It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

This flashlight can fry eggs!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 3 2008 @ 02:07 AM
link   

This is a video of the Wicked Lasers "Torch" flashlight, advertised as the most powerful flashlight ever. It's capable of lighting matches, burning paper, and frying eggs.

I had no idea you could get this much power out of a regular flashlight. I always thought you needed a laser to get this kind of power.

There's more information about this on the manufacturer's web site:
Wicked Lasers

I think when I get the money for it, I'm going to buy one.

posted on Mar, 3 2008 @ 02:13 AM
link   
Wow, that seems dangerous. If it can burn paper, it can burn people's skin as well, no?

posted on Mar, 3 2008 @ 03:26 AM
link   
Would anyone be abled to buy me one?

PLEEEAAASSEEEE!?

posted on Mar, 3 2008 @ 10:39 AM
link   
is it just me or do the amount of heat generated suggest a lot of energy wasted that could be used for actual light instead?

Seems to me like bad advertising for that flashlight..

posted on Mar, 3 2008 @ 10:47 AM
link   
I could see it now. LAWSUITS.....Me holding the light for hubby while he's hooking up some electrical something or other, and the plastic wires start on fire in his hands and we burn the house down....

Not quite practicle.

A_L

posted on Mar, 3 2008 @ 10:52 AM
link   
scary: exactly what i was thinking. this is basically a heater that happens to produce light as far as i'm concerned.

posted on Mar, 3 2008 @ 11:31 AM
link   
It produces the heat it does due to the bulb type used. It uses a 100W Halogen bulb.

The energy wasted along with its initial cost makes it simply a very expensive toy. The battery life is 15 minutes. At that rate you would spend the money in batteries that you spent on the flash light in less than a week or perhaps a little more. The flashlight itself costs an initial 300 dollars for that cost it should be cracking the eggs and serving them to me in bed.

You could most likely convert your own flashlight to one of these if you were to get a 100W halogen bulb and could afford the cost of batteries to feed it.

While I agree it is a very bright light one photo they show on the site is somewhat a trick of light as well because they are shining it across snow at night. But lighting up the side of the buildings next door is nice to show brightness. I am sure the neighbors were wondering why there was a bright light coming in their windows though.

Raist

posted on Mar, 3 2008 @ 12:18 PM
link   
Seems to me they should re-think their marketing approach & advertise it as, " A space heater you can also use to read a book! " Keep warm while you read at night! ".

What a waste of energy-

The Sun & a magnifying glass wuould be much more efficient.

Always worked great for lighting firecracker wicks & burning ants-

2PacSade-

posted on Mar, 3 2008 @ 12:27 PM
link   
It could be useful as a battery powered tool to start a fire. Perhaps a sort of high tech Swedish firesteel.

Halogen light disturbs me in any event. There is something about the spectrum of light created that causes me visual disturbance and pain.

posted on Mar, 3 2008 @ 12:48 PM
link   
Using a very bright flashlight in a tactical situation is very common. The main reason is to blind the bad guy to give you a few seconds edge. Just think if some guy with a gun was coming towards you at 30 feet and you hit him in the face with this beam…

posted on Mar, 3 2008 @ 01:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Xtrozero
Using a very bright flashlight in a tactical situation is very common. The main reason is to blind the bad guy to give you a few seconds edge. Just think if some guy with a gun was coming towards you at 30 feet and you hit him in the face with this beam…

Hit him with this in the face and you are likely to fry his eyeballs out of his head. That might not be a bad thing but he would probably sue you then.

I guess after you fried his eyes you could beat him to death with it or set him on fire though.

I hope they have some sort of clause saying they are not responsible for any harm that may come to a person, if not you could get one and make some big time cash after you suffer a great deal of pain that is.

Raist

posted on Mar, 3 2008 @ 07:03 PM
link   
The good news about the battery is that it uses a custom build (in other words, proprietary) rechargeable battery. It costs 20 bucks to replace a battery for it.

It seems to me that this light would be more of a defensive thing than a practical light, or maybe a "Gee-whiz, look what I can do!" thing for people with money to throw around. I just wish I was one of those people!

I'm sure somebody will be filing a lawsuit over this thing eventually. I just hope it doesn't go off the market before my next chance to pony up the dough comes along. I wonder if there's a way one of these could be mounted on a 12 gauge shotgun? Home defense to the extreme!

posted on Mar, 3 2008 @ 07:25 PM
link   
My flood light can do the same thing and its battery doesnt run out in fifteen minutes.

What a rip off.

posted on Mar, 3 2008 @ 07:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Raist
I guess after you fried his eyes you could beat him to death with it or set him on fire though.

Well normally it is easier to just do 2 taps in the chest and one in the head.

posted on Mar, 3 2008 @ 07:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Xtrozero

I think they are using lasers now for that purpose. They feed the beam through a lens which spreads it out. I think wicked lasers actually makes these for the military.

Anyhow it is a waste of energy using those type of bulbs which burn. I'd go for a cree led. Leds will be more expensive, but they draw less current for the same amount of power, have a more correct white color, and last way longer in bulb life.

www.wiseled.com...

www.foxfury.com...

The new leds will be smaller and even more efficient. And with talk of those new nano-carbon batteries, you will have flashlights which will last a lifetime without replacing batteries again, that is if the battery companies don't kill it.

www.news.com...

posted on Mar, 4 2008 @ 03:20 PM
link   
I think it's meant to be more of a novelty than a useful thing. Sort of a magnifying glass and sunlight for the digital age. It might also be the precursor, or the end result, of experiments in nonlethal weapons technology.

This same company is the one that developed the lasers intended to "temporarily" blind people, after all. Their web site even has a link to it, but apparently won't sell to civilians.

Maybe this flashlight thing is intended to be used as a civilian version of the same thing, without having to outright say that's what they're doing?

posted on Jul, 22 2022 @ 04:07 AM
link   
cool try

top topics

join