It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Better schoolin' for kids. Catholic school.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 3 2008 @ 05:26 AM
link   
I wanted to bring up private schools. but specifically, catholic schools. It's a good idea to put your kids in those schools. I have no kids, but when I do, I don't want them to attend public schools. In catholic school, you wear uniforms.
This helps build up similarity and makes it easier for the child to make friends. It also gives the child a better understanding of god. But ultimately, they get the best education out there. From the motherhoods.

I went to catholic school. And It was a great experience. You learn to read the bible in such ways no other school can. don't you want your child to read the bible? sure you do. then, after catholic school your child will be very succesful. I can tell you that it works. Discipline works wonders. The child will respect you and treat you like a parent. Unlike what you see in public schools.

Ultimately, of course it's up to you. I'm just saying, think about it and if you can look it up. it would do wonders for your kids.

jedimiller.

posted on Mar, 3 2008 @ 05:40 AM
link   
No i really wouldn't want any child of mine reading the bible if it were held up to them as the truth. brainwashing should be banned, IMO.

all children who attend catholic schools are successful? well, i never.

posted on Mar, 3 2008 @ 05:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by Floh
No i really wouldn't want any child of mine reading the bible if it were held up to them as the truth. brainwashing should be banned, IMO.

Who said anything about Brainwashing? it's about the quality of education. Not about brainwashing anyone. Your kid is already going to read the bible one way or another in his life, why not start him up right and early? it's not brainwashing when you get a better education on ALL subjects. I tell you what! it's alot better than any public school.

posted on Mar, 3 2008 @ 06:00 AM
link   
reply to post by jedimiller

Your kid is already going to read the bible one way or another in his life

Are you sure about that? Looking at how things are going i don't think future kids will be very keen on reading 'the bible'.

I tell you what! it's alot better than any public school.

Public schools are fun.You get to meet all types of people from different backgrounds.
Private catholic schools are kinda forcing the kids to follow certain Codes without any choice.

[edit on 3-3-2008 by Attari]

posted on Mar, 3 2008 @ 06:05 AM
link   
Not 'kinda forcing' at all, IMO. simply forcing. leaving them hampered for choice and always having to reckon with 'the lord' when making decisions.

it is brainwashing, IMO.

posted on Mar, 3 2008 @ 06:16 AM
link   
Well, let me give you guys an example. My nephew is a punk. he's only 14 and he's already been to Juvi, court and caught with drugs in his backpack. he's rude, obnoxious and treats his mother like garbage. Why did this happen to him you might ask? well, it's the school he was going to. Bunch of gangs and big guys trying to prove a point. these thugs get away with bullyin' other kids and the teachers just don't care. If my sister was smart enough, she would have send him to a private CS. And the outcome would have been the opposite.

posted on Mar, 3 2008 @ 06:24 AM
link   
Here's something to consider .. adam was given the choice of the tree of knowledge or ever lasting life.to have knowledge u learn(schooling) to be one with god u should not learn anything but how to survive. IMO
But i guess everone interpets the bible differently.

posted on Mar, 3 2008 @ 06:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by jedimiller
If my sister was smart enough, she would have send him to a private CS. And the outcome would have been the opposite.

Tying his hands won't mean he will not go crazy once you untie them.

Its the mothers fault in first place for her kid to act like a maniac.If she disciplined him properly it would't have mattered which school he went to.

Lets suppose private catholic schools are better.What makes you think the kid will stay the same once he leaves school and goes to college etc..?

posted on Mar, 3 2008 @ 06:46 AM
link   
Even if the actual education is better, I will not send my boys to a Catholic school. Why? I don't believe in forcing religion on them, that should be their choice when they're old enough to know the difference between the different religions. I want them to grow up open-minded and tolerant of other faiths and not convinced that everyone who doesn't think like them is going to be sent to hell. I want them to grow up knowing that it's ok to be their own person and that they don't have to look or dress like everyone else to belong. I want them to be able to think for themselves and not expect all of life's answers to come out of a book that may or may not be complete fiction. (Notice I said may or may not. I'm not saying it is complete fiction, but that is just as possible as it being completely true. Trying to prevent getting jumped on for that comment but there is no better way to put it that I can think of right now.)

posted on Mar, 3 2008 @ 06:52 AM
link   
Catholic Schools were pretty good to be honest.
I went to a catholic school and high school, I would have to say the high school was the best so far
. First place I was actually given the choice in school, where even in my freshman year a religious teacher told me the plagues could all be explained by one starting event. I thought that was pretty interesting.

In my senior year even though it was still theology class we studied various religions instead of just the one. So some catholic schools are great In my opinion, its just that some are above and beyond.

posted on Mar, 3 2008 @ 08:28 AM
link   
Private schools are second only to homeschooling. What really pisses me off is when people go on attacking private schools by dragging out all this religion crap. Not all private schools are affiliated with religion. I repeat: Not all private schools are affiliated with religion.

Got that?

I love whoever said "public schools are fun you meet interesting people."

