It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ATS post page spellcheck

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 2 2008 @ 06:47 PM
link   
Almost every thread I have read today has had multiple spelling and grammatical errors amongst the posts.

I, along with many others here, take a few seconds before posting to check our spelling, usually with a free online spell check program such as this one LINK

Most of us will read over our sentences before hitting the post button too, just to make sure that they will actually make sense to everyone.

This board is full of highly intelligent, free thinking and extremely open minded people, and even the most educated of us can make mistakes, I also know that there a lot of people here for whom English is not their first Language, and they make some of the more fluent English speakers seem practically alien.

I would like to request a Spell check button on the post page to aid the thoughts of the many to become clearer to all, it can be quite off putting when reading posts full of spelling errors.

If this is not possible maybe a link, or at the very least for members to open the link I have provided and add it to there favorites.

This is one of the most visited and greatest sites on the Internet and I am sure we would all like to see the quality of the content reflecting that.

Even if you think that you don't make mistakes please just take a few extra seconds to check your spelling as I and many others do.

Before you comment on my grammar I would like to add that when I use my spell check I find errors 90% of the time, but I fix them.

posted on Mar, 2 2008 @ 06:56 PM
link   
Spell check? ah' duzn't need no spell check. Ya' know? ah' do well widout some spell check. Ya' know? Spell checkin' be fo' chickens! Right on!

Actually, if you want to spell check your posts before posting them, it's fine of course. If the gramatical structure is off (which is usually the case for people like me, who don't have english as their first language), it won't help. But it helps to get the words spelled correctly. More respect...

posted on Mar, 2 2008 @ 07:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hellmutt
Spell check? ah' duzn't need no spell check. Ya' know? ah' do well widout some spell check. Ya' know? Spell checkin' be fo' chickens! Right on!

I have been sat here reading ATS all day today, being a Sunday, and it has all been quite sensible and serious, until now!

I haven't laughed that hard in months, in fact I think that is the first time I have laughed out loud at anything on this site.

You just made my day!!

Thank you!! thats better than any Spell Check button.

posted on Mar, 2 2008 @ 09:00 PM
link   
I use the Firefox browser with the Dictionary add-on.
You can even get multiple languages here, and can add any words you want it to ignore if you want to train it to particular spellings.

Here's an axaple of what appeers if I start to spell wurds spelled wronge.-

The little red lines tell you you've made a mistake.
You can retype the word, or just click it to have it corrected.

The drop down gives you the option to correct or tell it to accept that spelling every time you enter it it the future.

(Nine out of ten professional linguists recommend spell checking).......

Even though most of the members make a lot of spelling errors, including me, I still understand the point they're trying to make. If I can pick my way through the mistakes and get the grasp of their intent, I can work from there to make a reply.

ATS attracts a very diverse number of people from all over the world, many without English as their first language. We also have younger members that are still learning the language in grade school, people that just didn't get far in school, and those that just speak one of the many dialects of English.

I don't care how you communicate, I'll always make an effort to understand what you have to say.

posted on Mar, 2 2008 @ 11:02 PM
link   
Pet peeve number one..

People who constantly interrupt threads with spelling corrections...

I go out of my way to check if spelling etc is correct... but I type a LOT of posts, I cut and paste a LOT of text and sometimes late at night when you can barely focus on the screen anymore you get typelexia... [sp?]

To have someone ignore the contribution to harp on spelling errors to me is ridiculous. Many also are not fluent in English text as has been pointed out... this came about in a recent post in the John Lear Moon thread...

This post...
www.abovetopsecret.com...

My reply...

I once posted a link to a Department of Defence document... and was 'pounced' on by a chap for misspelling 'Defence' I say 'chap' because he was from England...

He was using this 'correction' as an attack... assuming I was an American... The thing is I was born in Germany and grew up in Canada, where Defence IS the correct spelling...

I call spelling and grammar correctors "English teachers" because thats what grade school English teachers do without thing... constantly have the need to correct others

ArMaP's response at my attempt in Portuguese...

Communication is not that hard...

Stop nit picking and focus on the points made

posted on Mar, 3 2008 @ 02:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by zorgon

Stop nit picking and focus on the points made

Please don't get me wrong, I tried to make this thread as friendly as possible, and as I said I do understand that there are a lot of people on ATS for whom English is not their first language and I am not insulting anyone.

I would never derail a thread by trying to correct anybody's spelling, or take anyone less serious or ignore there point, I hope that we are all above that.

I have found that some people can take things the wrong way sometimes because a post is rushed and typed quickly, partly I suppose that if people were to read over what they have written they would probably notice things that seem unintentionally insulting and save an off topic argument (I hate that, why do I want to read one persons dislike for somebody else) and they might also see a spelling mistake or two and be able to correct them.

Is life really that short that we cant take the time to express ourselves clearly.

posted on Mar, 3 2008 @ 02:43 AM
link   

Pet peeve number one..

People who constantly interrupt threads with spelling corrections...

Here, this card might help next time.

posted on Mar, 3 2008 @ 02:50 AM
link   

ArMaP's response at my attempt in Portuguese...

Communication is not that hard...

This is a quote from a couple of posts above the one you have pointed out.

Originally posted by ArMaP
reply to post by weedwhacker

One of the reasons I started posting on ATS was to practise my written English, as this was (and still is) the weakest point in my knowledge of the English language, due to the fact that I learnt it only by hearing it on the TV and on the movies. When I was in school English was just optional, and I was not interested in spending even more time at school.

