It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Smokers are people too!

page: 18
<< 15  16  17    19 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 9 2008 @ 03:25 AM
link   
ugh....i was gonna go and type up this huge post, but i've gotten bored with this discussion....sorry, but it's just not relevant to my interests anymore.

i'm out.

posted on Mar, 9 2008 @ 01:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by sparda4355
reply to post by jfj123

Wow... dude... Honestly I think you are the LAST person I would have expected to actually agree with me on this! I guess it was actually a valid way of thinking! Thanks man!

You have been like the longest lasting "non-smoker" on the thread! Awesome! Thanks for the backing! I think I will have to call you up as a witness when I am on the supreme court... I will be like... come on, if this guy agrees with me.................. YOU KNOW ITS A VALID POINT!!!

You're welcome. I've always said you should have a right to smoke.

posted on Mar, 9 2008 @ 01:14 PM
link   

reply to post by Knights

Oh... I see your point there! I do agree that "if" we are forced to carry our weight and the weight of all the other smokers through our INSANE cigarette taxes than obese people should as well!

There really should be a fast food tax if there's a cigarette tax.

I am with you there... I just think it is unfair to charge them for two seats on a plane or two seats at a theater because the plane and theater didn't create seats big enough for them!

Keep in mind that there are 2 reason for this:
1. Seats are designed to accommodate the majority of the public. It's impossible to accommodate absolutely everyone. In the future, if weight trends do continue on the upslide, you will start seeing larger seats.
2. Space is a premium. If you have a packed theatre and 10 percent of the people are taking 2 seats for 1 person, they lose all that extra money. Also the more seats you can fit in a predefined space, the more money they make. Finally, regarding airplane flying-Each person on the plane is paying for their weight per seat. If one person gets 2 seats and only pays for one, then someone has to pay for the fuel for that lost ticket. Who pays for the extra fuels expended? Well there are 3 options:
1. The airline loses the money.
2. The person pays for the extra seat.
3. We all pay extra for their extra seat.

Which of the 3 scenerios is most likely? I'm guessing 2 and/or 3.

The only problem with your fat food tax is that ALL of the foods that I eat are high in fat, so now just because I eat food that tastes good (and stay well under 400 pounds) I have to pay that tax too

I would suggest a tax only on fast food services and not on all high fat food.

posted on Mar, 9 2008 @ 02:02 PM
link   
reply to post by jfj123

Well I don't want to turn this into a fat people thread...

But don't forget, these theaters/airplanes are privatly owned companies... If I own a company I want to keep my customers happy... If I want to make my seats smaller so that I can fit more people into my theater, that is my choice and if I want to charge you double cause you take up two seats... I should be able to! So I do agree... It shouldn't be uncle sam's problem!

However as a paying customer, if I see them charge somebody double... I will make it a point to talk to the owner, put him/her in their place... Get a refund on my purchase and NEVER use that company for their services again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That is how this problem SHOULD be taken care of... Not crying to daddy (or in this case the government) for a solution!

Sorry back to smoking... MMMmmmm... I will be right back!

posted on Mar, 9 2008 @ 02:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Daedalus
ugh....i was gonna go and type up this huge post, but i've gotten bored with this discussion....sorry, but it's just not relevant to my interests anymore.

i'm out.

Wouldn't it have been easier to just leave? This isn't school man, you don't have to raise your hand and get permission to go to the bathroom... If you are interested in a thread, reply/post all you want... If your not... well don't? Why was it necessary to post a thread telling us you are not going to post in the thread anymore?

Whatever dude?

posted on Mar, 9 2008 @ 02:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by jfj123
There really should be a fast food tax if there's a cigarette tax.

I don't agree. Not everyone who eats fast food is obese. Granted it's not a great food source nutritionally, but I would rather just impose costs on the obese for the things that they have a direct tie to. In insurance you pay more premiums based on your weight. They should pay for two seats if they are that large. Even then it won't matter, they will still eat themselves to death. A fast food tax would only create more revenue for the government, not stop them from being fat.

