It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My [seemingly overly paranoid] plans. Suggestions please...

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 3 2008 @ 12:37 PM
link   
So, I'm not yet in a financial position do this just yet, but I'm hoping in the next two years to have it all sorted out and complete. (Hopefully SitX will wait for me... If not I have smaller, much less suitable but still decent plans to give me some chance of survival.)

Anyway, my plan is to buy a fairly large piece of land here in upstate NY. (I have my reasons for choosing this place.) I'm hoping for somewhere between 30 and 50 acres. (I've priced these and based on how I spend money this should be doable without going into debt for more than a year.) The land will have to be mostly wooded, and have great hunting potential as far as deer and turkeys, (pretty much any acreage in this area will do.) It will also have to have a clearing of some sort with decent soil for growing vegetables. It will also have to have a decent-sized hill in which I will build my home. (Basically a brick cabin built INTO the hill.) The location for the home must be in the west side of the hill, so that the earth behind me will give me at least some protection from a tidal wave caused by that one volcanic island sliding into the ocean. (Just a precautionary measure!)

The home itself will be built into the hill. Nothing extravagant, just a small one room cave basically, though I will make it pretty nice, relatively speaking. If I get everything else done and have money and time to spare before SitX I will buy a solar setup so I can have some electricity, though I've lived without electricity before and it's something I can easily do without, so long as I have a fireplace or woodburning stove in my home.

I will use the clearing, that must get lots of sunlight, to plant a garden with corn, blueberries, raspberries, blackberries, gooseberries, strawberries, grapes, potatoes, sweet potatoes, carrots, onions, peas, string beans, lettuce, spinach, broccoli, cauliflower, pumpkins, watermelon, tomatoes, cucumbers, asparagus, and some other things. (I grew up helping my grandpa tend our garden with all these things in it, so I know a little bit about it.) I also would like to grow wheat for flour, but know nothing about that so I need to do some research into that.

My worry about the garden is that if enemy forces, (foreign or otherwise), are using the skies to search for "dangerous rogue homesteaders" like myself, (who just wanna be left alone, by the way), then my garden will stick out like a sore thumb. I dunno what to do about this, but I plan to have the garden whether a SitX occurs or not, so suggestions for this would be helpful.

I plan to hunt deer, turkeys, pheasants, and rabbit for most of my protein, though I also plan to raise some chickens for eggs, and possibly their meat. I cannot recall if wild boars live in this area, but if they do I may be able to have pork chops or bacon sometimes, too.

I also plan to raise bees to make my own honey. I know nothing about it, but my father did it for awhile so I'm going to get him to help me out with it. If there are Maple trees on my property, I will also tap them and make my own maple syrup. (Though if I do not grow wheat there may not be a whole lot for me to use the syrup on...)

I have recently begun learning to make my own clothes, and will soon be buying a simple sewing machine for this purpose. I know nothing about making fabric though, and don't plan to grow cotton, so I guess I'll have to get my fabric from elsewhere. (This is of little worry to me as far as becoming completely self-sufficient, though.) This is also dependent on whether or not I get solar set up.)

Once all this is set up, which I can do fairly quickly provided I have the small amount of money to do it with and the time to build my home and plant a garden, (the whole point in becoming self-sufficient for me is so that all my time is my own, so I plan on not-having a full time job or anything like that once I can afford to buy the land and supplies), I will begin (or hopefully continue), stocking up on food. My grandma helped teach me how to can and dry food, and also how to freeze it, (this is where I would need a solar setup), so the crops that I harvest and the game I hunt could be preserved for future seasons. I would also stock up on things from the store that I could not obtain myself, (such as salt, sugar, ammo, batteries, flashlights, etc.) Additionally, I would like a fairly large stockpile of fuel for both a generator, (only if I have solar power in the first place will I have a generator, though), and for my truck. Fuel is the last thing I will stock up on, though, as I plan on not using my truck or a generator except when absolutely necessary. It's a very good thing to have if I can afford the money and time for it though. (How long can you store gasoline, by the way?)