When I am tired my English is affected because I have more difficulty finding the right words, but I think that I write better than I did back in 2004.

Oh, and the spell-checker on Opera is very handy.

PS: my forum name is ArMaP, with a capital "P".

So I get your point, and maybe you get mine 'ArMaP takes the time to use the spell checker on Opera too' (Same thread)

posted on Mar, 3 2008 @ 03:08 AM
link   
reply to post by Beachcoma

Ah, somebody just close this thread, it was a stupid idea anyway.

I don't come on ATS to be insulted, I am certainly not a Nazi, and I don't want an argument.

I visit this site to hopefully open my mind and better myself with knowledge and ideas from the wealth of other members experience, not be judged and classed as a troll.

I thought this topic might inspire people to improve the quality of ATS above the other forums out there, I was tiered and It was the early hours of the morning when I started this thread but I know now I should not have.

Kindest regards S_G

posted on Mar, 3 2008 @ 03:31 AM
link   
Please don't misconstrue an attempt at humor as an insult.
You have a valid topic here, and just tossing it out the window isn't productive.

I don't think anyone has been intentionally insulting to this point, especially not Beachcoma.

posted on Mar, 3 2008 @ 03:44 AM
link   
Yeah, lighten up, mate. I was just being silly, and that post was mainly for zorgon

Besides, I have no problem with proper spelling. I have no problem with people wanting a better standard of spelling. I do have a problem with people who pipe in a thread to correct small errors like the confusion people tend to have between "their" and "they're" for example. Or those people who when they have no better argument on their side, they resort to something along the lines of "at least I can spell".

You're neither of those, are you?

posted on Mar, 3 2008 @ 04:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by Beachcoma
Yeah, lighten up, mate. I was just being silly, and that post was mainly for zorgon

You're neither of those, are you?

Ok, maybe I was being a bit over sensitive, it is just that I am getting so used to a lot people on this board needing an argument for fulfillment, that I have got used to walking away, I am here to open my eyes not feel demeaned.

It shouldn't have to be that way, but unfortunately it is.

I can understand 99.99% of everything addressed on this board and I would never insult any individual in a thread by summarizing spelling errors, my point really has arisen from the fact that my spelling is awful at times and I have gone years without actually realizing, I haven't noticed any complaints about it but I would like to inspire people to take the same action I now do in making my point as clear as it can be.

I love this site, I spend a lot of time here and try and visit every day, and I strive to better my own and everyone else's experience here through my own extra efforts.

I have no complaint, I just want to help.

(And no I don't think that I am either)

Regards S_G

posted on Mar, 3 2008 @ 07:22 AM
link   
reply to post by xSMOKING_GUNx

Actually, I agree with you... why isnt there a spell check button when we post our replies.

Im thinking more about myself (selfish I know) than other people, bit of a perfectionist when it comes to spelling.

Also im sure if we had this option then everyone would use it.

Regards,

JQ.

posted on Mar, 3 2008 @ 07:33 AM
link   
Reminds me of a thread on another forum I saw last night called "Speeeling is 4 looozers yo!"

I agree. I know I'd sure use it if we had one! There have been times when I edit my post three times because of spelling errors or the occasional word that just gets completely left out.

posted on Mar, 3 2008 @ 09:44 AM
link   
xSMOKING_GUNx

Please don't stop posting suggestions or opinions; the site has been a touch grumpy lately. I assume it is growing pains.

posted on Mar, 3 2008 @ 10:13 AM
link   
I use Firefox it has spell check built in, and it seems more stable then IE but I have ran into situations ware IE is the only Browser that works. it depends on what Language the page is coded in.

posted on Mar, 3 2008 @ 10:46 AM
link   
Ok this was originally a U2U I sent to someone else, but it's not really anything secret and it pertains to spellcheckers, so I'm reposting parts of it here:

Spells and curses

If you're using Internet Explorer, the Google Toolbar can do the spell-checking for you. If you're using Firefox, the latests versions support a built-in spell-check function. You can also use Google Toolbar with Firefox, but personally I prefer not to clutter the program with too many add-ons (you will need to download the dictionary, though)

Give it a try. Here are the links:

Google Toolbar
Firefox 2
British English dictionary add-on (for Firefox 2)
US English dictionary add-on (for Firefox 2)
Link to all the other dictionary add-ons for Firefox 2

[edit on 3/3/2008 by Beachcoma]

posted on Mar, 3 2008 @ 11:39 AM
link   
reply to post by anxietydisorder

I also use that firefox add-on but unfortunately it seems that it's lacking in number of words that it knows.

I will often write my posts in Word and then transfer them back here if it's a long post. However, for the most part I use the firefox thing.

I do think spelling and grammar are very important and I do my best to limit mistakes. To not run a check is just lazy since it takes less time to do than apologize for errors.

posted on Mar, 3 2008 @ 02:32 PM
link   
reply to post by anxietydisorder

firefox is cool for these things
but i dont use the pile of sh*** for one reason
it seems to delete my Favorites every month if i am lucky or every week,
i dont trust it

posted on Mar, 3 2008 @ 02:39 PM
link   
reply to post by bodrul

Does it happen after the program crashes? If so, your bookmarks may still exist. This post of mine details how to restore it.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join