Yup. Real interesting. If it wasn't for public school I wouldn't have had such easy access to drugs, sex and weapons growing up. And nothing beats making friends with a bunch of kids from the ghetto. How else would I have learned to steal, fight and sell drugs?

The "melting pot" "meet new people" crap is all fine and dandy but crap rarely rolls uphill if you catch my drift. The lowest common denominator is what public schools cater to.

posted on Mar, 3 2008 @ 05:11 PM
link   

I wanted to bring up private schools. but specifically, catholic schools. It's a good idea to put your kids in those schools. I have no kids, but when I do, I don't want them to attend public schools. In catholic school, you wear uniforms.

common myth, not all catholic schools require uniforms, many only require a dress code and some don't have anything

This helps build up similarity and makes it easier for the child to make friends.

it also stifles creativity and individual expression
but that's ok, let's let the kid be a happy, social sheep

It also gives the child a better understanding of god.

huh?
seriously, i don't even understand that part.

But ultimately, they get the best education out there. From the motherhoods.

actually, i think the jesuits are the ones that offer the best education around.

I went to catholic school. And It was a great experience. You learn to read the bible in such ways no other school can.

yeah, mainly it's that whole "constitutional law" thing that prevents brainwashing.

don't you want your child to read the bible? sure you do.

do i want my (hypothetical) child to read a book that contains instances of gang rape, genocide, bestiality, and fear mongering in an attempt to indoctrinate them into a mode of religious belief? not one bit
do i want my (hypothetical) child to learn about world religions and eventually read up on several religious texts before making their own decision? damn straight i do

then, after catholic school your child will be very succesful.

...care to back that up with some evidence?

I can tell you that it works. Discipline works wonders. The child will respect you and treat you like a parent. Unlike what you see in public schools.

...now you're generalizing public schools.

posted on Mar, 3 2008 @ 05:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by thisguyrighthere
Private schools are second only to homeschooling.

at indoctrination

What really pisses me off is when people go on attacking private schools by dragging out all this religion crap. Not all private schools are affiliated with religion. I repeat: Not all private schools are affiliated with religion.

yes, but this is a thread about catholic schools...

Yup. Real interesting. If it wasn't for public school I wouldn't have had such easy access to drugs, sex and weapons growing up.

drugs: you learn about those in any chemistry class, the better you do in chemistry, the more you realize how to make drugs out of household items...in fact, the dealers i knew growing up were A students in chemistry at private schools...
sex: ...everyone has sexual organs, and it's not a bad thing
weapons: ...public school doesn't increase the access to weapons of people

And nothing beats making friends with a bunch of kids from the ghetto.

yeah, because you really would rather live in a gated community away from people that have to struggle.

How else would I have learned to steal, fight and sell drugs?

how else would i have learned to date rape, embezzle, and make drugs if i hadn't gone to private school?

oddly enough, the kids that stole, fought, and sold drugs at the public school i went to were the affluent middle class white kids, not the inner city kids from the busing program...

The "melting pot" "meet new people" crap is all fine and dandy but crap rarely rolls uphill if you catch my drift.

your ignorant isolationism astounds me...
who's going to be more socially aware, the prep school student or the person that goes to school with kids from poorer neighborhoods?

The lowest common denominator is what public schools cater to.

not really...they're quite equal in terms of that
i can say this having an experience within both systems, private schooling was good for me, but public schooling helped me grow a lot more as a human being
you don't really learn that much in either school...you just get a better education in the private one, by i means a piece of paper that shows you memorized things and forgot them after the exams at a school that made you memorize more

posted on Mar, 3 2008 @ 05:31 PM
link   

Why did this happen to him you might ask? well, it's the school he was going to.

If my sister was smart enough, she would have send him to a private CS. And the outcome would have been the opposite.

doubtful on both counts.

"My nephew is a punk. he's only 14 and he's already been to Juvi, court and caught with drugs in his backpack. he's rude, obnoxious and treats his mother like garbage. "

It would seem there's more to the cause of such than simply a bunch of kids at school... ANY school.

posted on Mar, 3 2008 @ 05:33 PM
link   
this is only my second post, so if this seems like a n00b post go easy on me

i've read some posts saying that Catholic schools brainwash its students. people have to understand that you don't have to be Catholic to go to a Catholic school, and that most Catholic schools will respect you and will not expect you to practice Catholic rituals if you are not Catholic. to my surprise, a LOT of people in my school are non-Catholic (for example, Jewish, atheist, agnostic, apathetic). Also, religion classes are called "Theology", i.e. we don't worship God in class, but we read religious texts objectively and treat them more like works of literature. Theology classes are pretty similar to philosophy classes.

currently, I go to a catholic high school. my experience is mixed, but overall on the positive side.

i'll start with the positives. There is almost no bullying at all (i've had bad experiences with that in a public school). people are pretty nice and are willing to give you help if you need it. competition is low, and the education quality is great. teachers are very good and want to get to know their students well, and classes are small and discussion-based.

but then, there are a lot of negatives. my school is cliquey as hell, and people are really pretentious. a lot of people act nice and seem to be role models during school, but after school, they become totally different people, try to act cool, drink alcohol, do drugs, having sex, etc. there is a huge alcohol problem and an increasing drug problem (pot and coc aine) in my school, and school spirit is a lot lower than it was when I was a freshman.

wherever you go, there will be some alcohol/drug/sex problems; its pretty much widespread among schools. its a result of the sad plunge downward that the youth of america have been going. but overall, going to a catholic school is a much better choice than going to a public school.