Perhaps if they had an incentive such as a tax break to get a gastric bypass it might help stem the trend. But then where would the fairness be for those not obese.

Just make the costs of being obese too much for them and they will have to make lifestyle adjustments, a fast food tax would get more revenue for average weight people than the obese. It would not be a "fair" tax if you goal is to make being obese cost prohibitive.

posted on Mar, 9 2008 @ 02:22 PM
link   
This remark should better go here I guess.

Originally posted by Blackwater2012

Has anyone you ever wondered b.t.w. what all the fuss is over the smoking? It´s not because it causes lung cancer or whatever, but rather nicotine activates a neural area in the brain called the mesolimbic system.

Guess what? This process directly interferes with the RFID chip´s neurotransmission capacities. And that is something that needs to be addressed. And that is why you cannot smoke.

posted on Mar, 9 2008 @ 03:27 PM
link   

reply to post by jfj123

Well I don't want to turn this into a fat people thread...

You're absolutely right.

But don't forget, these theaters/airplanes are privatly owned companies... If I own a company I want to keep my customers happy...

And how often do you get decent customer service and care anymore? I completely agree that they SHOULD keep them happy but....

If I want to make my seats smaller so that I can fit more people into my theater, that is my choice and if I want to charge you double cause you take up two seats... I should be able to! So I do agree... It shouldn't be uncle sam's problem!

Correct.

However as a paying customer, if I see them charge somebody double... I will make it a point to talk to the owner, put him/her in their place... Get a refund on my purchase and NEVER use that company for their services again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That is how this problem SHOULD be taken care of... Not crying to daddy (or in this case the government) for a solution!

Good for you!

posted on Mar, 9 2008 @ 03:29 PM
link   
Why is there a argument continueing about smokers being people or not?

They have feelings.

They move just like me and you.

They just have a self-destructive stress releavel.

And we gotta quit smoking. =( I hate them, but I'm bound to the physical stress of reality.

posted on Mar, 9 2008 @ 03:59 PM
link   
Smokers are drug addicts. Smokers freely endanger their own lives. Smokers waste company time and resources. I hope the product is ripped from the shelves and or taxed out of existence. Smokers belong in the same class as crack heads, pot heads, and junkies. Maybe then I too will have the will to quit. I welcome anything that will make it harder for me to justify why its ok for me to pump my body full of nicotine everyday. I have overcome more than a few addictions in my time but this smoking thing just will not go away.
Come on boys and girls...be honest with your self. What good can or has come from your addiction. Why on earth would you defend a product so destructive.

posted on Mar, 9 2008 @ 05:56 PM
link   
If smoking is so bad to everyones health then maybe they should outright ban it altogether much like drugs are. Talk about hypocrisy! Oh and marijuanna which just about everyone does at social parties or has done yet its illegal because it kills us. What a krok of sh.t!!!!!

I am sure in the long run smoking can be detrimental to ones health but so is just about everything else if not done in moderation. I think they are really blowing this nonsmoking campaign out of proportion.

I agree second hand smoke can be dangerous but why not allow for smoking areas, maybe certain rooms, within public buildings? Why should we always have to go outside all the time especially in winter when its cold, raining, snowing, etc?

posted on Mar, 9 2008 @ 06:05 PM
link   
I just don't understand all this seething hatred for people based on the addictions they have.

Yes, smoking is an addiction. Lots of people try to quit smoking and fail - do you think they want to fail? Its addicting. And while were at it, so is food. Food addicition is real, and unlike smoking you just cant quit eating. In a society where people think its OK to hate smokers and "fat people," do you really think anyone would choose to be a smoker or be obese?

Sometimes I think people just like to feel superior and bash peoples problems in order to make themselves feel better. Because smoking and obesity is an obvious problem that everyone can see, its easy to bash them. Of course the reality is we all have problems or an addiction to something, and we should really stop hating other people for problems they may have.