If all that is done and I still have time and money to spare, I will put up a large fence, preferably one that doesn't stand out too much from an aerial point of view, and some stables, and buy a couple of horses. Horses would be a luxury I could do without, but would be a great asset for both travel and leisure.

All of this is a long-term plan, which may end up not being carried out in time for SitX. However, I do have more temporary plans to help me survive in the case that I don't get these carried out. I am not doing this all just for the sake of a potential SitX, but it's how I would like to live anyway. I've always, even when I was a kid, wanted to live this way. And the area I've picked is a decent distance from any large city, but relatively close to a fairly small one with gas stations, a bowling alley, etc., so in the event of NO SitX, I'm not totally cut off from civilization or from my friends.

I just want to have my own little slice of land where I can be left the hell alone, you know? And in the event that's considered a threat by some potential invading force or rogue government agency, my home will be like my territory. I will know my land inside and out and I will put up a fight to defend my freedom and my home. After all, I'm going to be doing nothing that will be hurting anybody in anyway. If that's a crime in my own home, then I would rather die fighting for it than allow somebody to tell me I can't live that way. My military training may come in somewhat handy in this situation, but I think in reality one man, no matter how well-trained, doesn't stand a whole lot of chance against even one small squad with superior weaponry. However, they won't be able to say I didn't put up a damn good fight.

As for whether or not I would be willing to abandon the home if need be: since I am alone, this would definitely be an option, and I would have preparations in place for me to do so at the drop of a hat if necessary. But I dunno if running would solve anything. Is a life on the run much of a life at all? It would all depend on the situation I guess.

Comments, questions, or suggestions are highly welcomed...

P.S. I am fully aware of the "risks" of "exposing" my plans, and weighed them with the potential of getting some good ideas and feedback and...well, you see what I chose.

posted on Mar, 3 2008 @ 12:45 PM
link   
i suggest oats, unless you hate them. then all you'd need is to add fruit, vegetables and a protein, for the rest of your meals. you might also want to check out hydroponics. things that can grow in the dark, like edible non-medicinal mushrooms.

posted on Mar, 3 2008 @ 01:14 PM
link   
Quite a plan an3rkist, it is obvious that you put a lot of thought into this. My only comment is the amount of room you would need to process food for self-survival, and your comment about wanted to be unnoticable as possible.
If you plan to eat meat you would need to have a place to hang and butcher, a place to smoke and salt and a secure storage area for it both health reasons and scavengers. The same concept goes for garden produce. You can can, dehydrate and freeze (if you are going to have electric) but these take up storage space. People eat a lot of food even when they are alone.
Best of luck, sounds like a good plan
Skip

posted on Mar, 3 2008 @ 01:25 PM
link   
Gasoline really doesn't store well. However alchohol can be distilled relatively easy. Add a little oil for lubrication and you might do o.k. Also consider doing away with the truck and using a horse or bike instead. If it is truly a bad sit. then you will not want to go anywhere.

respectfully

reluctantpawn

posted on Mar, 3 2008 @ 01:45 PM
link   
You sound like you have a good strategy lined up.
I bet the gasoline could be changed over to biodeisel and be more effective. I'd look into that as a possibility. I wonder if smoking the meats at night would be a better plan to avoid smoke signals. I know that my smoker creates a large amount of smoke in my garage. It is electric and I keep the door shut for as long as I can, then open it up to vent as one big plume. I can do an entire meal in there with only one 'plume'. The only thing with smoking is my whole neighborhood smells of bbq and drives everyone crazy. Indirect cold smoking gives off less in my opinion.

posted on Mar, 3 2008 @ 01:57 PM
link   
I agree smoking over freezing in a heartbeat. You might also try salt curing.

respectfully

reluctantpawn

posted on Mar, 3 2008 @ 02:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by undo
i suggest oats, unless you hate them. then all you'd need is to add fruit, vegetables and a protein, for the rest of your meals. you might also want to check out hydroponics. things that can grow in the dark, like edible non-medicinal mushrooms.

