It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Build my bunker! 3D!!!!!

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 4 2008 @ 03:32 PM
link   
People people!

This is a "Theoretical" Bunker.

I never said I was going to build it.
This is a fantasy. Nothing more.

On the other hand if it gets to that level maybe it will be built but for now lets ALL throw in ideas on how to build the perfect shelter and I'll take them and make them come to life. On a computer of course.

posted on Mar, 4 2008 @ 03:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by quantum wind
Air supply can be a major issue. I found a site that tells you how to make a DIY air pump out of every day items
Airpump

Hope it helps

I was looking for something like this. Thank you.

posted on Mar, 4 2008 @ 03:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by ignorant_ape
4 vitial questions you need to address before ANYTHING else

1 - what exactly do you hope to survive

2 - how long do you want it to protect you

3 - what is your budget

it is no good having a pipe dream if you cannot afford to build it

4 [ really 1 b ] how overt / covert do you want it to be

1-As much as possible

2-As long as possible

3-As big as possible

4-This is a pipe dream.

posted on Mar, 4 2008 @ 03:37 PM
link   

on the question of roof design

domed roofs look nice in churches

but they are crapp for bunkers

they are far harder / more expensive to build

they are very volume inefficient

a domed roof structure is taller than flat roofs - for a given living area with a useable headroom

if you really want strength - use a seperate carapace like this :

the void under the carapace should ideally be filled with loose rubble - its least condctive to shock wave / blast

but the cost of this design is prohibitive

posted on Mar, 4 2008 @ 03:39 PM
link   

on the question of roof design

domed roofs look nice in churches

but they are crapp for bunkers

they are far harder / more expensive to build

they are very volume inefficient

a domed roof structure is taller than flat roofs - for a given living area with a useable headroom

if you really want strength - use a seperate carapace like this :

the void under the carapace should ideally be filled with loose rubble - its least condctive to shock wave / blast

but the cost of this design is prohibitive

Cool. I like it.

Now I'm guessing this could be built in a small desert or rural area probably in the mid-west. What about sand, does it absorb better then other material? limestone?

posted on Mar, 4 2008 @ 04:11 PM
link   
!!Update!!

Okay,

After reading some post, I've made some changes.

1-Ventilation system is almost finished. Just need the pump
2-Bathroom floor and drainage are almost done. New Toilet.
3-A herbal garden with air filtration has been added.
4-Security system is just starting.
5-Bunk beds are in place.
6-Some lighting is finished.

Too big for ats pic

A- Is it a good idea to have a counter then a flat surface at the edges?
B- Main entrance/quarantine zone? (thanks to defcon5)
C- Main protective layer? (i.e ignorant ape's post)

[edit on 4-3-2008 by 168.56.255.255]

posted on Mar, 5 2008 @ 05:15 AM
link   
Here are a couple of links to some shelter manufacturers that might come in handy with your project:

Utah Shelter Systems
The Survival Center
Monolithic Domes

posted on Mar, 5 2008 @ 11:22 AM
link   
reply to post by 168.56.255.255

Maybe instead of regular bunk beds you could use shelf type beds that fold out from the wall to save floor space. A wooden floor over concrete would also be a lot easier on the legs and feet too.

Have you ever noticed how concrete seems to suck the energy and heat right out of you? I hate Home Depot for that very reason! One circuit of the store, and I feel like I've literally walked miles.

posted on Mar, 9 2008 @ 06:31 PM
link   
Good LORD! I can't see it at all almost. It's very dark, is that a realtime, game engine rendering? Take it from a 3d graphics artist, lighten it up a little so we can see (maybe this monitor is too dark). I use Blender for everything base modeled and more advance stuff, wish I could comment on your structure, but like I said I can't see it. Check out this website:
wwwblender.org
It's great 3d modeling software and it's FREE! Not a demo, not sharware, not even freeware, it's open source completely free.

Peace,

-Jimmy

posted on Mar, 12 2008 @ 07:57 PM
link   
There are prefabricated, prestressed concrete quonset hut style structures that the military uses that are far cheaper than the method you propose. I had to due a bid for a standard size one in '02 for a munitions bunker. Cost about $125k for a 16'x80' with at 13' ceiling. They make smaller units but I can't remember the price. These unit are designed for at least 6 feet of earth on top.

One glaring error I saw was that you didn't have second escape rout/shaft from your shelter. It should be angled at less than 30 degress from the horizontal and at least 24 inches in diameter in case you have move wounded folks on stretcher through it. The exit should at least 50 feet away from your main vertical shaft entrance and well concealed.

posted on Mar, 12 2008 @ 08:44 PM
link   
Hi 168. I just wanted to add some input to your idea.

A subterranean concrete bunker will pose you a few problems as far as I can see. A total damp-proof course will be needed between the outer skin and the surrounding earth or you'll have major problems with water/damp if the bunker is to last you any amount of time, also a decent amount of insulation after the DPC as concrete has a tendency to conduct heat which will ultimately be a waste of valuable energy.

The Insulated Concrete Form method, using locked-together polystyrene forms filled with concrete, may be an easier and cheaper way to construct your shelter

Here's an example:

Also, have you tried using the free SketchUp design software? very intuitive to use and produces real good renderings too

[edit on 12-3-2008 by citizen smith]

posted on Mar, 13 2008 @ 12:45 PM
link   
!!!UPDATE!!!

Ive revamped the design to be realistic.

It will be made of two shipping containers each 20 feet long and 10 feet wide totaling over 400 square feet. One will be living quarters and the other an operational section where there will be a small quarantine room, a central room followed by a bathroom with showers.

All water, air, and food systems will be located inside the shelter rather then outside of it to prevent damage and to allow easy repair.

Ventilation will be provide by a simple low voltage air pump which gathers air from external air shafts, filters it, and then distributes it via a small network of steel piping.

Water will be stored in two large containers located in a secure room inside the living quarters (Container 2).

Drainage and sewage will be pumped to the exterior of the shelter into a septic tank.

Water can either be collected form hidden rain collectors or by some sort of recycling mechanism, which I have yet to figure out.

posted on Mar, 13 2008 @ 12:49 PM
link   
reply to post by citizen smith

Thank you,

Yes, I do use sketchup. I'm thinking of using it for this project since it can be used with my 3D design software.

Thank for the info on the walls!

Very helpful.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join