It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Saudi Arabia to build Typhoon

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 3 2008 @ 09:45 AM
link   
www.flightglobal.com...

Plans for in-country assembly of 48 of the Royal Saudi Air Force's 72 Eurofighter Typhoons could be finalised within the next two months, with an industry official warning that time is running out to establish a new line and deliver the first locally completed aircraft as planned in 2011.

now thats why they bought them - 72 will not be the only ones they make with there own assembly line in situ.

posted on Mar, 3 2008 @ 09:56 AM
link   
They will only assemble a limited number in Saudi Arabia and the aircraft will be shipped over in kit form for final assembly on Saudi soil, after which the assembly line will be dismantled. This is nothing more than an expensive sop to "prove" that Saudi industry is amongst the best in the world and not mired in a world of tribal politics and oil-driven laziness. The Saudis are only buying these aircraft as expensive trophies to wave in the face of Iran.

posted on Mar, 3 2008 @ 10:12 AM
link   
48 out of 72 is not a limited number - and 72 is to replace the Tonka`s , and will be the best aircraft they have .

posted on Mar, 3 2008 @ 10:26 AM
link   
reply to post by Harlequin

Not quite sure what you are getting at, but they will build no more than 48 in Saudi Arabia, after which the assembly line will be dismantled. The assembly line will be run by BAE Systems, not the Saudi government. They will not be able to produce more jets willy nilly. Hence why 48 is a limited numner.

My point about them being trophies is that whilst they will be the most capable aircraft in the Saudi inventory, they are highly unlikely to ever see action and, if the RSAF's track record is anything to go by, will never be used to their full potential.

posted on Mar, 3 2008 @ 11:06 AM
link   
Yes the Saudi assembly line was always part of the deal from the beginning and while Naboo is right about it only being for 48 aircraft, there is always the carrot dangling that if they buy any more they can assemble those as well. That may prove to be a better bet than increasing their F-15 fleet which is something else the Saudi's are looking at (though with the Tornado MLU and the Typhoon I can't imagine why?)

posted on Mar, 4 2008 @ 06:50 PM
link   
I'm sorry I'm to lazy/busy to google this, but have the Sauds ever had a completely indigenous fighter program? Like the Sagaeh/Shafaq for Iran or the Lavi/Kfir for Israel? I would assume that with the budding a/c industries in the region, the Saudis would owe it to thermselves to invest in an indigenous capability? Or are they just like someone said here: people with too much money to buy whatever they want w/o a care in the world for self-sufficiency.

posted on Mar, 5 2008 @ 04:35 AM
link   
The Saudis have never had an indigenous fughter, relying instead on the UK (Lightning, Tornado, Typhhon) and US Foreign Military sales. They have enough oil to buy whatever they want and insufficient expertise to develop their own. No-one in their right mind would attack Saudi Arabia and their foreign policy is relatively non-interventionist so all they need/want is a new shiny aircraft to show off with.

[edit on 5/3/08 by Naboo the Enigma]

posted on Mar, 5 2008 @ 04:58 AM
link   
They also have IRBM capability as well - purchased outright in its own very well defended base.

new topics

top topics

join