It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bible written while high?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 4 2008 @ 07:12 AM
link   

Bible written while high?

www.news.com.au

THE biblical Israelites may have been high on a hallucinogenic plant when Moses brought the Ten Commandments down from Mount Sinai, according to a new study by an Israeli psychology professor.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 4 2008 @ 07:12 AM
link   
If this is true, it would explain a lot...

For me at least.

CT

www.news.com.au
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 4 2008 @ 07:18 AM
link   
Interesting article from which many different discussions could arise.

Random thoughts: The scientist publishing this has some agenda, some say these plants heighten perception while others say they dull perception (no debate topic for ATS though, against the T&C), the bible was written by many different people at many different locations through many different times...the list is endless.

posted on Mar, 4 2008 @ 07:24 AM
link   
Volcanic lightning/thunder is normal, but I'm not too sure about volcanic trumpets.

It's obvious to most people who have delved into drugs that the bible was written by those under the influence of something.

posted on Mar, 4 2008 @ 07:27 AM
link   
If you research this thing, you see that drugs are only one way of many to open up the parts of you to these things. Yes people used drugs, but you cannot say its the oinly way these things happen.

posted on Mar, 4 2008 @ 07:28 AM
link   
certainly would explain the burning bush. Who would talk to a burning bush anyway? I mean seriously if you saw a freaking tree on fire would you stand around and try to have a conversation with it? NO you would try to put it out or get the heck out of there. Dude must have been on something major to think that a burning bush was talking to him.

posted on Mar, 4 2008 @ 07:36 AM
link   
Walking on water, eh? Is that anything like walking on a mirage of water due to the behavior of atmospheric optics?

posted on Mar, 4 2008 @ 07:59 AM
link   
reply to post by Mr. Ree

yeah yeah!! and what about ST HILARIUS, hey? what about ST HILARIUS

hey? what they heck was he on?

(wipes tears from eyes!!!) ahhahahahahaaha(stop it no stop it!)hahehehahe.

Really,um, honestly I havn't read the bible for so long, I'd forgotten about all that first testament stuff. I don't think it would actualy change anything if they were on THE DUST or not,we still have the ten commandments don't we?
I think that's the crux of it all.

posted on Mar, 4 2008 @ 08:00 AM
link   
Methinks there is a time bomb waiting to happen here in this thread.
Only a matter of time till the warns and threat of closure of thread etc.
(I reluctantly accept the need for the T&C so this is not a complaint but an opinion and prediction).
It's a shame as it could be both informative and interesting.

Great post OP.

posted on Mar, 4 2008 @ 08:07 AM
link   
If I remember correctly, I've heard Jordan Maxwell talk about the "mana from heaven" spoken of in the NT as being a mushroom called aminita muscara or something like it.

It is kind of absurd that this is a news story, as it is only speculation - even if probable speculation. It isn't like this is a "new discovery" or anything, but it will certainly bring some information to the ignorant.

I'd be willing to bet my pinky toe that it has been mentioned more than a few times here on ATS that the people who wrote the bible were probably high on "spiritual" drugs.

posted on Mar, 4 2008 @ 08:17 AM
link   
If you were to take one individual component of scripture on its own with a completely secular mindset and the assumption that there is nothing unexplained out there, yes, the only feasible explanation would be drug use causing whatever supernatural experience takes place in the section of scripture you're scrutinizing.

However, that falls apart as you look at the book as a whole. There is a unity throughout all of scripture where everything points to one thing, namely the cross. It doesn't contradict itself (though there are some areas that seem as contradiction until you become familiar with the whole thing and/or the context of the seeming contradiction), it contains predictions that came to pass (ex. Daniel predicting the fall of the Roman empire and how before the Roman empire even existed), and again, unity of purpose.

Now you have a huge problem on your hands, because no drug I've heard of gives humanity a collective conscious that spans time and allows the same story to be told through 44 authors over the span of 1,500 years.

The article seems to put forward that, because two plants found in the desert, when combined in as brew of ayahuasca, cause hallucinations, and (I'm inferring this) because the author doesn't believe in God, it must mean the Israelis took the drug to experience what took place at Sinai.

And then, maybe, the effects just never wore off. Through generations, until about 70 AD when the drug was finally purged from the Jewish blood stream with the destruction of the Temple.

Hmm...

posted on Mar, 4 2008 @ 08:21 AM
link   
Now, as a mod, regarding the discussion of drugs and the like, refrain from relating personal experience or encouragement of trying various drugs, and the discussion will be fine.

posted on Mar, 4 2008 @ 08:27 AM
link   
This theory was put forth in the book "The Sacred Mushroom and the Cross" back in the 70's i believe. Great book for those that like to read "fringe" theories on religion.

