It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Smokers are people too!

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 4 2008 @ 10:18 PM
link   
Where do these little old laidies that go to church and the grocery store,live a smoke free life style get their lung cancer?

It's been shown lung cancers can come from many sources,but all are lumped togeather to show a national lung cancer death rate(smoking&second hand smoke).All of a sudden every other cause is thrown out the window.A good lot of people smoke into their old age,where's that data thrown into the mix.

Roll your own,they don't mess with the bulk cuts.

posted on Mar, 4 2008 @ 11:22 PM
link   
Cmon people, as Americans we shouldn't even be gesturing towards persecuting smokers... we shouldn't be persecuting anybody for any intake of any substance. You can outlaw things like crack/meth all you want, and sit back and watch it explode in the community.

Laws do nothing... persecuting does nothing... tobacco smokers are just as capable of deciding for themself where and how to smoke. If other people insist that nobody smoke anywhere near them (in a public place), smokers are obliged to go somewhere else... regardless, we still have people who complain that smoking should be regulated with more strict laws etc.

Over-regulation of our fellow countrymen, that's all I see.

posted on Mar, 4 2008 @ 11:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by ucanneverdie

Originally posted by darcon
reply to post by adigregorio

you got him there man. Smoking is not the only thing that is killing us.

[edit on 4-3-2008 by darcon]

no its not but it is the one that you decided to put in your lungs and the lungs of the people around you

First of all, do not accuse ME of something i do not do. And secondly, you choose to put the key in your SUV so don't give me that bull. I do not smoke nor do i drive, so i can not be accused of those things.

posted on Mar, 4 2008 @ 11:45 PM
link   
I have nothing against smokers.
I used to be one and I quit.

I think its so wrong that smoking is banned in
restaurants and bars.

I think it should be up to the owners if they want to make
their establishment smoking or non-smoking.

Nonsmokers would have the freedom to go wherever they choose.

Its just one of the ways government is over stepping their
boundary in controlling peoples lives.

posted on Mar, 5 2008 @ 12:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by adigregorio

Welcome to day-care, my name is the Federal Governess and I will be deciding what your morals are to be.

bah!

I love that... I am so sick of "them" telling me what is good for me... "wear your seat belt" they say... Who the @#$% are you to tell me to wear a seat belt, who are you to tell me not to smoke, who the @#$% do you think you are?

We are adults, we pay our taxes (most of us), why do we stand for this @#$%?

Anybody who doesn't realize that this is just another ploy to get more money out of our pockets is a @#$%ing retard!

They don't care if we are healthy and safe, they don't care about you crying babies that don't want to breathe smoke... They simply saw this as another way for them to rape us and stick it in just a little bit deeper!

posted on Mar, 5 2008 @ 12:08 AM
link   
reply to post by darcon

Are you joking, no seriously, are you @#$%ing kidding me?

You honestly believe they should just play mom and dad and tell us that because they don't think it is good for us... we can't do it anymore?

Where do you draw the line? Should we make drinking illegal? How about buttered popcorn? Fastfood? Let's just all get in a line, bend over, grab our toes and beg them to shove sharp pointy objects up our rear ends!

Why even vote anymore? We can't handle the awesome power it holds, lets just them pick our leaders, our judges, and our politicians... Just give up completely cause we don't like smelling smoke when we eat dinner!

posted on Mar, 5 2008 @ 12:13 AM
link   
reply to post by microsoft123

I am so glad you said that... Not only did they take away the rights from those of us who choose to do a once publicly accepted habbit, they take the rights away from tax paying bar/restraunt owners...

If my grandfather has owned a bar for 50+ years and payed his taxes, he's paid his mortgage and ownes his property, and these over powered pencil pushing suits can ban him from being aloud to let his paying customers of 50+ years smoke cigarettes in his bar??? Screw that... Stand up people... Smokers or not, these are rights being taken away from our friends, our loved ones, our fellow americans!

If they were taking away your right to drive because cars cause accidents, I think you would be singing a differnt song, wouldn't you?

