It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ATS post page spellcheck

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 3 2008 @ 03:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Beachcoma

i know its backed up
but it happens to often and its a pain
having to always restore

posted on Mar, 3 2008 @ 03:16 PM
link   
There is a very simple way to get better spelling, grammar and correct word choice.

I have submitted this idea to ATS 'suggestions' at least twice and got no reply or no action.

My conclusion is that they don't want to bother, don't care or maybe they get so many suggestions that they can't read them all.

The best way to deal is to just cringe and ignore it.

What is this simple way.

Yeah, like I'm gonna mention it again.

(Hint: it involves rewarding good spelling and grammar, rather than punishing it).

posted on Mar, 3 2008 @ 04:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Badge01
What is this simple way.

Yeah, like I'm gonna mention it again.

(Hint: it involves rewarding good spelling and grammar, rather than punishing it).

Even if nobody else is listening, I am, and I would appreciate it if you could say it again here.

Kind regards S_G

posted on Mar, 3 2008 @ 05:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by bodrul

it seems to delete my Favorites every month if i am lucky or every week,
i dont trust it

Never heard that one before.
I was one of the first beta testers of Firefox and have used it exclusively from even before it was released to the public. Never once have my Bookmarks been deleted.

posted on Mar, 3 2008 @ 07:15 PM
link   
reply to post by anxietydisorder

then you are one lucky bugger
mine always did
made a topic in BTS in the computer area about it and also found out loads of people also have this problem on google search.

posted on Mar, 3 2008 @ 07:35 PM
link   
Pardon me if this has been posted, but this program works as well, or better than anything that could be put on the board. In fact, some boards have a button for this program, even if you have to have it installed on your hard drive.

So the easist thing to do is install it and access it by right-clicking.

From my critically-acclaimed, boilerplate welcome post:

Here's an excellent little, unobtrusive spell checker in case you need one: ieSpell 2.5.1 build 106

[edit on 2008/3/4 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Mar, 3 2008 @ 09:47 PM
link   
Shortly after I joined ATS I read a post that had so many spelling errors that it curled my hair. So, I posted to the OP that he had many spelling mistakes and might want to be more careful so that his posts would get more respect as his ideas were very good and well thought out.

Then the next post was from a member that found errors in my spelling and rudely corrected me. He suggested several spell check programs.

Unfortunately I noticed a few errors in his post and corrected him in the next post.

He sent a snide U2U to me and then added me to his foe list.

From that moment on I used the IE spell check.

I have never again corrected another poster and will never do so.

It sure seemed like over kill to be added to the posters foe list over spelling mistakes. I have noticed spelling errors in his posts since then but ignore them.

I learned my lesson well. We are adults and really don't need other posters correcting our spelling and/or grammar.

OP I do understand how you feel. Just keep posting and don't let this bother you.

Dizziedame

edited for spelling

[edit on 3-3-2008 by dizziedame]

posted on Mar, 3 2008 @ 10:59 PM
link   
reply to post by dizziedame

I can't even give you a star for that post dizziedame, but you deserve one.
I hope a Mod drops by this thread and gives you an "Applause".

posted on Mar, 4 2008 @ 09:08 AM
link   
I'd urge everyone to just drop this issue and develop a thick skin.

After all, most people who abuse the language have posts that are eminently skipable, actually saving time.

Hope this helps.

posted on Mar, 4 2008 @ 10:50 AM
link   
reply to post by dizziedame

Although I don't mention errors unless a post looks to be almost a different language I do believe that some need that prompting since it's so easy to make corrections.

Everyone makes incidental errors in spelling and grammar on occasion and I think most can see the difference. The only time it really bothers me to see someone corrected is when it's done specifically to insult. Usually happening after someone is offended and uses grammar to retaliate.

As for the firefox issue, I too have had firefox since inception and have never had any of the mentioned issues happen. No offense but it may be directly related to ability or knowledge of ones PC. I can remember back in 94' having to call IBM every other week and more than once having them guide me thru a complete dump and reload (which I later found wasn't necessary on most occasions). I eventually learned about my PC, how it ticked and how to master the internet (almost). Many late nights of reading manuals, doing online research and just plain repetition. Today I am proud to say that I am slightly more educated than in 94'.

It also didn't take me long to realize that most advanced forums don't like to see too many post errors or that acronym slang stuff.

posted on Mar, 4 2008 @ 11:03 AM
link   
I go to a few other sites' forums and nowhere do I see the level of 'ignorance' of the English language that I do here.

However, I suspect that such things are very low on the list of priorities; in fact, ask yourself which posts generate post count? Issues like this are contentious and generate hits for ATS. So it would be foolish for them to deny -this- type of ignorance.

However, if making your point is useful to you, I'd suggest you learn about homonyms, grammar and spelling. My first reaction, when I read someone posting 'your' instead of 'you're' is I automatically think, 'this is probably a content-free post; hopefully they finish school' and move on to the next post. But that's just me.

[edit on 4-3-2008 by Badge01]

posted on Mar, 4 2008 @ 12:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Badge01
I go to a few other sites' forums and nowhere do I see the level of 'ignorance' of the English language that I do here.

Really? I would put this site high on the list if I were to rank the many forums I've frequented. Of course if the most popular word used is the big "F", it's not likely that spelling and grammar are going to be a big deal.

Now that you mention "Your" a couple of others would be:

noone in place of 'no one'.

Their or there in place of 'they are' or 'they're'.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join