I hadn't even thought of oats! I do love oatmeal. I don't know anything about oats, though. How do you get the oats separated from the plant itself? Is hand-picking them very efficient?

I forgot to mention I will also have a couple of apple trees, plum trees, pear trees, and possibly peach trees.

I'm not a huge mushroom fan, (not for my meals anyway), but for nutritional value they would be smart. I know a thing or two about hydroponics, (though haven't done it myself), and I think it's definitely something I should implement into my plan. Thanks!

Originally posted by starskipper
Quite a plan an3rkist, it is obvious that you put a lot of thought into this. My only comment is the amount of room you would need to process food for self-survival, and your comment about wanted to be unnoticeable as possible.
If you plan to eat meat you would need to have a place to hang and butcher, a place to smoke and salt and a secure storage area for it both health reasons and scavengers. The same concept goes for garden produce. You can can, dehydrate and freeze (if you are going to have electric) but these take up storage space. People eat a lot of food even when they are alone.
Best of luck, sounds like a good plan
Skip

I had considered this, though admittedly I've never done this on a large scale so I don't know the reality of how much space this would take up. I don't think a small building for butchering/hanging and storing meat and one to store my fruits and vegetables would be hard to hide on the kind of land I plan on having. The chicken coop is actually the thing I worry about most. It would take up a little more room and must protect them from predators, while simultaneously being as inconspicuous as possible. Don't know what I'm gonna do for that. Although, I could be underestimating the amount of room for the storing and preparing of the meat and garden produce, also. I'll have to do a little more research. Thanks for your input! This is why I posted this thread.

Originally posted by reluctantpawn
Gasoline really doesn't store well. However alchohol can be distilled relatively easy. Add a little oil for lubrication and you might do o.k. Also consider doing away with the truck and using a horse or bike instead. If it is truly a bad sit. then you will not want to go anywhere.

I have considered doing away with my truck, but that will be a last resort. Horses are on my to-do list if I can afford them and get them in time, but I also need to make sure I can take care of myself with all the work for the garden, etc. before I take on a large animal with large needs like horses. I've spent some time with horses, but never actually owned them myself or even taken care of them. I think they would be a more valuable asset than my truck, but my truck is a luxury I would prefer to have for as long as SitX doesn't occur. If and when it does my truck will be the most expendable thing I have. (It may be of great bartering value, too, unless gas becomes so rare that nobody drives.)

Originally posted by shadow watcher
You sound like you have a good strategy lined up.
I bet the gasoline could be changed over to biodeisel and be more effective. I'd look into that as a possibility. I wonder if smoking the meats at night would be a better plan to avoid smoke signals. I know that my smoker creates a large amount of smoke in my garage. It is electric and I keep the door shut for as long as I can, then open it up to vent as one big plume. I can do an entire meal in there with only one 'plume'. The only thing with smoking is my whole neighborhood smells of bbq and drives everyone crazy. Indirect cold smoking gives off less in my opinion.

I don't have a diesel truck, otherwise I would be using biodiesel as we speak. I don't plan on using my truck very much in the event of SitX; I only have it for pre-SitX uses. I think gas will be a hard-to-obtain commodity in a real SitX. It would be nice to have the truck during SitX, but if gas doesn't store well it's not something I'm worried about.

Definitely like the idea of smoking at night as opposed to during the day. (Only if SitX requires me to do so, though. I'm hoping I don't actually have to be hiding out and I can just live out there peacefully without being bothered. Good strategy if things don't go as hoped, though!)

posted on Mar, 3 2008 @ 09:24 PM
link   
well i'm not familar with growing oats, and there are many kinds.
some may be easier to harvest than others. like some are called
naked, which it says you can pull the heads off of like wheat.
i guess it would take some research.

i compiled a survival kit idea a few years ago. lemme see if
i can find it.

