It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My [seemingly overly paranoid] plans. Suggestions please...

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 18 2008 @ 04:11 PM
link   
I think I need to think a bit more locally. Not that I've changed the above plans, but I've put them off to a later date. First I'm going to prepare myself to be a nomad in the event of a SitX. I mean, I'm already a nomad, but I'm going to get a transportable supply of food, weapons, gear, and other supplies.

I'm basically ready to bug out at a moment's notice anyway, but I don't have a large enough food supply and I've put off getting weapons, or rather been denied the right to do so based on the fact that I'm not a resident of any state right now.
A few more months and I'll have residency though and can get a license to carry. (I don't think I should have to since I was in the military, but whatever...) My friend is a licensed firearms dealer so I've considered just having him order some weapons for me and hold on to them until the event of a SitX, but I don't want to have to rely on somebody else, not even a trusted friend. I'm going to be living in my truck again soon, (which I enjoy, oddly enough), and will be able to start building up my transportable supply of SitX gear.

Once all that's accomplished to a satisfactory level, I'll start saving up to buy land so that I don't have to get out a loan. If I can't get the land in time I'll be good still, I'll just be on the run. (It may be smarter not to be tied down to land anyway.) But if I can save up enough to get the land without a loan before any SitX occurs I'll be ready to carry out the plans explained in my first post. Plus I can use the time that I'm waiting to study and learn about gardening, etc. I think this is a good addition to my plan. No reason to try and carry out the more complicated and expensive plans if SitX is going to occur before I get settled and pay off the loans...

posted on Mar, 18 2008 @ 04:46 PM
link   
As far as a good location to grow a garden that no one could see from above, It should be possible to grow one either indoors or perhaps underground. They make lamps for people who choose to grow plants (mainly weed) indoors where no sunlight is. It provides the neccasary light for your plants and no one can see it from above. It sounds like you plan on having a pretty large garden. I dont know how big these lamps come or how many you would need, but its something to consider.

posted on Mar, 20 2008 @ 05:50 AM
link   
reply to post by an3rkist

If possible, I'd swapped your truck for a van or class C RV unless, your bug out locale is well off dirt roads. You'd be surprised how easily some fairly remote spots can be reached via dirt roads during good weather. I know of some places in West Texas that are 30-40 miles from the paved roads that I reached without fuss in my 2wd Ford Ranger. Some has to be looking for you in places like that. The hoards won't travel that far without knowing for sure of some great reward. If your stuck with your truck for economic or personal reasons, I'd buy a small older bumber pull RV trailer of no more than 16' in length. Many can be had for as little as $100. If it's in salvagable condition, you can repair it and live in it. If not the frame and axle(s) can be used to make a sturdy trailer. A gutted one maybe even better as you can customize the interior fairly cheap with scrap lumber.

posted on Mar, 20 2008 @ 02:53 PM
link   
I don't want to disrupt my regular life preparing for something that may not happen. I'm not trying to live off the grid self sufficiently in some perfect location.

My plan is to have the tools and resources available here in my home to reinforce my property in the case of a sitx that allows me to stay here. And in the case of a sitx that requires me to get out, I want to travel light and fast, only what is absolutely needed to take with me. This will include weapons, shelter, survival guides, food, water, and first aid.

If the worst is about to happen (nuclear war), I need to be able to grab a back pack, my dog (leaving behind cats and birds), and get as far from where I live as possible in my very fast car. (Don't forget to bring the wife and her gear!)

If I don't have enough forewarning to get out before roads end up packed, we'll go on dirtbikes (guess I'm leaving the dog behind).

I hope the worst waits until I'm comfortably out of the military and living in a much less dangerous location.

I suggest you be mobile if you need to be. Remember, your set up is going to be attractive not only to 'the enemy' looking for you, but to unprepared citizens and even prepared survivalists. So if someone finds you, hope they're reasonable, but be ready to defend yourself or be ready to leave.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join