It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Smokers are people too!

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 4 2008 @ 01:53 PM
link   
Smokers rights…

If you don’t live in an area with a smoking ban… this probably isn’t the thread for you!

I personally think the way they are treating smokers in several areas, is simply unconstitutional! Smokers are not a protected class, but in today’s society, we should be!

Just for example… At the company I work for, they literally make us walk approximately 2-300 feet (maybe more?), through a gate, some days through 2 feet of piled up snow, with no walls for protection in the windy city sometimes below 20 degrees wind-chill…

Employers and companies have to accommodate for handicap, breast feeding, even fat people (I’m sorry obese people) nowadays… They should have to accommodate for smokers too…

Being forced outside in some cases extreme weather conditions we should have a legally classified comfortable place to smoke! It should include weather and element protection, seating, and proper disposal containers… This should be mandated and enforced!

[edit on 4-3-2008 by sparda4355]

posted on Mar, 4 2008 @ 02:07 PM
link   
Actually, as a smoker you have no rights. They are trying to get everyone to stop and the easiest way so far is to make it as difficult as possible on anyone with the habit. It seems to be working too, smoking is at the lowest level it's ever been.

Maybe a 12 step program is next, "Hi! I'm mrwupy and I'm a smoker."

"HI WUPY!!!!"

Smoking is on it's way to the trash bin of history, all they really have to do is wait for the last few of us to smoke ourselves to death.

posted on Mar, 4 2008 @ 02:07 PM
link   
reply to post by sparda4355

Indeed we are.
And some of us are not ashamed of either.

What's worrisome about the current rabid frenzy is that it's so obviously a diversion.
And no, I don't mean there is a conspiracy or anything.
I am just saying that there are many, MANY things that should have been a priority - even health-wise.

Why aren't they?

Hmm, an interesting question.
You tell me.

P.S. Did you know that, once upon a time, Fidel Castro supposedly launched an equally rabid campaign again... philodendrons?
Oh yes: supposedly, they were responsible for the disastrous condition of the houses in old Havana...

posted on Mar, 4 2008 @ 02:20 PM
link   

It sucks being a smoker, move somewhere warmer, I did. It's not a bad idea to get out of office and breathe fresh air while you slowly kill yourself smoking a cigarette. I do it all the time and just got used to the fact. There are plenty of other countries in the world that still don't give a crap if your co-workers inhale smoke. I suggest that all of us smokers in the U.S. move to a state where we can blow smoke in each others face all day long if we wanted to (somewhere warm).

posted on Mar, 4 2008 @ 02:26 PM
link   

I'm a smoker, but I don't feel that anyone should accommodate us like someone who is handicapped, etc. Handicapped individuals cannot help their condition, we however, can. We choose to smoke.... our choice is a right, but given that it is bothersome, and unhealthy to those who do not smoke I think that they should have the right to not be exposed to it. If they were to ban me from smoking outside or in my own home I would have an issue, otherwise it's all good. I chose to do something unhealthy, I shouldn't expect those around me to have second hand smoke forced upon them.

posted on Mar, 4 2008 @ 03:40 PM
link   
Hell yeah, i'm a smoker too, and not only tabacco haha
, btw i will not get into that further because of the T&C but i live in the netherlands.. the only country in the world where it is legalized. [snip]
but honoustly the smoking ban around here is not cool. We have coffeeshops here where people come to smoke only cigars and cigerrates, and not for coffee.

So they loose allot of customers..

But i know one shop who's violating, they let the customers smoke and bear all the costs that come with it haha.. they put a sign out in front (in dutch) "DO NOT COME IN HERE IF YOU DO NOT SMOKE".

Greetz,

PureET

Mod Edit: Profanity/Circumvention Of Censors – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 4-3-2008 by elevatedone]

posted on Mar, 4 2008 @ 03:42 PM
link   
I feel very lucky to have an indoor smoking room at my work. It is nice and comfy and we can even eat in there and not have to go outside after lunch to smoke (well, if it's nice outside, I probably would go outside to smoke but alas, it's still winter)

Tela

posted on Mar, 4 2008 @ 03:48 PM
link   
I agree about the obese part. They give special treatment to people who can't put down a fork. And I get beat down because of my oral fixation.

Just wait, the "fat tax" is coming. I will fight against it, which can't be said of some anti-smokers.

Welcome to day-care, my name is the Federal Governess and I will be deciding what your morals are to be.

bah!

posted on Mar, 4 2008 @ 04:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Osiris1953

I chose to do something unhealthy, I shouldn't expect those around me to have second hand smoke forced upon them.

I never suggested we should be aloud to smoke around non smokers, I suggested that just because we do something that now is deemed as taboo we should not be completely walked all over...