oh, i also did research on the safest place to live in the usa, in
the event of any one of several major disasters:

it's the north eastern corner of nevada, down about 40 miles from the border to idaho, and about 60 miles west of the border to utah. there's a mountain hiking trail
that goes threw the area, spanning from south nevada, to california, and alot of ghost towns. the mountain ranges along the trail have lots of cave sites.
cold area though. but it's more verdant than further south.

the following scenarios were alleviated by this location:

1 nuclear fallout would blow eastward, leaving only nuke sites to the west, which are virtually non-existent all the way to the sea in the jet stream flow.
2 no fault zones in the area.
3 in the event of san andreas scenario, the elevation of the area would make it the new coastline
4 population low and real estate cheap. last i looked, you could buy a 4 bedroom farm house with barn, pasture and corral for 55,000. lol that was a few years ago, however
5 flood virtually non-existent with the exception of spring snow melt, which is usually alleviated by a run off ditch, anyway.

anyway, i'll go look for the survival list and get back with ya

[edit on 3-3-2008 by undo]

posted on Mar, 4 2008 @ 02:15 AM
link   
1. a huge, vacuum resealable container filled to the brim with slow-cooking (5 minute) oats. (think barrel-sized container)
2. a small portable shovel and a chest with a hole in the bottom that can double as a refrigerator and pantry (dig a tunnel down into the ground inside it to funnel underground, cool air upwards into the chest. if necessary, dig the hole wider and inset the chest into the ground)
3. a huge tarpalin that not only has camoflage specific for terrain type, but has a layer of radar-reflective material (and/or infra-red reflective) that makes it stealthy.
4. a bicycle-powered generator and a bicycle.
5. hand-cranked radio with cb band and a decently sized collapsible cb antenna. hand book for the terminology and functions of cb radio. different location than where your shelter is, to use it.
6. a big water pitcher. this is for the purposes of sterilizing water. fill with water, let sit for an hour in your make shift refrigerator chest. scoop top layer of water off for drinking purposes, most sediment will have precipitated to the lower areas of the pitcher. pour excess back into your water reserves. rinse, wash, repeate'. if water is rain water or from local stream/lake/well, you will want to boil it first then let it sit for 1 hour before scooping top layer off for drinking/cooking purposes. if fallout is an issue, don't bathe in water that may be contaminated. instead, use the scoop method already explained and take a sponge bath with it (no immersion)
7. electronic devices that can be run off the bicycle-powered generator, such as a led light source, something that can play music, a hot plate, a small, rotating fan and a small electric space heater. sometimes cooking outside could be bad or impossible. books on how to repair these devices with stuff around the house, and then add those things to your survival kit
8. duct tape (lots of this)
9. black plastic garbage bags, 40 gallon or larger
10. whiskey (use only for medicinal purposes)
11. first aid kit with additions
- echinacea (unless you're allergic to daises and/or cone flowers. also you can't take it if you have an auto immune disease) for antibiotic and anti-viral purposes.
- aspirin or ibuprofen (if not allergic) but don't take both of them at the same time, as they don't mix. this is for pain and inflammation. you can mix tyelnol with ibuprofen in the same day but they should be taken separately. i believe the dosage is, up to 800mg of ibuprofen and up to 1000mg of tylenol every 6 hours for severe pain, but just the normal ibuprofen or aspirin dosage for normal pain. tylenol is rather bad for you. (it's other name is acetaminophen), so avoid it unless you have severe pain.