[edit on 3-3-2008 by runnerman]

posted on Mar, 5 2008 @ 10:32 PM
link   

This helps build up similarity and makes it easier for the child to make friends. It also gives the child a better understanding of god. But ultimately, they get the best education out there. From the motherhoods.

I went to catholic school. And It was a great experience. You learn to read the bible in such ways no other school can. don't you want your child to read the bible? sure you do. then, after catholic school your child will be very succesful. I can tell you that it works. Discipline works wonders. The child will respect you and treat you like a parent. Unlike what you see in public schools.

Ultimately, of course it's up to you. I'm just saying, think about it and if you can look it up. it would do wonders for your kids.

jedimiller.
jedi, you do realize that the private schools these days are the ones where kids are having the sex parties and all the best drugs? and catholic school? screw that, did my tour and would never let my kids near a penguin, those women are evil.

posted on Mar, 9 2008 @ 03:07 PM
link   
At present my cousin is 14 and goes to a Catholic School (not private though) and he is the devil... literally. He refuses to say the prayers, read the bible and I've heard that he brings up some rather.... non-catholic discussions in class. I know it's subjective at what you like, but I think that a Catholic school could be the start of rebillion for some children. I'm so happy I went to a state school and got brainwashed without the religion

posted on Mar, 9 2008 @ 04:22 PM
link   
I was educated in a private Catholic girls college in Australia when nuns looked like penguins ...wearing the full black and white habit. My three brothers went to the Christian Brothers college next door.

It is not fun to be forced to read the Bible (any book that does not appeal) attend Mass or Benediction and repent your childish sins to an old bloke in a tiny dark room (confessional).

It is not fun to be segrated because or your gender and grow up not knowing how to relate to males in social settings.

I could rant on but will spare you all the experiene. All I will say is that I chose NOT to send my sons to a Catholic school so they could grow up knowing that they were NOT born with original sin (hello...none of us were there when Eve at that bloody apple!!!), or that they will die and be judged and perhaps condemned to eternal damnation in the fires of hell.

Catholic and indeed, any religious institutions whose purpose is to educate young children should be banned for scaring the pants off little kiddies with fabricated horror stories.

res
the irreligious

[edit on 9-3-2008 by resistancia]

posted on Mar, 9 2008 @ 04:45 PM
link   
Alrighty, I went to Catholic Schools for about eight years, four in middle school, then High School.
What can i say about it?
While Catholic schools cost a good deal of cash, they don't get funded by the government like public schools do. What this means is most of the money you pay goes back into the school, to pay for books, teacher's salary, upgrading the facilities, ect. Because of this, teachers there don't get payed much, which means you end up with teachers who will work for the money, either dedicated, very effective people, or nutjobs.
Neat thing to me, t least, was while we had religion every year, we would also have teachers who made us question the Bible, have us actually learn stuff about it, Buddhism, Islam, ect. Though you also had teachers who were... special. Taught what they believed.
Catholic Schools aren't so bad as long as you have the money for 'em, and can stand being around rich, spoiled kids. Generally, if you're like me, you'll be around people from fairly well of backgrounds.

Now speaking for me personally, I think you end up more or less normal when you leave public schools. I personally kinda wish I'd stayed in the public school Iw as going to before.

posted on Mar, 10 2008 @ 04:38 PM
link   

Private catholic schools are kinda forcing the kids to follow certain Codes without any choice.

.... and public schools a bastions of free speech and liberty?

What is interesting about private schools is that the student can actually approach his/her teachers and talk about religion, ethics, and the troubles of everyday life. Priests and Nuns love to engage people about religious issues (and are very knowledgeable about many world religions) from my experience, and they are allowed to speak unlike public schools. It was through my friends teacher (priest in a private school) that I got in contact with a Rabbi and a Imam (who are the personal friends of the priest) for a world religions project I had.

I am not saying that I prefer private schools, but I am stating something that many people that have never been around a private school do not know.

jedi, you do realize that the private schools these days are the ones where kids are having the sex parties and all the best drugs? and catholic school? screw that, did my tour and would never let my kids near a penguin, those women are evil.

They are the ones getting the attention, but it happens in most schools, and most of the time the media does not care.

I think the state has too much power in education. Teachers (like my mother) are being directed by a bureaucracy how to teach children. No wonder our teachers suck at their job.... they are trying to keep up with the Dept. of Educations latest regulations and curriculums that they run out of time to effectively teach. If the Mainstream Media and the government get their way, there will be no private schools.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join