It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Needing Help

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 2 2008 @ 01:28 PM
link   
With all of the wonderfully varied expertises represented here at ATS, I'm hoping someone can help answer this for me.

The safety information around silver iodide states:

Stability
Light-sensitive. Incompatible with strong oxidizing agents.

Source: www.pcl.ox.ac.uk...

My question is this... can anyone explain what happens to silver iodide when it encounters an oxidizing agent? Specifally, using perchlorate as the oxidizing agent.

Link to perchlorate at Wiki: en.wikipedia.org...

Any help is most appreciated.

posted on Mar, 2 2008 @ 02:42 PM
link   
It could initiate more than one reactions such as:

I- + ClO4- --> I2, IO-, IO2-, IO3- + Cl2, ClO-, ClO2-, ClO3- : + ICl, etc etc.

Depending on the amount and temperature, or if coexistence of organic species, the consequence could be: toxic gases emission, temperature increase, explosion, etc....

Any way, don't mix them. I- is reductive. ClO4- is oxidative. They are IMCOMPATIBLE.

posted on Mar, 2 2008 @ 05:07 PM
link   
Thank you for the repl, fuelcell..

If you have time, could you answer a few more questions for me?

We know that silver iodide is being used in cloud seeding:

Source:
en.wikipedia.org...

So in light of the incompatability of silver iodide and something like perchlorate, why would they use Perchlorate in an experimental capacity with cloud seeding?

Source:
www.dtsc.ca.gov...

Scroll towards the bottom of the pdf document and you'll see it second from the bottom. It appears that the concentration levels being used are not known.

Now I know that Perchlorate is used in flares. With your knowledge, is it possible to use perchlorate in hygroscopic flares? Or would they need a different approach to cloud seeding altogether?

Here is a good pic of the hygroscopic flares.

Source:
www.weathermodification.org...

Additionally, it is my understanding that silver iodide is not water soluable, meaning that it stays intact in water? Do I have that right? If so, than is my assumption that the silver iodide they release in cloud seeding would be returned to the earth via the precipitation caused by the cloud seeding? Now in areas where there is heavy cloud seeding ie California, where there is also heavy levels of perchlorate contamination in the ground water, wells, etc, what kind of effects would one typically expect in humans, animals, plants, etc?

I know that perchlorate can and does reduce the thyroid's ability to intake iodine and leads to hypothyroidism, so that's a bit nasty in it's own right...but any educated guesses on what happens should you ingest both silver iodide and perchlorate which are incompatible?

I have written to: www.weathermodification.org... asking for more information regarding the experimental use of perchlorate in cloud seeding. I doubt they'll answer but it'll be interesting to see what reply I do receive, if I do receive one.

Anyway.. I stunk in science as a teenager but any info you or anyone else can provide is really appreciated. I have no clue why I am so intrigued by all of this, but I just can't seem to let it go.

posted on Mar, 2 2008 @ 05:22 PM
link   
I think I may have found my own answer, if someone could just confirm for me.

Perchlorate is a salt. So in this explanation:
findarticles.com...

It appears that hygroscopic flares would indeed be the flares using perchlorate in a different appraoch to cloud seeding rather than using silver iodide:

The strategy behind hygroscopic salts exploits a different way of making rain--one that occurs over the oceans. "You're actually trying to modify the continental clouds to be more maritime in character, because that is exactly what the oceans do," says Terblanche. "They seed clouds with small salt particles, and the maritime clouds are much more efficient in producing rainfall."

Hmmm.okay...so it appears that silver iodide may be replaced by perchlorate in cloud seeding. I'm guessing that I shouldn't be happy about that, am I right?

new topics

top topics

join