It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

did ALIENS set off this martian landslide??

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 3 2008 @ 06:59 PM
link   
According to all scientists..Mars is a still, dead planet..yet some kind of movement must have set this landslide off and dont tell me it was the wind becus I wont buy it

news.yahoo.com...

posted on Mar, 3 2008 @ 07:05 PM
link   
reply to post by jainatorres

natural occuring avalanches.

its not that hard to imagine that things can happen like that

just because something happens out inspace doesnt mean aliens are behind it

posted on Mar, 3 2008 @ 07:08 PM
link   
In those pictures...is that snow or ice at the top of the gorge? I mean if the Sun is heating up and warming ALL the planets (as being claimed recently), then maybe melting ice is starting to free up some loose rocks?

posted on Mar, 3 2008 @ 07:24 PM
link   

Are all land-slides on Earth the result of animal (humans and aliens included) intervention?

There are so many causes for a land-slide that I thought that even those that "see" alien actions in everything should think twice before saying something like this.

Apparently, I was wrong.

Here you have a close-up of that image.
(You have to click the image to see it all)

The original colour image (a 341.0 MB JPEG2000 image) is available here.

And yes, Optix, that is supposed to be frozen CO2.

posted on Mar, 3 2008 @ 07:28 PM
link   
Mars is supposed to be dead, nothing stirs for billions of years according to Nasa..

posted on Mar, 3 2008 @ 07:46 PM
link   
NASA doesn't make that claim, specifically. In particular, they will admit that the ice caps grow and retreat as mars travels through its seasons around the sun.

I think their official guess on this (they don't provide a reason for it) has to do with the avalanche being on the edge of the ice flow. They could speculate that much like the edge of a glacier is active, the cliffs next to the ice cap are active. At the very least, hundreds of millions of years of ice growing and retreating would cause erosion. So the planet could never be geologically dead at that level. They could talk about this event in purely geological and hydrological terms and it would be a valid discussion.

Its possible that the edge of the ice is very active and this kind of event is common.

ArMap, I was lead to believe that the one pole with a permanent cap was largely water ice, with CO2 making up the annual frost outside the polar cap. Is that wrong? Edit: So I just looked it up and the Mighty Interwebs said they are a mixture of CO2 and H2O. I wonder what mixture that slushy is.

[edit on 3-3-2008 by Ectoterrestrial]

posted on Mar, 3 2008 @ 07:52 PM
link   

You are mistaken, jainatorres. Mars is devoid of life, but, hardly a "dead" planet. It still has tectonic movement, weather changes ( Mars May Be Emerging From an Ice Age ) and can hardly be labeled as dead yet. So, what's your point? Why does the answer have to be "Aliens"? How about "Marsquake"?

Cuhail

posted on Mar, 3 2008 @ 08:15 PM
link   
Highly likely Mars is active. Not as much as Earth. Most likely small tremors.

top topics

join