It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Did nature deviate from its purpose?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 2 2008 @ 03:33 PM
link   
Assume for a moment that nature is a living entity outside of all creatures living within it. Assume that the DNA that composes/conducts all of our bodily make-up and functions has a life of its own that is sentient and controls evolution.

The second sentence may seem far fetched when we consider that DNA is so minuscule that we need a microscope to see it but let's put ourselves into perspective - take a sheet of A4 paper, use a pen and place a single blue dot into the middle of the paper, put the paper in the middle of a wall in your home, stand back about ten paces, can you still see the blue dot? How small is that dot compared to that page? Compare it to that wall. That dot is Earth, everything else is this Universe. Think about how big a human being is relative to that dot? I'm not saying things are to scale but I would hazard a guess that that wall should be much, much bigger to get a more accurate comparison.

As a side note, did you know that a cell knows how well and healthy it is by listening to its neighbours? When it's neighbours tell it that it is unwell, it kills itself. I mention this to give you the idea that communication and computation occur at cellular level, I'm not saying a cell is conscious but I am saying it is a living, social entity in much the same way that ants form the cells of an ant nest.

I'm asking these questions because I have a feeling that nature has it's own agenda for allowing human consciousness to develop.

As far as we know, nature got along fine without humans and consciousness for many, many years. I'm not saying that other creatures haven't been conscious in the past. I'm not saying that we are the first technological civilisation to be developed by human beings (we've achieved a lot in 10,000 years, why couldn't we have not done this before at some point in the previous 240,000 years). Why did nature, in my opinion, allow the perfectly well working, non-conscious computer system that is the brain to devolve into a quirky system that needs an identity to learn to control both the brain and the body?

I'm thinking that after numerous mass extinctions caused by uncertainties within the Universe i.e asteroids, multiple volcanic eruptions, earthquakes, floods and so forth, that DNA (hence nature) decided to build an imperfect machine perfectly designed to avert or contain catastrophe or preserve DNA's other creations. Nature definitely puts a lot of its resources into us and lets us currently get away with a lot of things that are bad for nature's other creations at the present time. But think about this, there has to be a reason that nature lets us go on as we do. If nature wanted to kill us she could easily create something to do it. We are not particularly strong compared to many other animals so nature must have protected us at some point in our early evolution.

What if DNA is a self replicating machine, alien to this planet, designed to facilitate the terraformation of this planet for an alien race. What if the DNA program developed a quark and we are the result? As an alien, what would your response be? How would you feel?

posted on Mar, 23 2008 @ 09:08 AM
link   
So nature is a living entity and DNA is created from that entity. DNA is it's sentient being. I can go along with all this. I guess nature created DNA and evolving organisms to coexist at first and sort of fight for dominance. Once dominant the organism can go about 2 different paths I see. First path is becoming a sort of cancer like being that runs rampant and is clearly a mistake to be dealt with. The second path would be an organism so powerful that it not only coexists with nature that it actualy improves it and makes it better even stronger.
I imagine an alien studying us now would see a more cancer like organism that is clearly on the first path. But I think they would also see our potential to become something positive on the universe too.
At this point it's hard to tell whether we've deviated from our path. We have the ability to alter our own evolution. It's hard to say whether that's good or bad. It's clearly good but it seems like some things are coming at the wrong time. For instance the internet a crude form of melding our conscious thoughts together regardless of barriers. I feel like maybe we should have been patient and waited for this to happen naturaly.

posted on Mar, 25 2008 @ 02:29 AM
link   
Or perhaps the DNA is evolving and maturing through and with us. Personally, I would see the DNA's self-awareness as our 'souls' (or as our sub-conscious minds for all you atheists).

posted on Mar, 25 2008 @ 06:48 AM
link   
Or perhaps someone needs to read about what DNA is, how evolution works, and how we are a part of the animal kingdom just like every other animal

top topics

join