But the answer is not to forcibly stop people from smoking or eating. Why is it I don't see anyone trying to stop alcoholics from drinking (as long as they aren't driving) through legislation in their own home? You won't, because we seem to think alcholhism is an acceptable addicition as a society. But let someone be obese or smoke, and the mob comes out with the torches.

People disgust me.

posted on Mar, 10 2008 @ 12:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by tommyknockers
Smokers are drug addicts. Smokers freely endanger their own lives. Smokers waste company time and resources. I hope the product is ripped from the shelves and or taxed out of existence. Smokers belong in the same class as crack heads, pot heads, and junkies. Maybe then I too will have the will to quit. I welcome anything that will make it harder for me to justify why its ok for me to pump my body full of nicotine everyday. I have overcome more than a few addictions in my time but this smoking thing just will not go away.
Come on boys and girls...be honest with your self. What good can or has come from your addiction. Why on earth would you defend a product so destructive.

Well I wanted to narrow down your post, but I just can't... I need to comment on every word... No way are "we" in the same catagory as crack heads, pot heads, and junkies... Well maybe pot heads, because they SHOULD have the right to legally consume their herb, but as far as crack heads, obviously you don't know one or don't watch TV... I don't hink I even have to point out why we are not in the same catagory, but lets just go with the fact that it is an illegal drug that they would steel money from their own mother or stab somebody to obtain...

I am not completely defending the product as so much as I am defending the rights they are walking all over in an effort to get rid of this "product"...

If you want to quit that badly, I am very sorry that you have failed, but honestly... Making us smoke outside won't do it, making us pay big taxes won't do it, we have to truly want it and then just deal with the negative side effects...

Me... I enjoy the good things that come from a cigarette... I sell for a living, there are ups and downs... This "product" makes me get over the stress of the downs, to help me get back to the ups faster... I enjoy the good feelings I get when smoking and I enjoy the socialization that comes along with it... I feel as though smoking with your boss actually gives you an excuse to get to know them better and them you... I feel as though it tastes good, passes time, and makes me look cool (okay kidding about that last part, we gotta keep the mood light)
Sure I probably will quit, and I know that every day that I smoke it makes it harder to quit later, but I am a live every day for the day kinda guy and today... I want to smoke!

Listen to yourself... Rather than use will power to quit smoking, you would rather ask uncle sam old buddy old pall to walk all over our rights in an effort to do so... Read my signature quote... It says it ALL!

Oh yeah... and smokers (in general) don't waste company time and resources... We are just as effective or in some cases more effective as non-smokers! If the company you work for lets smokers get away with extra paid breaks... That is the companies fault, fire those smokers! In general we follow the same rules, get the same amount of breaks, and work just as hard as non smokers... So that is not only a false statement, it is a direct insult to me as a smoker! Be careful or they will take away your ATS points!

[edit on 10-3-2008 by sparda4355]

posted on Mar, 10 2008 @ 10:46 AM
link   
I am sorry but I work at a company and our insurance is high because of health issues. Most of the people smoke and the ones that do are out of shape with breathing and heart problems. That doesn’t help our insurance prices. I do know that fat people are another reason that our insurance is high also, and I do think there should be a fat tax also. I am getting sick of people making excuses for smokers and over weight people, its time to make a change in the world.

posted on Mar, 10 2008 @ 05:46 PM
link   
reply to post by mule skinner

where is your proof that second hand smoke causes lung cancer?
i'm mean real proof, not some surgeon general saying "second hand smoke causes cancer."
i mean an actual report that shows how its caused, why it's caused and if it's caused.
because as far as i have heard there is no report out there that shows exactly how second hand smoke lung cancer is caused. they paid a doctor to say it causes cancer, but no testing was ever done to prove it exactly.

it is said women are getting lung cancer without exposure to cigarette smoke and it's a fact that women get lung cancer as easy as breast cancer without the toxins of smoking.

posted on Mar, 10 2008 @ 09:10 PM
link   
You know... This is a little off subject for this thread, but I am the OP so I will say it anyway!