- multivitamin
- acidophilus (probiotic) this is essential as it solves most digestive problems including diahrrea and stomach flu symptoms that won't go away
- cayenne pepper (anti-inflammatory and added to lotion acts as a muscle rub or to hot water for sore throats)
- big bottle of generic, unscented lotion
- pea-sized organic sea salt (for curing dehydration and to feed adrenals)
- baking soda for all kinds of ills. (balances pH, freshens body odors, etc. keep this in a resealable container or it will pick up local odors. .it's an odor absorber, so it can be used to freshen bedding, shoes, air in the shelter)
- eye dropper for administering salt water snuffling
- milk thistle to keep liver (your body's filtration system) from becoming
overloaded with toxins
- hot water bottle that doubles as a douche/enema bag (it's a big red thing with a long white hose that has a clip on the hose). can be used for sprains, headaches, lower digestive problems, chest colds, and the hose with clamp can be used for syphoning purposes
- sunscreen (best is zinc oxide because it is non-toxic and can double for rash therapy)
- organic coconut oil (good for lots of reasons, even for dandruff, greasing gears, skin moisturizer, etc)
- hydrogen peroxide
- q-tips
- burt's beeswax lip balm for cold sores and chapped lips (this stuff is amazing)
- magnifying glass (for lots of things, even for starting paper fires by focusing sun's rays on paper)
12. rope that can double as clothesline
13. lighters (not matches). not disposable. get the refillable kind and the flints/fuel to refill it. you get what you pay for and disposable lighters are junk. don't get electronic spark as these run out of umph fairly quickly
14. big bottle of reconstituted lemon juice for its antibacterial properties, can be added to water.
15. honey (not only for sweetening and eating but also for treating wounds that won't heal)
16. dehydrated foods in large bags/boxes
- coconut flakes
- blueberries
- jerky
- powdered milk
17. washboard and bucket.
18. reading material, especially books on edible plants in your state
19. paper and pencils/pens
20. big box of tea bags.
21. clothes for all seasons and weather. more than one pair/type of footware. socks mandatory as they can double as gloves and oven mitts, if necessary.
22. music
23. scissors
24. swiss armor knife
25. dr. bronner's soap in large gallon jugs (concentrated, can even be used to brush your teeth)
26. toothbrush and floss
27. toilet paper
28. screwdriver set (very small to large nibs or varying kinds)
29. hammer
30. comb
31. silverware, stainless, drop forged in one piece so that bacteria can't collect in the meld between handle and implement
32. plastic dishes
33. cast iron pan and pot
34. scrubbie
35. loofa
36. packages of seeds
37. water, lots of water
38. surgical masks in box for various purposes, including avoiding contaminants or allergens in the air.
39. a location to live in that is NOT in the jet stream of nuclear fallout scenarios or germ warfare distribution in the jet stream. (et.al, forget montana and colorado or anything east of of those locations in the jet stream)
40. a location to live in that is far enough above sea level and far enough inland to avoid flood scenarios
41. a location to live in that is away from earthquake fault zones and volcanoes (et.al, forget wyoming or anything in the jet stream east of wyoming and skip california entirely)
42. compressed air in a can
43. a gas mask
44. if you can afford it, a bio-chem warfare protective suit
45. one medium-sized attack dog. not only for protection but for companionship. a dog leash. dogs, don't leave home without 'em.

