It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

John Randle, Hall of Fame?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 3 2008 @ 03:00 PM
link   
He was a formidable defensive lineman, never plated on SB team. Should he make the HoF? I think so:

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Mar, 3 2008 @ 03:12 PM
link   
There are other defensive linemen in the Hall who I would consider less worthy than Randle, that's for sure. The body of work is there.

Peace

posted on Mar, 4 2008 @ 11:03 AM
link   
Nonstop motor. Got results on the field, no issues off. Mentor to younger players. Played in Seattle for a couple of seasons. I loved the guy.
Overall, certainly as worthy as some, who are in already.

posted on Mar, 4 2008 @ 11:13 AM
link   

wikipedia:

Randle left the NFL tied with Richard Dent for 5th in number of career sacks, and his 137.5 career sacks is the most by a defensive tackle in NFL history. Over his career he was named to seven Pro Bowl squads. He was named All Tackle Machine of 1999 by Tackle The Magazine.

7x Pro Bowl and 7x All Pros. I think he's earned it. Is there any reason he wouldn't or shouldn't get it?

I say he's a shoe-in.

posted on Mar, 4 2008 @ 02:02 PM
link   
Absolutely. He sure terrorized the Packers through the years, especially in the Dome. He and Favre did some serious jawing at each other. His eye makeup was always tastefully applied, too.

Now they're both retired.

posted on Mar, 4 2008 @ 02:14 PM
link   
warren sapp is better and badder, questionable HOF too.
but i say both of them in.

[edit on 4-3-2008 by beastamerica]

posted on Mar, 4 2008 @ 02:57 PM
link   
reply to post by beastamerica

You can make an argument that Sapp was the most feared interior defensive lineman of his generation, but the way he just got fat and tailed off at the end of his career leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

Edit: Sapp should make the Hall as well.

Peace

[edit on 4-3-2008 by Dr Love]

posted on Mar, 4 2008 @ 03:15 PM
link   
yes sir. and this 1 thing i seen myself. when sapp was featured in PUNK'ed! they have hidden cameras in an oakland restaurant, the waites asked "how do you like cali (or something like that), and sapp not knowing there's hidden camera and audio everywhere answered "just cashing your checks man, just cashing the check". what a sell-out.
also, defensive linemen find it hard to get into HOF or garner enough respect because coaches can easily neutralize them by double-teaming them the whole time. Jason Taylor, now that's a beast, IMHO the best player in NFL. john randle WAS JT early on his career.
other noticeable linemen, "the freak", the 1 from houston picked before reggie bush, and the big guy from san diego. (i'm so bad with names)
hey do u have fantasy leagues here in BTS/ATS?

posted on Mar, 4 2008 @ 03:46 PM
link   
I don't know about Sapp. A couple real strong years in a relatively short career. I'd be on the fence leaning towards no.

Tough call.

posted on Mar, 4 2008 @ 04:03 PM
link   
yeah randle has the numbers, no SB though.....that's always IMO a major factor in any sport

winning is all the matters, you play to win

but randle is so...boring i guess, he didn't make much noise, he just played

the ONLY thing against him being in the hall is the lack of a ring, but dan marino is there so...john randle can be there too

posted on Mar, 4 2008 @ 10:01 PM
link   
Randle should definitely get in. The number of sacks he had as a tackle is just crazy. He performed at a high level for a good number of years. If a championship has anything to do with it, Butkus (who never even played in a playoff game) wouldn't be in. Sapp, I say no. I'm not so sure Sapp gets in, and for sure not on the first ballot. If Sapp gets in, then they need to rename the Hall after Cortez Kennedy when he's eligible.

posted on Mar, 5 2008 @ 11:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by yeahright
Randle should definitely get in. The number of sacks he had as a tackle is just crazy. He performed at a high level for a good number of years. If a championship has anything to do with it, Butkus (who never even played in a playoff game) wouldn't be in. Sapp, I say no. I'm not so sure Sapp gets in, and for sure not on the first ballot. If Sapp gets in, then they need to rename the Hall after Cortez Kennedy when he's eligible.

why? sapp was the premier defensive tackle until he went to oakland and played as an end in a 3-4, he lost weight last season but that wouldn't matter when oakland sucks anyways

sapp was awesome, and even in oakland he was drawing double teams

posted on Jan, 1 2009 @ 03:24 PM
link   
dont forget that john randle wasnt even drafted he came in as a free agent hoping to get away from the poverish home he was from not saying he didnt love his family he just wanted better and he was so determined he even bought a metal chain to add ten pounds when he weighed in for the team before his rookie season and all of that not having a ring the HOF is individual and it is easily possible that a person never wins a superbowl because its a team aspect and its just not fair to hold against someone based on individual performance i think he is in for sure

posted on Jan, 1 2009 @ 05:19 PM
link   
John Randle was a beast. When the Vikes had Randle on one side and Henry Thomas next to him they were almost unblockable.

Definite HOF, no DLineman ever worked harder or had more fun playing the game. They called him Batman for a reason!!

posted on Jan, 1 2009 @ 05:23 PM
link   
Let's just have a look at the numbers.........

13 Seasons in the NFL from 1990 - 2003(10 with the Minnesota Vikings)
7 Time Pro Bowler
7 Time All-Pro
137.5 Sacks (Most for a defensive tackle in the history of the National Football League.)

John Randle was one of the most feared defensive tackles in the history of the National Football League. If this man does not get into the the Hall of Fame on the first year of eligibility, it will be a shame. I certainly hope that they do not do the same thing to him as to what they did Art Monk or Irving Friar. John was a player that everbody loved to watch, or, if you were a Packers fan then youloved to hate him.
He terrorized the Green Bay Packers for years. Even when he played for Seattle during those last three years of his career.
How many times did you guys ever hear of John Randle having off the field trouble? I for one never heard of him getting into trouble with the law. Granted he caused more trouble for the opposing teams on the field. John Randle was a player that even your kids could love. That's because he never got into trouble with anyone off the field

If Michael Irvin can get into the Hall of Fame with all of the trouble that he has gotten into. Then why shouldn't John Randle be elected to the Hall? Or is it the number of Super Bowl rings that get you into the Hall?

[edit on 1-1-2009 by gimmefootball400]

posted on Aug, 1 2010 @ 02:44 PM
link   
And he's going in next Saturday.

He's in some pretty heady company too. Jerry and Emmit as well.

posted on Jan, 11 2016 @ 07:03 PM
link   
I loved the guy.

originally posted by: intrepid
He was a formidable defensive lineman, never plated on SB team. Should he make the HoF? I think so:

en.wikipedia.org...

I love the guy. Do you remember the commercial where Randle, in uniform, is chasing a live chicken with a Packer number 4 sweater on it?...

edit on 11-1-2016 by nwtrucker because: (no reason given)

www.google.com...=commercial+with+john+randle+chasing+a+chicken+in+a+bret+favre+sweater
edit on 11-1-2016 by nwtrucker because: (no reason given)

top topics

join