All of you NON smokers that get together and throw a @#$%^ fit about second hand smoke do things every day knowingly and unknowingly that have far greater health risks than being in the same room as or near somebody smoking a cigarette!

The same people that complain about cigarette smoking go tanning, eat carcinogenic foods, consume large quantities of liquor, use skin products that are horrible for you, spend hours and hours a day with their cell phone pressed firmly against their ear only inches from their brains, eat frozen dinners, pop over the counter pain killers like candy every time they have the slightest headache or body ache, the list goes on and on...

The Bible actually has a quote that I think is perfect for this thread... Don't pull the thorn out of somebody else’s eye until you pull the 2x4 out of your own! I updated this quote a little, but the fact remains... As my 7 year old daughter would say; every time you point your finger at a smoker, just remember there are three more pointing back at you!

Yeah smoking is not good for you, but there are positive sides to smoking... Stress relief, enjoyment, mellow feeling, time killer, social activity, etc... We choose to take advantage of the good without spending every day worrying about the negative... You don't like it, you want to tell us how we should quit... You better not be doing any of the above things or any other things that are negative for your health!

Now... Give us our smoking forts, give us our integrity and humanity, leave us alone and move on with your "perfect" lives!

Let whoever is perfect in their life, whoever doesn't do anything that is knowingly or unknowingly bad for their health be the first to throw a stone at us smokers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[edit on 10-3-2008 by sparda4355]

posted on Mar, 10 2008 @ 09:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by jcavs88
I am sorry but I work at a company and our insurance is high because of health issues. Most of the people smoke and the ones that do are out of shape with breathing and heart problems. That doesn’t help our insurance prices. I do know that fat people are another reason that our insurance is high also, and I do think there should be a fat tax also. I am getting sick of people making excuses for smokers and over weight people, its time to make a change in the world.

You miss the whole point of a group policy... Yeah people who are a higher risk of health problems make the rates go up, but if you don't like it... Go on a freaking single rate by yourself and see if it is any cheaper? You get a discount because you company has so many people on that policy and possibly pays part of the rates for you...

get over it... "fat people" as you call them will always exist...

No they shouldn't be taxed, they are just people who choose to eat more or maybe don't have a choice because of some thyroid issue or something... Get over your self righteous attitude and quit patting yourself on the back for being what society considers a perfect weight and not smoking...

I guarantee if your honest, you do a lot of things that are unhealthy for you... Should you pay a higher rate for going tanning? eating carcinogenic foods, where do you draw the line? What if they decide to create a state mandated diet and if you don't stick to it you have to pay a tax... Or a state mandated fitness program...

Do you always want other people to step in and solve your problems? or is this new for you?

posted on Mar, 10 2008 @ 09:28 PM
link   
reply to post by sparda4355

To be fair, insurance companies could issue different rates for different condtions and in fact some give premiuim discounts to non smokers or those who choose to quit, even in a group policy. You can have subgroups within a group policy, for example women pay more for their insurance than men in many policies, as they have more medical needs.

I see nothing wrong with those with voluntary health concerns ( smoking, drinking, drug use, over eating ect) paying more for their health care or those not doing so paying less.

posted on Mar, 10 2008 @ 10:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by pavil

I see nothing wrong with those with voluntary health concerns ( smoking, drinking, drug use, over eating ect) paying more for their health care or those not doing so paying less.

Okay... Whatever... Back to my thread... May I please get your vote for my smoking fort

posted on Mar, 11 2008 @ 06:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by pavil

Okay... Whatever... Back to my thread... May I please get your vote for my smoking fort

As long as your smoking fort isn't in my house, you have my vote

new topics

top topics

<< 15  16  17    19 >>

join