Among other things, the author argues that the use of Amanita muscaria lead to many of the precieved miracles of the bible, and further, that Jesus was actually an analogy of the mushroom (or psychedelics in general)

Of oucrse that recollection may be off, as its from memory and its been a long time since ive read that book.

posted on Mar, 4 2008 @ 08:44 AM
link   
I suppose if we follow the thinking process of the article, then we are lead to assume that the Mount of Transfiguration incident was also a drug trip.

Six days later Jesus took with Him Peter and James and John his brother, and led them up on a high mountain by themselves. And He was transfigured before them; and His face shone like the sun, and His garments became as white as light. And behold, Moses and Elijah appeared to them, talking with Him. (Matthew 17: 1-3)

Speaking of Moses, I wonder how this same gentleman would explain Moses and the parting of the Red Sea, as the multitude of Israelites crossed over on dry sea bed, between the waters, to the other side of the shore? Are we to assume they were all hallucinating and actually came out wet on the other side?

posted on Mar, 4 2008 @ 08:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by InSpiteOf
Among other things, the author argues that the use of Amanita muscaria lead to many of the precieved miracles of the bible, and further, that Jesus was actually an analogy of the mushroom (or psychedelics in general)

That, too, is a huge leap of faith. Many religions have had a central focus around psychedelics to experience God, spirits, or to have some spiritual experience. In all of them, though, it is known that the psychedelic is used. In the case of Christianity and Judaism, not only is it never mentioned in scripture that the drugs lead to a deeper understanding and experience of God. Now, you could attempt to make the claim that scripture doesn't talk about any drugs, but that, too, wouldn't be true, as wine and other alcoholic beverages are both encouraged (in moderation) and discouraged (in excess). Nor are psychedelics mentioned in the Talmud, which is the Jewish oral tradition.

So, for this to be true, there would have to be an understanding that has been lost, with no written record supporting it, that psychedelics were the central focus of Judaism. Seems like a leap of faith, to me, and a rather large one.

posted on Mar, 4 2008 @ 09:10 AM
link   
If this topic is at all interesting to you, Terence McKenna's "Food Of The Gods" is required reading. It highlights how ancient orgiastic, pagan cultures used psilocybin mushrooms in their religious ceremonies. Long story short: these cultures used honey to preserve fungus....the honey fermented and became an alcoholic beverage. The alcohol became the important drug and the cult of the mushroom was forgotten. Pagan societies slowly became more violent, paternalistic cultures.

posted on Mar, 4 2008 @ 09:26 AM
link   
reply to post by junglejake

Well again, I am going soley on an old memory (though I have the book kicking around somewhere).

But as I recall, a main point of his was that the oral stories passed down were actually full of analogy and symbolism. That certain figures and stories passed down were actually representations of spiritual substances.

Of course, the author used refrence and source material to back up his claims.

Its still an interesting read either way.

As for the leap of faith, to me, it requires no greater a leap than to believe that Moses parted the sea; god spoke to moses; and jesus came back to life.

Edit to add: Just to make it clear (as i cant really put my thoughts in order today for some reason) the authors argument is that the stories being passed down ARE the records of psychedelic use, they have just been altered and/or misinterpreted from their original context.

[edit on 4-3-2008 by InSpiteOf]

posted on Mar, 4 2008 @ 09:39 AM
link   
I'm just wondering how the OP managed to get that title from the story.

Does he not know that the Bible consists of 66 books written over many hundreds of years?

Even if the Israelites were using drugs when Moses descended the mount, how does that translate to the Bible being written while high?

posted on Mar, 4 2008 @ 09:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by GradyPhilpott
I'm just wondering how the OP managed to get that title from the story.

Does he not know that the Bible consists of 66 books written over many hundreds of years?

Even if the Israelites were using drugs when Moses descended the mount, how does that translate to the Bible being written while high?

I'm wondering if you are... well... I'm just wondering. The title of the original story was exactly what the OP posted.

Sure, I realize you are trying to somehow defend the bible and it's drug addict laden storylines about people walking on water and voices from the bushes and all that.

Hey, yeah. Drugs man - they rock.

posted on Mar, 4 2008 @ 10:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mr. Ree

Sure, I realize you are trying to somehow defend the bible and it's drug addict laden storylines about people walking on water and voices from the bushes and all that.

Sorry I missed that. I have to wonder then, what was the journalist thinking.

I'm not defending the Bible. The Israelites were humans who got high like everyone else on what they could.

My question and observation still apply, but I apologize to the OP.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join