46. dry dog food, big container. dogs can eat almost anything,
especially if you get a breed that's more omnivorous. like our terrier
(too small for your purposes), will eat fruit, veggies and even candy.
47. at least 2 sleeping bags (so you can have a change of bedding)
48. 2 waterproof pillows
49. 40 mule team Borax (kills bugs and their eggs, so use occassionally in bedding and around shelter. in bedding, 1 hour and shake out the powder outside)
50. Rubber gloves and work gloves

everything else is what you can manage to grow, such as hydroponic gardens , etc.

the idea with the list is to keep yourself healthy, thusly why there are so many alternative medicine concepts. if you get sick, your options will dwindle proportionately.

[edit on 4-3-2008 by undo]

posted on Mar, 4 2008 @ 02:46 AM
link   
Hemp is great for all kinds of things, they say.... Creates clothing, ropes, and lots of other things I cannot remember and too lazy to look up. Great planning, and all the suggestions are great too.

posted on Mar, 4 2008 @ 10:27 PM
link   
Assuming that you're serious - here's my opinion. an3rkist would have done well to start his plan 5 - 10 yrs ago. I live the lifestyle he aspires to and it's not a survival lifestyle; it's a self-reliant lifestyle and requires a lot of hard work and a steady job with good pay. Feeding animals is very expensive & they don't graze during the winter in upstate NY. The effort needed at this late date is putting survival skills in your head & not in a "homestead". May I suggest that you start studying Countryside magazine to get some knowledge of skills needed to work with nature; J.D.Belanger is the expert on surviving disaster situations (he's retired) so look up issues pre-y2k. He did an excellent job of informing us of what would be needed to "get by". Forget the house & chicken coop - long gone. Forget the truck - use your feet. Forget the garden - learn foraging. Get a really good knife & learn how to use it. If you can't carry it at a run, it will get you killed. "They" know where to find you if they want you; tax records, community records, etc. Excuse me if I'm drop dead serious about this - I've been following it for 45 yrs. & this is way too scary to be glib. This used to be a wacky idea that the hippies were blamed for (the "man"). It's real & it's in our face; what's happening today is what Eisenhower warned us about 55 yrs. ago. Nobody believed him or understood what he was saying. Study the history of successful occupations and how the targeted people survived (most hid while on the run); check out the resistance movements in the 1940's Europe (France was very effective). You would do well to study H.G.Wells works - he was one of them and his work covertly describes the plans for our future. Oh, and stay happy - this is a challenge to preserve the American ideals - they'll be needed when this nightmare is over. It looks to me that what with the economy about to implode, the skull & bones people (read up on the Committee of 300) running the world and the mideast gone amuk (the key to the whole thing for 4000 yrs) that this party is about to begin. Bring It On!

posted on Mar, 4 2008 @ 10:29 PM
link   
Hi, There is another thread on here somewhere where someone was asking about planting a survival garden out on state or public land in the woods. Anyway - the general idea is that instead of having a cleared garden plot area that you should plant edible native species in scattered areas of the woods in and around natural clearing areas. Small garden spots here and there. Also by planting native species they won't be noticeable even if someone walked through. Even berry bushes are native and tuber veggies like potato and carrot won't be noticed unless someone knows what they are. You can also check out the Mother Earth News website and search an article they ran on "Forest Gardening".
Since this would be on your place you would be expected to have a garden growing, but you could also have a great hideout stash of food growing everywhere else that would probably be overlooked.

Earthmama4

posted on Mar, 5 2008 @ 08:31 AM
link   
great planning
but my survival plan is much more city oriented

i would probably stay around my city looking for survivors and raiding empty or abandoned houses and maybe stores. this is why I'm trying to learn as much as i can about lock picking and stuff also i need to be in much better shape. and assuming there more survivors that are selfish and get things only for them selves i will need some kind of gun and lots of ammo since i will be competing for resources dogs are great idea but i will need to convince my dad to get me one but i have no idea which kind to get.as for my shelter it will either be like a under ground cave i guess with many exits so they cant cornner us and when i say us i assume that i have found survivors. my family might be a problem my dad is 45 right now so it will be hard for him to keep up my bro is 4 years younger than me and will need to grow up alot im not sure about my mom though....

how old do you have to be to have gun???

when do you guys think this is going to blow over? my due date is dec 21 2012 i will be 17 by then. being under age puts a huge dent in my plan

posted on Mar, 5 2008 @ 10:08 AM
link   
reply to post by undo

Wow, lots pf incredible information. Thanks a lot!

Originally posted by nanachris
Assuming that you're serious - here's my opinion. an3rkist would have done well to start his plan 5 - 10 yrs ago.

Ten years ago I was barely hitting puberty! Unfortunately I had other things on my mind as opposed to planning these things.
chupacabraboy is a huge step ahead of me. Kudos to him. I wasn't that smart.

How long do you think I have? I mean, you really don't think I have two years? Because I think I can get the land and get settled and be debt free and all that within two years. I think you might be right though, and I'm really not sure what to do about it...

reply to post by chupacabraboy

Unless you get your father to buy a gun for you, you won't be able to get one legally in time, (by your timeline goal, anyway). If the shyte hits the fan you may be able to loot a pawn shop or something, but those will probably be the first places hit. If you're really worried about it you might consider just making some friends with people who have guns, people who will share them with you in a SitX situation. Perhaps look for a militia in your area, though I don't think they'll actually let you join until you're eighteen. I think you're right that your age is going to get into the way if it happens sooner rather than later, but only if you don't network or don't have family/friends with your same concerns.

