It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Idiot Savants…

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 3 2008 @ 05:56 PM
link   
I am extremely interested in this phenomenon! I think that the absolute awesomeness of this is significantly over looked!

Nobody really knows how/why these individuals are so advanced in the unique ways…

www.searchwithin.org...

I however have a theory… let me know what you think!

We might be able to amaze a few people, draw a crowd, or increase ratings on a television show with their unique abilities…

(In case you have never witnessed or heard of these talents here are a few examples… Ability to play any instrument extremely well first time they pick it up, ability to add/multiply/divide any number seemingly instantly, ability to dismantle and reassemble entire engines without writing anything down, map out complex electrical systems in their head… etc… the list goes on!)

It is my belief that this is a waste of talent, truly a waste of a miraculous phenomenon that we barely even have begun to understand… If we are to unite these individuals, develop and study their unique abilities, and discover ways to combine all of the seemingly useless talents into a single combined super intellect, it could truly change the world!

I am not saying I know exactly how to achieve this, I am not claiming that it is an easy task to achieve, but what I am claiming is that these individuals only have limited time on this planet and it is a shame not to discover their true power! (To me this is like having Albert Einstein working as a fry cook at a fast food restraint!)

posted on Mar, 3 2008 @ 06:03 PM
link   
I think you're right that parading them around on TV and other such mediums is a waste of their talents. However, I don't think that combining them will work in any way. The thing about Idiot Savants is that while they are extremely skilled in usually one area, they are extremely lacking in all others. If you get a bunch of Idiot Savants together in a room there might be a grand total of all kinds of great talents, but getting them all to work together would be hell. It probably couldn't be done.

Additionally, if I remember correctly, the things they are almost always lacking in are the abilities to put these skills to good use. (Correct me if I'm wrong.) For example, an Idiot Savant may be incredible at playing the piano, learning some of the most complex symphonies in minutes completely by ear, but if you wanted him to write a symphony, he would not be able to do it. They may be skilled, but I think that their skills are very rarely something they have the conscious ability to use effectively, especially in a group.

But I could be wrong. It's been years since I read up on them and I might be mixing them with people affected by autism or something.

Interesting idea though! Perhaps it would work... (I liked your Einstein analogy by the way.)

[edit on 3/3/08 by an3rkist]

posted on Mar, 3 2008 @ 06:26 PM
link   
reply to post by an3rkist

NO... you are right on track... actually it is autism that they have...

I am aware that the common belief is that they cannot put their talent to use, but if you think outside the box... I think it can be done!

I don't mean actually putting them all in a room, I mean bringing them together under one organization...

Just to give you an example, they may not be able to write a symphony... but being able to exactly duplicate one that already exists can also be of use... You just have to think of unique ways to use it... Just for example you might use somebody with this talent to recreate an original recording that was poorly recorded and the original artist is dead... "remaster" so-to-speak... That is just one quick idea I just came up with... If great minds work together with all different forms of talent, I am sure we could come up with more useful ideas!

The fact that putting them together (their talents) would be "hell" as you put it is exactly what has prevented a lot of people from trying... So I do agree that it would be and is seemingly impossible, however at one point so was flying and space travel... I just don't think anybody has put forth a good effort, and I honestly believe if we do... the results could be unparalleled

Ultamitally, although this seems far fetched, and seemingly impossible... I think it is worth a good effort... I think the benefits of such a breakthrough could be phenominal!!!

posted on Mar, 3 2008 @ 08:06 PM
link   
reply to post by sparda4355

I think, in theory, that using their amazing abilities to our advantage, is perfectly sound. I mean, someone who is so focused on one skill, and is so skilled at it, could definitely provide insight and could be used for some great things.

But the word "used" is always looked upon as a good thing, especially in the case of people who could be referred to as "handicapped" or whatever the current politically correct terminology is. You might need to take into account that some people will see this organization as "using" the Savants. Even if you're using them for good reasons, people will say that these people don't understand...blah blah blah.

Have you considered the possibility that an organization similar to this may already exist? I mean, I agree that your theory is sound, so perhaps somebody has already done this?

posted on Mar, 3 2008 @ 08:31 PM
link   
I've always thought that these people were just remnants of people long times ago.

Look at all the amazing ancient architecture that we're just now 'figuring out' with computers and all that jazz, or the stuff that "normal people just can't do."

Who knows...

posted on Mar, 3 2008 @ 09:28 PM
link   
reply to post by an3rkist

Well technically I never used the word use... lol you did!

People who are mentally challenged bag groceries... Are we using them? or are we allowing them to do what they can to give back to society for a fair wage? Handicap people of all sorts work every day... we are not using them, they simply have a right to use the skills that they do have to give back to society... Apply this same formula and see what you come up with!
We allow them to use their tallent to give back to society in a awesome way, a way most of us are incapible of!

As far as it being done... well I have no idea or I would not have created this thread... I can't find anything?

Also you mentioned it is a sound idea so it probably has been attempted... First of all... thank you! I thought so too... second, just because it is a sound idea doesn't mean anybody else has thought of it, or done anything to make it happen... If that was the case, nothing new would be invented... ever!

I think there would be some moral issues brought up, I think there would be some walls you would have to knock down, I also think that it would take a lot of money in research and failed attempts, but... ultimitally, I think the end result would be worth every bit of it!

Update: Plus, I would like to point out... we would not be using "them" to benefit "us", because they are a part of humanity... So we would be working together to benefit humanity!

[edit on 3-3-2008 by sparda4355]

posted on Mar, 3 2008 @ 09:35 PM
link   
reply to post by alaskan

I don't understand? do you mean reincarnated? do you mean in their genes? their genetic coding?

Even if you are right, and you might be… they still have phenomenal unexplainable talents that could be of good use to society or humanity itself!

Lets say they are remnants of fantastic minds… Those minds created some of the most spectacular music, unbelievable theories that we still abide by and follow today, and if those people were alive today… wow!

My belief is that these people are born with amazing talents but either through some sort of black magic, curse, or evil power their talents have been “locked” so that we cannot use them and that it is our duty to find the key that sets them free…

Imagine if Albert Einstein with his amazing brain was bound by some evil curse and his brain was blocked from communicating with this world… All of that power and ability, all of those theories and ideas, all of his inventions never to have been created! Where would be today… If sorcery exists, these people would be the targets!

posted on Mar, 6 2008 @ 05:06 AM
link   
I meant maybe they somehow got leftover genes that have since been 'washed out' of most everyone else.

Our technology is definitely advancing, but there's pretty much no way you can say human beings are better as a species than we used to be.

And I never said they weren't useful, just different.

[edit on 6-3-2008 by alaskan]

posted on Mar, 6 2008 @ 05:44 AM
link   
They'd make great black project mechanics if they can find those who can put crashed UFOs back together again. No worries about secrecy there, huh.

posted on Mar, 6 2008 @ 12:10 PM
link   
I remember reading this a while back about Kim Peek, ( the real life rainman ). He is probably the most popular & gifted "mega-savants" in history. He was born with a few different brain abnormalities;

Kim Peek was born with macrocephaly, damage to the cerebellum, and, perhaps most important, agenesis of the corpus callosum, a condition in which the bundle of nerves that connects the two hemispheres of the brain is missing; in Peek's case, secondary connectors such as the anterior commissure are also missing. There is speculation that his neurons make other connections in the absence of a corpus callosum, which results in an increased memory capacity.

Similar abnormalities have been found in other savants as well. Very interesting topic!

2PacSade-

new topics

top topics

join