They should accommodate, they should be forced to provide us a legally mandated smoking sanctuary! Protecting us from the harsh elements or at least a comfortable place to endulge in our chosen pleasure!

posted on Mar, 4 2008 @ 04:26 PM
link   
they should have a "too-much perfume" tax/ban as well. Seriously, I will get nauseous to the point of needing to lay down if I come across someone wearing too much perfume or cologne. I'd rather be stuck in a phone booth with someone smoking a Cohiba.

posted on Mar, 4 2008 @ 04:35 PM
link   
reply to post by scientist

While I agree with you, I would fight any proposed law. It is their right to wear perfume, just as it is my right to smoke. Throwing away rights is only okay as long as my rights aren't the ones tossed. This mentality is going to ruin the US, if it hasn't already.

Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security deserve neither and lose both.--Benjamin Franklin

FYI Farts are filled with methane, I think if smoking is banned so should farting. I would assume it has some bacteria in it as well. And, to me, farts smell alot worse than perfume, or cigarettes.

[edit]I didn't mean you had that mentality Scientist, just as a "in general" observation of the masses.

[edit on 3/4/2008 by adigregorio]

posted on Mar, 4 2008 @ 05:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by mrwupy
Actually, as a smoker you have no rights. They are trying to get everyone to stop and the easiest way so far is to make it as difficult as possible on anyone with the habit.

Oh cmon Dude you can't believe that.... you really think 'they' are so concerned about our health?

This isn't about getting people to stop... or even preventing them from starting. It's about appeasing all the whiny neo-nazimericans who demanded their lifestyle be accomodated over others...

There is absolutely no reason that smokers shouldn't have a smoking room. A single, heated room, with an open window, is more than enough privacy for the health of non-smokers.

But this game is not about simple solutions... for example: if 'they' really wanted people to quit, cigarette companies would be made to dump all the additives etc. Other measures would be taken... this is just another variety of social manipulation and fooling people into thinking they are getting their way.

Non-smokers might feel big and tough now that they got their laws passed, but they are still unaware of countless other rights that they have lost.... and that's all 'they' really want. Please the simpletons and keep them from examining their own rights. If we need to piss off a few million smokers, so be it.

posted on Mar, 4 2008 @ 07:30 PM
link   
You know what they should do, they should just make smoking illegal. Instead of putting smoking bans and that sort of crap, they should just straight up ban it. But oh no, they make way too much money off of the taxes to do that. Same thing with alcohol. If they could have legalized drug's it would have been done a long time ago.

Tis all about thy money

posted on Mar, 4 2008 @ 08:52 PM
link   
Yes you are people too, BUT smoke is posion and it does kill you so the smoking ban is there to protect the people who dont smoke and dont want to die 10 years early then your going to.

and it is true you guys did give up your rights when you decided to smoke.

posted on Mar, 4 2008 @ 08:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by ucanneverdie
Yes you are people too, BUT smoke is posion and it does kill you so the smoking ban is there to protect the people who dont smoke and dont want to die 10 years early then your going to.

Better ban cars, trucks, SUVs, planes, trains, etc. Those all smoke much more than I do.

Originally posted by ucanneverdie
and it is true you guys did give up your rights when you decided to smoke.

No I did not, what makes you think I did?

[edit] heh the rain in spain stays mainly in the plane/plain (oops!)

[edit on 3/4/2008 by adigregorio]

posted on Mar, 4 2008 @ 08:58 PM
link   
reply to post by adigregorio

you got him there man. Smoking is not the only thing that is killing us.

[edit on 4-3-2008 by darcon]

posted on Mar, 4 2008 @ 09:01 PM
link   
reply to post by darcon

They've tried banning something before. We have to amendments that cancel each other out and a incredibly healthy drug trade because of the side effects fo illegality. (Makes it cool dude.)

posted on Mar, 4 2008 @ 09:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by darcon
reply to post by adigregorio

you got him there man. Smoking is not the only thing that is killing us.

no its not but it is the one that you decided to put in your lungs and the lungs of the people around you

posted on Mar, 4 2008 @ 09:14 PM
link   
reply to post by ucanneverdie

Well the "others" don't need me to breath in smoke. Like I said above, most modes of transportation emit MUCH more smoke than I do.

When the anti-smokers stop driving, and using any other type of machine that emits carcinogens then I will feel "bad" about smoking around them.

Anti-smoker: "Wahhhhhhh, Federal Governess adigregorio is smoking! Make him stop its baaaad.

Federal Governess: "You're right anti-smoker it is bad, let's take away his rights so he will have the same morals as "we" do."

Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security deserve neither and lose both.--Benjamin Franklin

posted on Mar, 4 2008 @ 09:20 PM
link   

So Because you choose a habit that kills both people who smoke and don't. Corporate Amerikkka should cater to you. Thats Nuts . If you worked for me and brought that up you'ld be down the road. Smokers already have "smoke breaks" for your addication.Think about that. With that thinking Alocholics should have "Beer breaks" . I dont smoke and one day a co worker and me figured out we work at least 45mins more a day then smokers.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join