Statistically speaking, more people die in car accidents than second hand smoke, you want that right taken away?

posted on Mar, 5 2008 @ 12:17 AM
link   
reply to post by NewWorldOver

Well said...

We have been more than abiding when it comes to these statutes, we have been more than considerate of our fellow brethren... We stand outside in the cold, in the wind, in the rain so you all don't have to breath in these toxins, all I am asking is a little respect back in our direction... If you want us outside, make us a happy place to be while we are out there... Protect us form the elements, give us a place to sit down and relax, allow us to indulge away from you but in harmony with eachother!

posted on Mar, 5 2008 @ 12:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by mule skinner
It's been shown lung cancers can come from many sources,but all are lumped togeather to show a national lung cancer death rate(smoking&second hand smoke).All of a sudden every other cause is thrown out the window.A good lot of people smoke into their old age,where's that data thrown into the mix.

This is the same thing they do to make drinking and driving look like it is the biggest sin since cain slew able... The fact is, just because you are .01% over the legal limit and you get in an accident it is not automatically the liquirs fault... The other drive might have blown a stop sign, the other driver might have been putting on her makeup or changing their radio station... but the SECOND you mention that somebody was drinking, it's oh... those damn drunk drivers.... They don't even try to research the accident or find fault after that... This way the statistics go up, the taboo is solidified, and the fines go up and up and up...

I am not saying we should all go get @$#% faced and drive around 20 miles an hour over the speed limit, but you have to admit... they make it a bigger deal than it is....

DO NOT come throw statistics at me because of this reply, the statistics are scewed exactly the way I just described, plus as the saying goes... 97.2354% of all statistics are made up on the spot... lol

posted on Mar, 5 2008 @ 12:26 AM
link   
I would counter that argument and say that smokers have more 'rights' in some cases. For instance. At my last job, smokers could go out to a smoke pavilion some 25 meters away from the building. Now most would go out there and sit for approximately 5 minutes about 5 times a day. Some would go for longer periods of time and/or more frequently. Basically, they got about 30 minutes of free time. We had a lounge with a pool table and video games (intended for post work fraternization and special events) and as a non-smoker I would like to go there for 30 minutes of free time throughout the day. However, the management saw this playing games during work hours was wasting work time and eventually prohibited it. Where is the fairness there? Work was promoting a drug habit more than healthy de-stressing.

[edit on 5-3-2008 by Wolf321]

posted on Mar, 5 2008 @ 12:29 AM
link   
MR WUPY "Actually, as a smoker you have no rights."

Actually they have as much right as the next man"
And whnen you 'They' who exactly do you mean ??

Smoking has been around for thousands of years and IS a personal choice.
Will they ban alcohol aswell - As it is ruining our teenage generation on this side of the pond.

POLICE STATE ...

MY BODY MY CHOICE.
Maybe we should terminate all obesce and old people at 50 before they become a liability on our health care system !!
Right ?

posted on Mar, 5 2008 @ 12:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by twestjr79
reply to post by sparda4355

So Because you choose a habit that kills both people who smoke and don't. Corporate Amerikkka should cater to you. Thats Nuts . If you worked for me and brought that up you'ld be down the road. Smokers already have "smoke breaks" for your addication.Think about that. With that thinking Alocholics should have "Beer breaks" . I dont smoke and one day a co worker and me figured out we work at least 45mins more a day then smokers.

No... I am not asking corporate america to cater to me... things were just fine until smoking became taboo and you make us hike 20 miles to go smoke a cigarette... All I am asking is that if you are going to kick us outside, put us out in the cold, out in the rain, out in the snow... you be so kind as to give us shelter, give us a place to sit down, and give us a place to dispose of our cigarettes... It is not that much to ask, and it is only fair considering at one time we were smoking inside, in the warm, and in a chair until all of a sudden it became this public no no... First you chased us to the corner of the building, now you chaise us outside, some even chaise us off the property... It is unconstitutional to treat us fellow Americans this way!

