It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Could the oceans be used to help thwart global warming?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 3 2008 @ 12:10 PM
link   
Could the oceans be used to help thwart global warming?

Here's an interesting topic I stumbled across. It basically states that water treatment plants could be used to allow the oceans to "slurp" up carbon dioxide deposits in the atmosphere. This would in turn keep the temperature of the planet from rising.

In the new study, Kurt Zenz House and colleagues propose building hundreds of special water treatment facilities worldwide that would remove hydrochloric acid from the ocean by electrolysis and neutralize the acid through reactions with silicate minerals or rocks. The reaction increases the alkalinity of the ocean and its ability to absorb carbon dioxide from the atmosphere.

Here's another article on the subject.

The article states that it's possible this process could also help save coral reefs from the lower acidity.

This is interesting stuff. BUT- It costs money, so who will pay for it???

2PacSade-

posted on Mar, 3 2008 @ 12:23 PM
link   
I can't understand why one good mechanical engineer cannot produce a wave or tidal device to generate electricity. Water with its mass is exponentially more promising than wind turbines.

posted on Mar, 3 2008 @ 12:25 PM
link   
reply to post by jpm1602

Tidal electricity's being worked on extensively in Europe. The key problem is that salt water's highly corrosive to the machinery.

posted on Mar, 3 2008 @ 12:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by jpm1602
I can't understand why one good mechanical engineer cannot produce a wave or tidal device to generate electricity. Water with its mass is exponentially more promising than wind turbines.

I agree. Much more potential energy. I'm sure someday that will happen if we don't blow ourselves up beforhand. That doesn't really have anything to do with what they're proposing with this device though.

2PacSade-

posted on Mar, 3 2008 @ 12:28 PM
link   
Ah, hadn't thought of that Jubuwal. Makes perfect sense though. Perhaps carbon nano tech might clear up those issues.

[edit on 3-3-2008 by jpm1602]

posted on Mar, 3 2008 @ 12:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by jubuwal
reply to post by jpm1602

Tidal electricity's being worked on extensively in Europe. The key problem is that salt water's highly corrosive to the machinery.

Here's an article about it, but again, it doesn't have anything to do with the devices described in this thread.

I guess it does have to do with global warming though, so it's still indirectly on topic.

2PacSade-

posted on Mar, 3 2008 @ 12:36 PM
link   
2pac, I am sorry you feel my response is off thread. The thread read can the ocean help us reverse global warming.
Any power generation that gets us off the oil nipple would go along way towards reducing global warming.
In my humble opinion.

posted on Mar, 3 2008 @ 12:56 PM
link   
I wonder if we could introduce some gas above the carbon and draw it out into space.

What do you think/know?

posted on Mar, 4 2008 @ 07:34 AM
link   

2pac, I am sorry you feel my response is off thread. The thread read can the ocean help us reverse global warming.
Any power generation that gets us off the oil nipple would go along way towards reducing global warming.
In my humble opinion.

No I wasn't scolding you. I agree that it was on topic with respect to global warming. I was just stating that the article I ran across was about using water treatment plants to change the PH value of the water to make it more suitable to consuming CO2. That's all.

I appreciate your input jpm. They are valid points worth discussing.

2PacSade-

posted on Mar, 4 2008 @ 02:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by 2PacSade

The article states that it's possible this process could also help save coral reefs from the lower acidity.

just fyi, it's been found that sunblocker is the leading cause of coral death:

www.abovetopsecret.com...&colorshift=yes

i also wonder if toying around with the oceans would be a wise idea, i severely doubt that people actually know how the ramifications.

just search the web for "cane toad" and australia. does the term unintended consequences mean anything to you?

posted on Mar, 4 2008 @ 02:33 PM
link   
reply to post by jpm1602

I remember reading an article a few months back in Wired I think about working tidal generators. The big obstacle at the time was the hippies crying about the fish just like right now the hippies are all upset windfarms might force some birds to fly around.

MBF

posted on Mar, 4 2008 @ 10:56 PM
link   

I've got one. I just need somebody that can foot the bill for getting it started.

top topics

join