It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US Military attacks target in Somalia

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 3 2008 @ 11:41 AM
link   

March 3 (Bloomberg) -- The U.S. military attacked a known al-Qaeda leader in Somalia, a Defense Department spokesman said today.

The spokesman, Bryan Whitman, declined to give details, including who was the target, whether the individual was killed and what weapons were used.

``On March 2, the U.S. conducted an attack against a known al-Qaeda terrorist in southern Somalia,'' Whitman said.

The Associated Press, reporting from Somalia's capital, Mogadishu, said three missiles hit Dobley, a town four miles from the Kenyan border. The remnants of an Islamic force that once ruled much of southern Somalia took over the town last week, the AP said. The U.S. attack destroyed a home and injured eight people, the AP said, citing police and witnesses.

Whitman, speaking to reporters at the Pentagon, said the attack was in line with U.S. policy ``to pursue terrorist activities and their operations wherever we may find them.

``We do work closely with our partners in the region in the conduct of our military operations,'' he said.

Source

Hopefully they killed the target and no innocent people died. I wonder which Al Qaeda member they tried to assassinate.

[edit on 3-3-2008 by Mdv2]

posted on Mar, 3 2008 @ 11:55 AM
link   
reply to post by Mdv2

Although Mogadishu is in the southern half of Somalia, the target that was hit is further south nowhere near the capital.

It was only about 4 miles from the Kenyan border.

Research is key, young padowan.

Edit: Incidentally, Somalia has a history of harboring and even sympathy towards Al-Qaeda and their cause. Sending in a few Tomahawks to clean house is old hat to us...

[edit on 3/3/08 by cbianchi513]

[edit on 3/3/08 by cbianchi513]

posted on Mar, 3 2008 @ 12:22 PM
link   
Quite silly of me, yes. Corrected

posted on Mar, 3 2008 @ 12:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mdv2

Hopefully they killed the target and no innocent people died. I wonder which Al Qaeda member they tried to assassinate.

[edit on 3-3-2008 by Mdv2]

If this is the same news as the other thread, they killed two women and two children.

Easy job. No need to go in themselves, just bomb away, easy, oh wait they killed civillians? oh who cares, they can get away with anything.

Edit: sorry, it was three women and three children dead and many injured.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

[edit on 3-3-2008 by _Phoenix_]

posted on Mar, 3 2008 @ 12:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by _Phoenix_
Easy job. No need to go in themselves, just bomb away, easy, oh wait they killed civillians? oh who cares, they can get away with anything.

Edit: sorry, it was three women and three children dead and many injured.

I think the leaders should be first to step foot on the battlefield, it kept them much more honest in the old days. When the King decided to go to battle, he believed in the cause.
This "Playstation style" warfare they have now is not good.

posted on Mar, 3 2008 @ 10:17 PM
link   
To be perfectly honest.

My first thought on reading the thread title

"they must of struck oil"

CT

posted on Mar, 3 2008 @ 11:29 PM
link   
I take offense at most of the USA's actions in the War on Terror, but these continued airstrikes on villages are the height of irony for me.

Do they honestly expect anything positive to come out of launching missiles or bombs on a population of human beings and expect collateral damage to not exist or political blowback to not occur? I know they don't care if it does or not, but it seems like this type of thing is only going to perpetuate any real or imagined problems the USA claims to have.

If the USA really wants to end terrorism, they should stop engaging in it.

[edit on 3-3-2008 by Frith]

new topics

top topics

join