have a choice. Sure they have addictive propeties, but it's not heroin, people give up all the time.

Are you saying that you ar forced to smoke?...

I quite once for 3 years. Then on vacation I bought a pack & smoked a couple of cigarettes a day until the pack was gone. I became a full time smoker again for ten more years! I tried to quit almost every Monday morning for the last three until I finally quit through hypnosis. I have never smoked again, and I never will because I know if I have a couple of them, with my addiction, I would go right back again.

Some have said it is WORSE than trying to quit heroin. I would have to agree.

2PacSade-

spelling

[edit on 5-3-2008 by 2PacSade]

posted on Mar, 5 2008 @ 03:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by xion329alpha
To all the people out there who agree with smoking becoming illegal listen to this, alcohol will be next.

I agree. Then after that, fast food will be regulated and it will never end.

They allow the masses to consume alcohol because it keeps them stupid, violent and causes a great deal of murders. Smoking is being filtered out because a few peoples disgust for second hand smoke.

Please keep in mind that it's not just a few people. People who don't smoke don't want to be forced to when they go out somewhere. I don't know how many times I have gone to a resturaunt and had someone smoke right next to me. It's simply inconsiderate. What would a group of smokers say if I spit into their group and used the excuse, if you don't want to be spit on, find another resturaunt that is spit free. There really is not difference.

Everything kills, even being born this is just the powers at be picking morals for us, do not smoke, drink, specifically targeting children to drink by bringing out lolly water alcohol. Why don't they ban obese people from eating they are killing themselves and their kids who grow up to do the same thing.

Don't worry, the fast food regulation has already begun.
I am most definitely NOT in favor of banning smoking however, inconsiderate smokers are giving the PTB an excuse to ban it because many act so inconsiderately. I don't know how many times I've driven down the road and seen a mother smoking in their car with 2 kids. Does that really seem like a good idea? Wood you give those same kids a beer? Or a loaded gun? The idiot smokers are what are allowing the government to ruin it for the rest of the smokers.

posted on Mar, 5 2008 @ 03:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by jfj123
The idiot smokers are what are allowing the government to ruin it for the rest of the smokers.

There's very few of those. Maybe those are the ones that are tired of being pushed around. As Blaine pointed out, it has little to do with health concerns, it's about control, or power if you will. Non-smokers should care less if we were smoking in an isolated but they won't. It's their way of attempting to control smokers, makes them feel like they have control. A speculation, maybe there would be less inconsiderate smokers if their were less militant objectors.

posted on Mar, 5 2008 @ 04:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid
Why such the antagonism towards smokers? Because the gov't not only allows it but promotes it. Some have to have something to bitch about and society has made smokers the target. See the post above mine, "just make it illegal". Why? There will be some that even if smokers all gathered together in the Sahara, miles from anyone, there will still be some that whine about smokers. Lack of power in ones own life? That wasn't directed at anyone. Just speculating.

Conspiracy against smokers? You bet. Look at all the different clubs out there, mens clubs, womens clubs, curling clubs, damn near any type of club. What do you think the outcry would be like if there was a "smokers club"? No worry of that happening anyways, smokings against the law in public buildings. Screwed before you start.

Very good points. I myself do not smoke and dislike smoking immensely. That being said, I don't think smoking should be banned, HOWEVER...

My rights as a non-smoker shouldn't be trampled on so the smoker can enjoy theirs. I think if people acted reasonably, there really wouldn't be an issue. Here's a great example:
A few days ago, my business partner and I (we're non-smoking contractors) sat down at a resturaunt to eat some lunch. A mother and 3 kids sat down a the tables next to us. We had received our food and the mother and kids had received their food and everyone was eating. A group of contractors came in and sat down next to us and the mother and kids and everyone of them proceeded to light up. There were plenty of other booths and table, and they didn't "NEED" to smoke. In any case, the kids started gagging and coughing after a few seconds and the poor mother just sat there obviously intimidated. I got up, and walked over to the contractors and explained to them that if they were planning on smoking, they should have taken the kids into consideration as they obviously don't smoke. They laughed and thought It was funny. Before I put the cigarettes out for them, the manager told them to put out their cigarettes, move further away or leave.

They put their cigarettes out AND moved to another table.

My point of this story is that this happens ALL THE TIME because SOME smokers refuse to act in a reasonable manner. As a result the government has started taking an all or nothing approach. In other words, since you can't act the right way, we'll take it away.

Also there are smoking clubs all over the US.

posted on Mar, 5 2008 @ 04:17 PM
link   

The idiot smokers are what are allowing the government to ruin it for the rest of the smokers.

There's very few of those.

Unfortunately in Michigan, where I live, there aren't just a few, I run into the "idiots" every day. There are some smokers who do RESPECT others but most I run into, don't.

Maybe those are the ones that are tired of being pushed around.

Maybe, but abusing others isn't the way to fight back.

As Blaine pointed out, it has little to do with health concerns, it's about control, or power if you will.

I think for some, this is VERY, VERY true. The same uptight people who must control everything, even what happens in the bedroom of 2 consenting adults. Those people need to stop picking on everyone INCLUDING smokers, and get a freakin hobby !

Non-smokers should care less if we were smoking in an isolated but they won't.

As long as you're not smoking in front of me, smoke away. It's your right, or it should be.

It's their way of attempting to control smokers, makes them feel like they have control. A speculation, maybe there would be less inconsiderate smokers if their were less militant objectors.