I'm fortunate enough to be old enough to buy/carry guns, but I'm still more than young enough to be able to be physically ready for anything. Perhaps my military background will come in handy some day, though I hope it doesn't come to that.

I don't know where you're going to find an underground cave, especially in a city. But if you find one be aware that you probably won't be the only one who seeks shelter there, and not everyone will want to join in your crusade.

[edit on 5/3/08 by an3rkist]

posted on Mar, 5 2008 @ 10:52 AM
link   
All is not lost should the SHTF prior to getting all your preps in place. As suggested, learn basic survival skills like how to build a shelter, procure and purify water, build a fire, land navigation, and first aid. If things do go to H_ll, you'll still be light years ahead of most people.

A gun would be nice in Sitx, but you can also learn how to make field expedient (improvised) weapons like clubs, spears, crossbows, bolas, slingshots, etc. Take a first aid course at the YMCA or Red Cross, assemble a medical kit, start using what resources you have to purchase food items, water, vitamins, etc.. Every little bit will help improve your odds of surviving.

Go to the library and borrow a book on edible plant identification, learn a new skill from a friend or relative like how to repair engines, weld, sew, garden, or whatever interests you. Most people are happy to discuss their work or hobbies with you and share their knowedge. They feel good about themselves, and you learn a valuable skill. Old people are a great source of knowledge that few ever bother to harness.

All these things do not require a lot of money, nor do you have to be over 18 to do them. Don't fret over whay you don't have, focus on what you do. Your brain is your greatest asset in a survival situation.

[edit on 3/5/08 by LLoyd45]

posted on Mar, 5 2008 @ 08:59 PM
link   
oh i didnt mean find a cave i would dig one or i would stay mobile all the time probly sleeping in abandoned buildings, which is big part of why i want to pick locks, not just break the door down so as to keep the house as secure as possible mabey i could find a gun in some vacated biulding, i mean alot of people these days have guns some where in their house..

i do have some friends that i have told about this and i have one friend that is two years older than me but i m not sure i will be able to find him if/when this happens because we dont keep in touch much any more oh well i'll find a way

posted on Mar, 5 2008 @ 10:22 PM
link   
reply to post by undo

I enjoyed your response undo. I too studied which place would be the idea survival location. I concluded Tennessee (not the far western part) would be ideal. It had all the characteristics that you considered, aside from a slightly greater chance for fallout (depending on what maps you considered.) Plus its seasons aren't as harsh as the area you chose.

posted on Mar, 5 2008 @ 10:33 PM
link   
an3rkist,

aside from your housing plans, I have been planning something almost identical for 8 years now. My location was Tennessee however. I believe like nanachris said, if they want to find you, they can so trying to hide the whole operation isn't too necessary. You might be better just increasing your areas of self-sufficiency but having hidden areas or hidden escape routes incorporated.

If you live in a rural area, chances are, if you try to stay to yourself then the government wont come for you (at least not right away), your only concern would be other rural folks who know about your place and who weren't prepared themselves. They can easily be taken care of.

If you are able to, you might consider sheep or alpacas, something to provide wool if you really want to get into the making your own clothes thing. It might be cheaper though to just buy a bunch of general bolts of fabrics.

You seem to be planning mostly for a SitX that involves a martial law/nwo event. Have you considered a situation where you were forced to live indoors/underground for 1-12 months? Probably a less likely event, but probably a worst case scenario you should consider.

posted on Mar, 9 2008 @ 09:22 PM
link   
people keep talking about amrital law but im not exactly sure what it is can some one explain?

posted on Mar, 9 2008 @ 09:28 PM
link   
reply to post by an3rkist

That doesn't sound paranoid at all. You want to protect yourself and live sustainably. There doesn't have to be a 'sitx' either. I want to live in more or less a similar way, although travel is definitely a large part of my lifestyle so I couldn't cut that out completely.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join