As far as the retarded beer analogy... No... that is not the same thing... drinking effects your ability to perform your job, costing the company money and possibly fines depending on what your job is... Smoking relaxes the mind, brings up our spirits and makes us "smokers" more effective at what we do... It is to their benefit to allow us to smoke so we don't freak out, snap, and shove the stapler up their "rear ends"...

And as for you being my boss... Let me start by saying... You my dear friend couldn't afford to keep me, wouldn't be able to convince me to take the job, and wouldn't have the skills to keep me happy enough to offer my services in the first place... I don't get interviewed when I go for jobs, I interview the company and determine if I am willing to take the job that they are with out a doubt going to offer me... That being said, if you were lucky enough to have hired me, and you even attempted to feed me that mighty than though attitude when I asked for my smoking sanctuary, I would gladly put my cigarette out on your eyeball and walk out of your company for good!

posted on Mar, 5 2008 @ 12:37 AM
link   
To those who think that smokers are on break all the time: time them. I go out once an hour. I'm gone from my desk less than 5 minutes. That comes out to slightly more than 15 minutes every 4 hours, the same amount of break time a non-smoker takes.

I hate being looked at as if I had the plague when I'm smoking outside. These people want me to put out my smoke because, they believe, it's killing them, while they don't give a second thought to the exhaust of the 100 plus cars that go by every minute...

Personally, I believe the whole non-smoking thing is set up by pharmaceuticals. Funny how these people came up with stop-smoking aids just when countries decided to start banning smoking in public places.

Also, notice that they themselves keep reminding smokers that you have to try several times before being able to finally quit. How many patches and sticks of gum are they selling in the meantime?

It's not a conspiracy, just good lobbying.

posted on Mar, 5 2008 @ 12:37 AM
link   
reply to post by Wolf321

That is not a question of rights... Honestly that is just a question of poor management... Smokers should not get "more" breaks... We should however be aloud to actually feel relaxed while we take our break, not huddled behind a tree hiding from the wind freezing our butts off... If we must go outside, give us a place to smoke where we are hidden from the elements and we can sit down and relax...

It is now illegal to smoke inside (most areas)... that is a right we once had that has now been taken away... The government didn't take away your pool table, your boss did... Big difference!

Although I do agree you should get the same amount of break time! I will gladly call your old boss him and inform him he is a terrible manager and that he/she sucks at life!

posted on Mar, 5 2008 @ 12:41 AM
link   
reply to post by ajmusicmedia

Oh see.. you are so right, only they didn't just come up with these things and they are not designed to work... Like you said, keep trying and trying... Eventually you will just quit on your own and you will give credit to the 7 step non smoking program you paid 10 times more for than 5 years of smoking...

What is next, us smokers will have to have seperate bathrooms, sit in the back of the bus, and attend our own private schools? When do we have to start drinking out of our own water fountains so we don't infect the rest of society? This is discrimination at its finest!

posted on Mar, 5 2008 @ 12:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by mrwupy
Actually, as a smoker you have no rights.

You show me the dotted line I signed that voided me protection of the constitution when I "signed" up to become a smoker...

You show me the verbage in the constitution that supports your theory...

By smoking, I am not harming anybody who doesn't want to be harmed... I don't blow smoke in peoples faces, I don't sit in the non smoking section, and I sure as heck don't force you smokers to come into a crowded bar and breathe in second hand smoke! YOU don't like smoke, don't stand next to me when I am smoking, problem solved!

If I don't like the smell of your stench than I won't breath in when you walk by, if I don't like the way you look I will look away when your near, if I don't like the way you talk then I won't listen... but I sure as heck won't tell you to change the way you smell, change the way you look, and change the way you choose to talk!

posted on Mar, 5 2008 @ 01:20 AM
link   
Iv'e seen many nonsmokers at bon fires or cook outs sit in their chairs curling up their noses while we smoking fools sidestep the smoke and enjoy the fresh air,conversation and beer.