Very possible but the act of the inconsiderate smoker fuels the fires of the militants. They use the inconsiderate smoker as an EXCUSE to push their agenda's.

posted on Mar, 5 2008 @ 04:26 PM
link   

Since when is my smoking in a bar effecting you? It's a bar, or as I like to call them "sin taverns". We do things there like SMOKE, DRINK, HOOK UP WITH SKANKY MEN AND WOMEN, MEET OUR LOVERS BECAUSE WE ARE CHEATING ON OUR SPOUSES, etc, etc. You don't like it, don't go to them!

I understand not smoking in restaraunts, work, malls, airplanes, etc, but bars??????? Please, get a grip people.

posted on Mar, 5 2008 @ 04:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cowgirlstraitup7

Since when is my smoking in a bar effecting you? It's a bar, or as I like to call them "sin taverns". We do things there like SMOKE, DRINK, HOOK UP WITH SKANKY MEN AND WOMEN, MEET OUR LOVERS BECAUSE WE ARE CHEATING ON OUR SPOUSES, etc, etc. You don't like it, don't go to them!

I understand not smoking in restaraunts, work, malls, airplanes, etc, but bars??????? Please, get a grip people.

And if you don't like NOT smoking in a bar, you shouldn't go there either. It always goes both ways or it's not equal.

I think it is as simple as people do not necessarily want to be subjected to smoking.
Here's an analogy:
Lets say I have a bad habit, we'll say it's spitting in every direction whenever I feel like it regardless of whether or not I'm in a group of people or not. Let's say you get hit with my spit. Is that ok? Is it acceptable for me to tell you that if you don't want to get spit on, go somewhere else? If not, why not?

posted on Mar, 5 2008 @ 04:54 PM
link   

Here's an analogy:
Lets say I have a bad habit, we'll say it's spitting in every direction whenever I feel like it regardless of whether or not I'm in a group of people or not. Let's say you get hit with my spit. Is that ok? Is it acceptable for me to tell you that if you don't want to get spit on, go somewhere else? If not, why not?

That is frickin ridiculous. Smoke is a gas and easily dispersed by the atmosphere and air flow. Spit is a liquid and takes a helluva lot more to disperse. Which would probably followed by a solid, that being a fist into the person spitting on you. I didn't expect more from the anti-smoking crowd. Logic doesn't apply with those folks, thus I'm not disappointed.

posted on Mar, 5 2008 @ 04:59 PM
link   

Smoking is not like other bad habits in that smoke immediately affects all others around the smoker. Not all but many smokers do not care about how their habit affects anyone else around them.

Not to mention the lingering effects. I have had to work with individuals in close proximity and the lingering stench of the one cigarette they had is enough to make me want puke. And quite often, I have noticed that smokers try to compensate for the overwhelming burnt smell by wearing copious amounts of perfume or cologne. This in itself can be just as bed. If it works, you smell like a French whore (there is a time and place for that
) and at worst you smell like a burnt French whore.

posted on Mar, 5 2008 @ 05:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by xion329alpha
To all the people out there who agree with smoking becoming illegal listen to this, alcohol will be next. They allow the masses to consume alcohol because it keeps them stupid, violent and causes a great deal of murders.

While I agree that if smoking is outlawed, there is a likelihood alcohol will one day be considered for prohibition, the effects of moderate use of the two are different. I have seen people have asthma attacks from catching a healthy whiff of smoke. Contrary, I have never seen anyone have a physical attack if a guy at the next table has one beer.

posted on Mar, 5 2008 @ 05:14 PM
link   

Here's an analogy:

That is frickin ridiculous. Smoke is a gas and easily dispersed by the atmosphere and air flow. Spit is a liquid and takes a helluva lot more to disperse. Which would probably followed by a solid, that being a fist into the person spitting on you. I didn't expect more from the anti-smoking crowd. Logic doesn't apply with those folks, thus I'm not disappointed.

I'm sorry but it's not ridiculous. The state of matter is irrelevant. People don't want to inhale someone else's smoke and people also don't want to be spit on. I'm using the extreme analogy to make my point more apparent.

I don't like cigarette smoke for no other reason then it burns my eyes, hurts my lungs and makes my clothes smell disgusting. Why do smokers think it's ok to expose people to this?

posted on Mar, 5 2008 @ 05:22 PM
link   
reply to post by jfj123

Really? You're not too familiar with the law are you:

Battery

A battery is the willful or intentional touching of a person against that person’s will by another person, or by an object or substance put in motion by that other person. Please note that an offensive touching can constitute a battery even if it does not cause injury, and could not reasonably be expected to cause injury. A defendant who emphatically pokes the plaintiff in the chest with his index finger to emphasize a point may be culpable for battery (although the damages award that results may well be nominal). A defendant who spits on a plaintiff, even though there is little chance that the spitting will cause any injury other than to the plaintiff's dignity, has committed a battery.

www.expertlaw.com...

posted on Mar, 5 2008 @ 05:31 PM
link   
Smokers arn't people...they are social lepers!!lol that is how smokers are being demonised...and its just another " smoke screen" so that just one part of society has something else to think about !! in the UK its gone from smokers to people that have a tipple and fat people...just another way of diverting attention from the much bigger issues,,,but its personal so it diverts our attention!

The UK is becoming a right crap hole !! I think!!

In fact the whole world seems very silly I think !!

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join