It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Study Finds Spanking Leads to Devient Masochistic Sex Lives as Adults

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 2 2008 @ 07:23 PM
link   

Study Finds Spanking Leads to Devient Masochistic Sex Lives as Adults

www.physorg.com

(AP) -- New research by a University of New Hampshire domestic abuse expert says spanking children affects their sex lives as adults. Professor Murray Straus concludes that children who are spanked are more likely as adults to coerce partners to have sex, to have unprotected sex and to have masochistic sex.

Other studies have shown the link between spanking and physical violence, but Straus said his research is the first to show a link between corporal punishment and sexual behavior.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 2 2008 @ 07:23 PM
link   
So we'll see if this has any effect on the percentage of parents who spank their kids. I'm not sure if I'm 100% sure of the results, but I can say that a lot of the parents who are into corporal punishment are they types who were probably spanked as a child. And, it would stand to reason that those spanking may derive some twisted sort of masochistic pleasure out of it.

www.physorg.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 2 2008 @ 07:38 PM
link   
You've got to be kidding me. That just takes the cake!

My brothers and I were spanked as kids...I won't speak for them but I guarantee you that I have never coerced anyone to have sex, I won't say 100% of the time growing up I used protection, but the majority of the time I did until my husband and I decided to have children. And masochistic...please...I'm the first to whine when my husband is on my hair or pokes an elbow into me.

Michelle

Edit to add: I should add too that asking college kids if they're into deviant sex is probably going to skew the numbers on that survey too LOL I would think most people that age are into a little bit of experimentation. And the desperation would probably have them coercing each and every person they met of the opposite sex to jump into bed with them.

There are just so many factors that go into a survey like this and I think they should've asked a larger cross section of people.

[edit on 2-3-2008 by Michelle129]

posted on Mar, 2 2008 @ 07:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Michelle129

I agree. My dad spanked the heck out of me when I was young, and if anything, I prefer to let the females take the initiative with me, lol. I won't tell a parent one way or the other how to discipline their child (as long as they're not beating them silly), but for me, a few spankings as a kid kept me in line, and I always stayed out of trouble so I didn't get any additional ones,haha.

posted on Mar, 2 2008 @ 07:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by DimensionalDetective
I agree. My dad spanked the heck out of me when I was young, and if anything, I prefer to let the females take the initiative with me, lol.

Wow, so I guess it does affect you huh?

Anyway, it's likely there were other contributing factors, and they did only ask college students, so I'm not counting on the numbers.

posted on Mar, 2 2008 @ 07:56 PM
link   
Ahhh another wit and humour thread....spanking children will not make them sex deviants any more than not spanking them. I will say that spanking a child that wants to put his or her hand on a stove is both prudent and caring. I know there is some wisenut who would say "if the child burns themselves then they would learn a lesson" but I for one think that's the type of lesson my child can do without!

I always see these parents in the malls with there little rug rats running around out of control, who then say to the kid "Come here Billy or else your gonna get a timeout." Disipline your children before they grow up and kick your ass....These are Clock-Work Orange times we are living in. Timeouts are for Basketball, Football and soccer!

[edit on 2-3-2008 by realmatrix]

[edit on 2-3-2008 by realmatrix]

[edit on 3-3-2008 by realmatrix]

posted on Mar, 2 2008 @ 08:03 PM
link   
Never mind

[edit on 3-3-2008 by RedGolem]

posted on Mar, 2 2008 @ 08:03 PM
link   
So, is it a tactic by the liberal left to hit conservative parents where it hurts, in their children's pants?

And how successful do you think it will be as a deterant?

posted on Mar, 2 2008 @ 08:04 PM
link   
This doesn't surprise me.

Having known people who grew up in extremely strict/abusive households, they're all a bit, errr, weird to say the least. And most of them go on to repeat the abuse with their own kids - I have had the misfortune to see that up close.

Growing up with too little discipline can cause it's own problems, of course.

posted on Mar, 2 2008 @ 08:08 PM
link   
I don't know what to say, I grew up in family that believed in spanking I also spanked my kids as children when they were growing when needed.

Neither my brothers or me or my now adult children look like we may be deviant Masochistic sex crazy or what ever.

So does this mean that it could affect one group of people over the other? I am Spanish after all.

posted on Mar, 2 2008 @ 08:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rasobasi420
Anyway, it's likely there were other contributing factors, and they did only ask college students, so I'm not counting on the numbers.