Got to be smarter than the smoke.

posted on Mar, 5 2008 @ 01:41 AM
link   
reply to post by sparda4355

Ok i only read the origional post and ill try to keep this simple because i dont want to start a battle between smoking vs anti smoking.

I live in an area where we have had a total smoking ban for close to 6 years now. 30 ft from entrances, no indoor smoking anywhere even with partitions and no smoking in work areas and company vehicles. Now the city where i live has 3 times as many smokers per capita than the national average and we have an extremley popular coffee shop culture here. I would say that it took a good 6 months after the bans took effect for people to finally settle with it. It isnt a big deal really.

More and more people smoke outside now due to the effects of second hand smoke. Where i live it is almost socially unacceptable to smoke indoors in peoples homes especially if there are children present. Most people i know smoke less on average now and i find alot of people quitting these days which is also due to 25 portion packs exceeding the 10 dollar mark.

I have been successfully quit for 7 months now and am just beginning to feel the health benefits of it. Now while it is not my place to tell you whether you should quit or not consider this. The healthcare system makes billions of dollars a year off of smoking related illnesses. People who smoke get sick twice as often than people who dont thus increasing emergency room waits. Second hand smoke is the cause of the rapidly increasing cases of athsma in small children and possibly even contributing to many teens ending up with diabetis (along with the mick dees of course).

Now when compared to obesity, handicaps and infant feeding practices, smoking is an optional practice that is of a self induced nature. Even though things like obesity are often self inflicted, smoking is 100% about choice and therefore really doesnt deserve any special treatment. If you don't like standing outside in below freezing tempuratures, then don't its simple, nobody is forcing you to go outside and smoke. You either wait for later to have one or you freeze or you dont smoke at all. Remember the woman with the baby has no choice but to feed it and the man in the wheelchair simply just can't get out and start walking. You, however, can stop smoking.

Saying that smokers need special rights is like saying that alcoholics needs special rights. "Its ok that he beats his children, he is drunk and has a disease". Or how about we tell crack addicts that its ok to smoke crack as long as they do it 30 ft away from a building entrance. Remember the idea is that we turn potential smokers off of smoking before they have a chance to quit. I think we have had enough seeing children as young as ten puffing on cigarettes and raiding public ashtrays for a few good butts because they are addicted.

Lets not make smoking glamorous for the younger generation. It seems that less young people are smoking now and its because we are changing our attitude toward it. I wish we could only make this sort of progress with hard drugs, alcoholism and fast food gluttony as all these things probably account for probably half of the diseases and conditions that plague our hospitals and allow insurance companies and drug companies to pick our pockets clean.

How many of you would like to bet that large cigarette companies have investments in drugs companies and probably even own health care plans?

Smoking is not a right, it is a habit and a perfect example of how companies prey on our weaknesses to turn a profit. You want rights? Ask your favorite brand to pay for your funeral and health care costs, not your families or friends.

posted on Mar, 5 2008 @ 01:44 AM
link   
Cigarettes CAN cause cancer and other respitory diseases. They CAN cause other health problems. However, not everyone who smokes dies from cigarette related causes. Let's use a little common sense here.

I find it absolutely amazing that in the REFINERY town I live in, the city decided that smoking would be banned from all restaurants. There is enough crap in our air to kill us several times over. Who cares if someone wants to add a little cigarette smoke to the mix.

It's not about heath, it's about control!

posted on Mar, 5 2008 @ 01:57 AM
link   
Now why in the world should you people be provided with the convenience of killing yourselves? True, it is your body, your health, your choice, but when the smoke gets the best of you and you come down with lung cancer, stroke, heart disease, COPD, colon cancer, to name only a few, you become a major BURDEN to yourselves, your family, health care personnel and the society.

Don't give me that crap about somebody you know who smokes until seventy and is still alive and well.

Smoking causes diseases. It is the undeniable FACT that has been proven time and again by an innumerable amount of medical research.

Quit while you can.

[edit on 5/3/2008 by mandrake]

[edit on 5/3/2008 by mandrake]

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join