It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why shouldn't ET look like us?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 24 2008 @ 10:53 AM
link   
reply to post by SomeGuy34

You're all a little weird here I think.

No doubt some of us are a little weird, now lets stick to the topic of the thread please.

Why shouldn't ET look like us?

[edit on 24/3/2008 by Sauron]

posted on Mar, 24 2008 @ 03:59 PM
link   
What an enjoyable thread!

My basic reply is that they COULD look like us, or they could NOT look like us. I mean this in regards to the whole 1 head, 2 eyes, 2 arms, 2 legs, etc. sort of way.

However, there do seem to be some 'features' that once achieved allow an animal to gain access to a higher level of intelligence. I'll try to explain.

1) Upright stance, or bi-pedal gait. Once an animal has established a bi-pedal gait, even with a tail (as seen in some dinosaurs, and the modern Kangaroo) that animal will necessarily learn new skills, required for this gait.

2) Binocular Vision - This one I think is very important. As mentioned earlier, animals without binocular vision tend to be herbivores by necessity, as they lack the ability to hunt effectively. Binocular vision allows an animal depth perception, and the ability to accurately track prey that is moving. Binocular vision is seen in all effective hunters today (on land). Even the hunters of the late Jurrasic Period (like the Velociraptor) had something remarkably similar to binocular vision. Though their eyes were not truly in the front of their heads, they could pivot them forward and use them together (so I've read).

3) Digits to Manipulate Tools - This one is sort of obvious. With the ability to use tools comes a higher level of possible intelligence in a species, as has been mentioned already. I think it's worth pointing out though, as Badge01 mentioned, the Octopus has achieved this in a novel way. 8 legs work in several capacities. They can be used for locomotion on both land and water, but they can also be used as fingers for grasping. Where we have separate appendages for separate tasks, we cannot necessarily assume that other species will divide the workload in such a way. Octopi are quite intelligent, and able to use their legs in these ways. On the Discovery Channel I saw a documentary that revealed if you put 2 Octopi in a tank with a ball, they will play with the ball. Octopus specimens have been shown to be extremely clever when hunting prey. They can navigate complicated mazes to reach food, and have even been known to sneak out of their storage tanks and into other tanks for food during the night. Additionally, it is claimed that they on occasion use sharp rocks or shells as tools for catching and eating small prey on the ocean floor.

Finally, in another sort of reply to the OPs question about whether or not we would 'recognize' them. I feel that yes we would, just as we are able to recognize the level of intelligence in any animal. It's intuitive, and it's something that humans are very good at. Upon first meeting we would judge the creature instantly and determine if we thought it was a threat, just as we do when passing each other in dark alleys

I also think it's likely (though not certain by any means) that we would 'recognize' their level of intelligence based upon what they have with them. Some may wear clothing, in fact in an alien environment, we might even expect them to wear some sort of 'environmental control suit' set to their specifications, like we do in space. But they might also carry technology, a clear sign of intelligence. A weapon, or a communications device, or even the alien equivalent of a Garmin GPS would be a dead giveaway that you are not looking at an Earth Animal.

Excellent thread, I really enjoyed this topic, and am looking forward to the thoughts of others in reply.

-WFA

posted on Nov, 1 2014 @ 08:23 PM
link   
Great thread. I agree with the OP that visiting aliens should look like us, and be really similar to us, with the acceptation of skin color, size, and features that are evolved from their home planet. Wouldn't it be interesting to discover a species of intelligent life that looks nothing like us but understands the laws of the Universe and can travel through space?

posted on Nov, 2 2014 @ 08:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: WitnessFromAfar
3) Digits to Manipulate Tools - This one is sort of obvious. With the ability to use tools comes a higher level of possible intelligence in a species, as has been mentioned already. I think it's worth pointing out though, as Badge01 mentioned, the Octopus has achieved this in a novel way. 8 legs work in several capacities. They can be used for locomotion on both land and water, but they can also be used as fingers for grasping. Where we have separate appendages for separate tasks, we cannot necessarily assume that other species will divide the workload in such a way. Octopi are quite intelligent, and able to use their legs in these ways. On the Discovery Channel I saw a documentary that revealed if you put 2 Octopi in a tank with a ball, they will play with the ball. Octopus specimens have been shown to be extremely clever when hunting prey. They can navigate complicated mazes to reach food, and have even been known to sneak out of their storage tanks and into other tanks for food during the night. Additionally, it is claimed that they on occasion use sharp rocks or shells as tools for catching and eating small prey on the ocean floor.

But IMO the comparison with an octopus show that a more advanced alien *would* look more like us, rather than an octopus. Why? Because they dont have the precision to work. That's not to say they arent clever and can work with basic things, but its not like they will be able to perform surgery or fine tune a guitar. Its like comparing the hand of a toddler to an adult. Both can do pretty neat stuff with their hands, but the toddler will never be able to do it with the precision of what an adult can. And that's on the same design.

Anyway, yes, my hopes are for the Star Trek/Star Wars theory to be true. Most aliens are similar. It would be a boring universe if no one could comprehend each other.

edit on 2-11-2014 by merka because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 2 2014 @ 10:55 PM
link   
GIven all the possibilities it is highly unlikely intelligent technological aliens would look like us other than perhaps having something similar to hands.

Anyone familiar with the evolution of life on Earth knows there are any number of paths which could have lead to intelligent beings which would have looked nothing like us.

Human looking aliens are great sci-fi but not really likely in science.

<< 1   >>

join