It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What do you make of this - Internet Marriage

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 3 2008 @ 12:26 PM
link   
I don't usually post topics, but I tried to find one that covered this, but came up with nothing. Could technology be bringing about new things and removing old barries because of how loose and free the internet and technology itself is? A friend forwarded me the site a few days ago, in which I tried to find information or not if it was fake. So far I have found nothing and hope someone else will be able to come up with something.

Although I will say people have used the service in the past and present, and some planned to use it in the future. Some will ask for my source and really it's from a site (Don't think I'm allowed to list it) where kids from age 13 to adults of age 60+ can join. I Also found the site url in there and was under a group of relationships. I don't really care who uses it or if its "ethical" or not. Rather I just want to hear what others have to say about it is all.
I find the site to be rather "Cute" but others might see it as a devious device.

Please give your thoughts on it.
www.irom.org...

The certificates issued by iROM is only recognised within our ring of participating partners. It is not recognised by law.

Just so people don't see it as a super bad thing.

posted on Mar, 5 2008 @ 09:51 AM
link   
Hmmm, I suppose its a funny little gimmick that people would enjoy. Especially the high school crowd where everything new is trendy.

As for the ethical issue, as long as people are not and do not have any way of meeting on it or finding personal information about someone from it, it should be ok even though the age limits are set pretty young. If my friends teenage daughter new of this site im sure her and her little boyfriend would think it is very cute and want to do it too. The problem is when do the people draw the line between fantasy/fun and reality. I could imagine some of the younger people might take it a little too far and believe its a real marriage even though the site states that its not a legal one.

If this were a dating kind of site where you look for or get matched with people to actually date, then I would say that the red flags would go off with the 13 to 60 age limits. Too easy for child predators to do harm.

On a side topic, I think the internet is becoming less taboo for meeting/dating someone. 10 years ago, if someone said they met someone online and are getting married, they would have been ostracized and made fun of, people would automatically think something was wrong with you (at least here in Canada). Now internet dating is more common than actually meeting someone as per the norms (shopping, bar, club, etc.) What worries me is that if that is the way things are going, people will probably become too reliant on the net for social stimulus and will forget how to properly socialize in a personal setting.

thats my two cents.
now I have to read what I posted to see if it makes sense as I usually do not.

posted on Mar, 5 2008 @ 09:55 AM
link   
Oh people have been getting cyber married for years now

If it is not binding by law so it is not a real marriage. It is something to have fun with.
I agree with QBSneak that it is becoming more acceptable to date/meet partners online in this day and age. I met my husband initially online but only became romantically involved after we had met in person ... and there's nothing wrong with that
... well when the people have some sense that is haha.

But why shouldn't the next step be online marriage ? We have drive thru's in Vegas now don't we ?

[edit on 5-3-2008 by ImJaded]

posted on Mar, 5 2008 @ 10:03 AM
link   
I met my wife online as well, and we couldn't be happier. Its funny too because all of the people I dated in the past by the norms of meeting through friends, bars etc, all those in comparison really really sucked

Yeah, I wouldn't doubt if real marriage inline will happen one day but it will still have to be recognized by the law (in Canada at least). You can already apply for a marriage licence online here but you still need to have justice of the peace sign it and do all the proper paperwork with the BC government.

Ah drive through weddings.........with a side of fries and frosty

posted on Mar, 5 2008 @ 10:11 AM
link   
I should take a swing through vegas, just how much do they charge and do I get a meal with it to?

I'm starting to wonder if the internet is changing the way we date now, seeing as a people are meeting either there significant others online or just friends/penpals. It's interesting to here how both of you have met someone online, starting to wonder if I should jump in and give meeting someone online a try

posted on Mar, 9 2008 @ 05:49 AM
link   
This is like mail order brides.
You can order a 'wife' from abroad, pay for her and marry her.

new topics

top topics

join