AHAHAHAHA, well that pretty much settles it. College students trying to engage in sex? There must be some reason for it. It couldn't be they are just young adults who have their horomones pumping and really want to get laid at any cost. No, it must be some abuse caused to them.

posted on Mar, 2 2008 @ 08:13 PM
link   
reply to post by marg6043

Well the study rated students by how strongly they answered the question: "I was spanked or hit a lot before age 12."

So I suspect they got a lot of people who were not just spanked occasionally, but physically abused on a regular basis.

posted on Mar, 2 2008 @ 08:17 PM
link   
I wonder about this so call studies I think they are manipulated by the ones trying to prove their theories.

Choosing one particular group or just been selective of the subject will add a lot of credibility to the study and the desirable results.

posted on Mar, 2 2008 @ 08:19 PM
link   
What a bull poop study. Spare the rod, spoil the child. Discipline does not make people sexual deviants. The lack of discipline does. I was spanked thouroughly as a child and I'm not masochistic or deviant in any way. Hogwash.

posted on Mar, 2 2008 @ 08:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by deesw
What a bull poop study. Spare the rod, spoil the child. Discipline does not make people sexual deviants. The lack of discipline does. I was spanked thouroughly as a child and I'm not masochistic or deviant in any way. Hogwash.

Well I was spanked daily and now I'm a total freak. You know, whips and chains and stuff, so I think your opinion is hogwash.

This is a massive study based on large numbers of examinations statistical analysis. Of course there are plenty of people who don't fit the standard, but there are allegedly more that do. That's how these things work.

posted on Mar, 2 2008 @ 08:37 PM
link   
Frankly, I don't think there is anything wrong with a little kink in the bedroom, as long as it's between consenting adults.

I was spanked as a child and on occasion spanked my children. I would consider my children to be pretty normal, as for myself, well thats another story. Still, I don't think spanking had anything to do with it.

Some people are born masochist, some are born sadist and if they are lucky they find each other and live happily ever after. Just as some are born gay or Lesbian or any other sexual deviation you would like to tick off.

When my son was a few years old we lived in a house that had a field in front and at the end of that field was a highway that had a blind curve just a few hundred feet on one end. One day we all got home and after everyone was out of the car he took off running towards the highway. By the time I noticed he was almost to the highway and I started screaming and running after him. A car came around the curve really fast and he was heading right out in front of it. I got there just in time and pulled him out of the road and I spanked his ass all the way back to the house. I don't think I did anything wrong, He never ran to the highway again.

Then again, the other day he called me up to say he had slept with three girls at the same time the night before.

If only I had run towards a highway as a child

posted on Mar, 2 2008 @ 08:37 PM
link   
I think the study is speaking about regualar spankings, not so much the few and deserved ones. I was probably spanked under ten times in my life, and believe me, they we're all warrented. My brother never was spanked, maybe he saw it happen to me a couple times and learned through observation. And I'm NOT into devient sex and have never wanted to be in a physical fight. When pain is involved, I'm such a wus! Growing up my mom was a socail worker and taught parenting classes. When I was a teen I did alot of childcare for the classes, I can tell you that physically abused kids do have a strange way of showing affection and can be very agressive towards others. No doubt that some of those traits would follow them to adulthood.

posted on Mar, 2 2008 @ 08:44 PM
link   
What a bunch of crock.
Good old fashioned discipline is what has been missing in todays society.

posted on Mar, 2 2008 @ 08:51 PM
link   
Dunno, in my experience the ones that brag about how "tough" their parents were are usually the same addled idiots that start fights in bars, beat their kids, leave their wives & kids for younger women, and vote for Bush

Letting you kids run amok with no parental oversight is certainly going to make them nuts.
Beating the crap out of them on a regular basis seems to have the same result, which is what this study really shows IMHO.

posted on Mar, 2 2008 @ 09:07 PM
link   
I believe it's abuse with those studies, because if you bring your children up right with spankings as a lesson and let them know why they got that spanking then it's to teach them respect and right from wrong. If you slap your kids around and beat them because they inconvenanced you then it's abuse. As far as the sexual behavior, ya I can see where the abuse could make you the abuser later in life. It's still all about choices you make in life, you choose to be that way. I know people who have been abused by their parents and are completely different from them and chose to be a good person. I guess the study has to pin it on something, so why not sex.

<<   2  3  4 >>

join