It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Expert: Arctic polar cap may disappear this summer

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 24 2008 @ 09:17 AM
link   
The continued loss of Arctic summer sea ice has been an ongoing recent trend and seems to be continuing this year. The ice areal coverage in the winter 07 period was larger than the previous year but this new ice was only thin first year ice, not the thck stuff that take years to form, and thus melts very quickly in comparison. The current rate of melting is faster than in previous years probabley due to this thin ice. It is concievable that the Arctic could become summer ice free this year and if not then probabley in a few years if current trends continue. This of course doesn't mean that there won't be ice in the winter and it won't affect the global sea level as the ice isn't on land.

As to the Isostatic rebound associated with retreating land ice, this does play an important role in some parts of the world. In the UK there are a group of islands of the coast of cornwall called the Scilly Isles which are sinking due to the retreat of the Ice sheets from Scotland. There are places there which will be under the sea in the next 100 years due solely to this. In fact the whole of the UK is moving dues to this affect and it must be taken into account when considering future sea levels.

Finally, the Antarctic (AA) is a different situation to the Arctic in terms of ice retreat. The AA ice is mainly land bound and is very thick. It would take a long time for this to melt, and exaclty what is happening to it at the moment is hard to tell. Some parts seem to be thinning some parts are actually getting thicker, so take your pick.

Hope this wasn't too dull

posted on Jun, 24 2008 @ 09:51 AM
link   
reply to post by GradyPhilpott

Yeah adapting to stupidy is exactly what your post is.

RUBBISH.

Adapting to a world that changes is life. Talking about adapting and polluting our world is not adapting.

People like you say this crap all the time. SITTING on our asses and letting pollution go up the chimney and getting up at 7am getting your gaz guzzeller started for work everyday after work come home and do the same all over the next day, constantly taking no regards to the envirnment with the attitude you just spoke of. etc. This is not adapting. This is stupid. Btw I'm not attacking you, I'm attacking the post, and the attitude people keep allowing or keep making excuses for what is really happening outside your door.

Adapting is changing, making improvements to your life, getting to understand your environment., your words exactly shows ignorance of your enviroment.

I cannot understand people who post nonsense like that, oh but its life, lets just sit and wait, if we survive we will celebrate if a glacier lands on my house, I turn on the T.V......

[edit on 24-6-2008 by mind is the universe]

posted on Jun, 24 2008 @ 09:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by GradyPhilpott
If it does disappear, despite whatever catastrophes might result, this would be good for the shipping industry as long as Canada and Russia don't go to war.

I wish people would come to realize that climate change is a fact of life on earth. There were climate changes before humans evolved. There were climate changes after we evolved and there will continue to be climate changes even if it hare lips every cat in Georgia.

Adaptation is the key to life on earth. Adapt or die.

[edit on 2008/6/12 by GradyPhilpott]

Hear,hear, that is exactly what I miss most in this website, a desire to survive,
seems like a bunch of old women looking for someone to blame and spouting I told you so forever and a day. Change happens, our planet will take care of itself, if you are aware of that start looking for a place that will stay warm and dry.

posted on Jun, 24 2008 @ 09:56 AM
link   
reply to post by survivalsurfer

Lol...

posted on Aug, 22 2008 @ 12:44 AM
link   
The polar ice is suddenly melting faster...

Polar ice melting faster

20 Aug 2008

Norwegian researchers sounded new alarms on Wednesday, after collecting new data showing a faster rate of ice melting in the Arctic areas they follow.

[---]

Koc, who's also a professor at the University of Tromsø, said neither she nor her colleagues could explain why the ice is melting more quickly. She said the developments, however, were "dramatic" and "can have major consequences.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

posted on Aug, 22 2008 @ 03:15 PM
link   
Thanx for that article, def. keeping an eye on this,
It's interesting stuff,
Sven

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join