It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Japan: Whaling ship attacked with acid

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 3 2008 @ 12:31 AM
link   

Japan: Whaling ship attacked with acid

www.cnn.com

Four crew members on board a Japanese whaling ship in Antarctic waters were injured Monday when an anti-whaling group threw butyric acid on board, a top Japanese official said.

Japanese Vice Foreign Minister Itsunori Onodera announced the incident at an international seminar for African and Asian delegates to the International Whaling Commission.

Onodera said someone on the activist boat, the Steve Irwin, threw bags of butyric acid aboard the Japanese vessel the Nisshin Maru.

Onodera did not elaborate on the extent of the injuries, simply telling the audience that the crew complained of injuries after the bags of acid hit the ship.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 3 2008 @ 12:31 AM
link   
Save The Whales!!!!!!

www.cnn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 3 2008 @ 12:41 AM
link   
Isn't that an assault with a deadly weapon? Next time I suggest just shoot in self defense if they try that again.

posted on Mar, 3 2008 @ 12:47 AM
link   
reply to post by PsykoOps

Fair enough, if they cant keep their hands (so to speak) to themselves then something should be done about it.

-fm

posted on Mar, 3 2008 @ 02:00 AM
link   
Considering the fancy term they use for the 'deadly weapon' is just another way of saying spoilt butter, then this isn't all that bad.
Also, if you put this in contrast with their other methods of stopping whaling ships (ramming them with specially strengthened ships. Sunk 10 so far) then getting a bit of rancid butter on your boots seems a very nice alternative.

I support them in every respect and plan to volunteer to crew the ships.

posted on Mar, 3 2008 @ 03:41 AM
link   
reply to post by watch_the_rocks

I'm from australia and these waters are OUR waters!
We have every right to defend them. Our southern oceans are the LAST relatively untouched waters in the world, they are world heritage, they are whales breeding ground, and dammit there ours! The japanese have no right to be fishing there in the first place, besides the fact that international courts have expressly said it is illegal, what they are doing to fish stocks is immoral!
They use an enourmous mother/processing ship with a fleet of other support ships, and basicly take everything they can.I'm not being rascist but many asian countries have to raid other countries stocks because they have obliterated their own! What is the point of micro-managing our stocks at the dettrement of our own fishermen, only to have a bunch of japanese, thousands of miles from home SNEAKING in and raping them?
A little bit of acid should be the least of their concerns!
Unfortunately, our government allways takes the diplomatic angle, which, I am afraid I have to kind of agree to,(just to keep the peace) and so it's left to renegade forces to uphold the will of the people. Our current government was voted in BECAUSE of this issue(and others but this one was strong point)
and even after international courts ruled in our favour, they still don't do anything! Maybe because the japanese navy is a little bit bigger then ours?
Killing whales just sucks, but then again, there are, I think it was something like, one hundred and thirty odd million japanese, and they produce only thirty two percent of their food, I guess it's got to come from somewhere.
Oh and the oceans they are raping, dont BELONG to australia as they are international waters, still, it's in our backyard. The fish stocks there are delecate, and easy to overfish, not so easy to restock,in other words when there gone there gone, where will the japanese move after that?
edit; not having a go at ya mate, i agree with you all the way!!!

[edit on 3-3-2008 by skribal]

new topics

top topics

join